CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
TSJFan4Ever
Forgiveness Man
Chris
Nystyle709
Alan Smithee
Bluesmama
Supernova
Shale
RedBedroom
13 posters

Would you accomodate this request?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Would you accomodate this request? Empty Would you accomodate this request?

Post by RedBedroom Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:03 am

My son has been chumming around with a new friend from his grade. The kid seems like a good boy and this week they were out in the yard and my son hadn't had anything to eat, so I invited them in for a snack.

Apparently this boy can not freely go into any home that has a television. The boy told me that his mom has let him go into friends' homes before but only after they promise to leave the television off.

And, no, it is not just their way to keep him out of people's homes because he goes into a neighborhood kid's home because his parents promised to leave the TV off. And that family has a teen daughter that smokes pot. I don't allow my son over there.

I guess the whole thing pisses me off. I wouldn't think twice about it if this family had a policy like I do of having to meet the family before letting the kid go inside.

I spoke to her today about it when she called. My son wanted to be able to have the kid inside. She just wanted to make sure we left the television off when he is inside. So I told her that most times that would be fine but that my son's dad has to watch the news for the weather and he won't miss that due to a friend visiting. Her reply was, "I understand that. Just please send him outside when the TV goes on."

WTF?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Would you accomodate this request? Empty Re: Would you accomodate this request?

Post by Shale Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:45 am

Sounds like a strange overreaction to the evil tube but they are quite upfront about it so you have to respect that parental control.

Still sounds strange and self-defeating. Their kid will eventually start sneaking around watching TV. You think they would know that. Or not if he has been properly indoctrinated.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:53 am

It is just stranger than strange to me. If a family is overly cautious one would think they would worry about a face-to-face with parents of the kid's friends.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:08 am

I'm not sure I get it, what the fuck?! is up that the TV MUST be off in any house he goes in? What the hell?
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:09 am

It definitely sounds like over-kill. And it places the boy in an awkward situation.

People are strange.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:16 am

Supernova wrote:I'm not sure I get it, what the fuck?! is up that the TV MUST be off in any house he goes in? What the hell?

I don't fully get it either. Apparently it is ok for me to be holding a bong in hot pants dry humping someone as long as the tele isn't on....I am being sarcastic, but the more I think about our conversation, the more pissed I am getting. She doesn't know me from a hill of beans, but he can come into my home, consume food I cook, as long as the television is off. I just don't get it.

Once kids get into older grades, the biggest trip is dealing with the friends' parents, I swear.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Bluesmama Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:28 am

RedBedroom wrote:

I don't fully get it either. Apparently it is ok for me to be holding a bong in hot pants dry humping someone as long as the tele isn't on....I am being sarcastic, but the more I think about our conversation, the more pissed I am getting. She doesn't know me from a hill of beans, but he can come into my home, consume food I cook, as long as the television is off. I just don't get it.

Once kids get into older grades, the biggest trip is dealing with the friends' parents, I swear.

She can't settle for just having the kids in your boy's room? He really has to be outside???
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:31 am

Bluesmama wrote:

She can't settle for just having the kids in your boy's room? He really has to be outside???

As strange as it sounds, that is what she indicated. She was polite, but must be naive as hell if she thinks that when her boy is out and about the worst thing he will encounter is a family television.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Bluesmama Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:15 am

RedBedroom wrote:

As strange as it sounds, that is what she indicated. She was polite, but must be naive as hell if she thinks that when her boy is out and about the worst thing he will encounter is a family television.

I spoke to a customer the other day, a man in his 40's that has 11 kids, and he said that there is no TV or radios in their house. I guess with that many kids they will find ways to entertain each other.

But there is something about TV that many people don't realize: Despite its faults, TV opened up communication throughout the world, more so than radio. Unless kids read newspapers (which few do), they are pretty much left in the dark to what's going on in the world.

Definitely an awkward situation you're in. I'm sure you feel that this mother is kinda' controlling your own home.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:26 am

Definitely an awkward situation you're in. I'm sure you feel that this mother is kinda' controlling your own home.

Well, he hasn't been a weekend guest yet! On weekends, if my son has guests, I am ususally doing stuff with TV on in the background, such as MSNBC if I am cleaning or a terrible Lifetime movie if I am crafting. And if I am working, it is no telling what sort of video I am watching online for research!
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:40 am

Would I accomodate a parent's request to send their kid out of my house if I wanted to turn my TV on? In a heartbeat.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:26 am

Would you accomodate this request? 2517814472If they want to be kooky, let them. I would turn the TV off if the kid was inside the house.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:34 am

Very weird. My answer would be to just not have the kid inside, for the most part. It'd be disappointing to the kids that they couldn't hang out in doors, but as a parent I would respect the wishes of another parent when it came to their child. However, I wouldn't allow their bizarre and anal retentive protocol to dictate or disturb my own household. It's not worth the hassle.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:53 am

If the kid had a severe allergy to something like peanuts and their parent asked that I not even open a jar of peanut butter when the kid is in the house, fine. And if I don't happen to feel like watching TV at that particular time, that's fine too but I'm not going to feel like a prisoner in my own home. Would it be OK to turn off the TV and listen to music with "explicit" lyrics?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:14 am

I just curious if the parents saw Poltergeist and took it too literally? hehe
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:26 am

Bluesmama wrote:

I spoke to a customer the other day, a man in his 40's that has 11 kids, and he said that there is no TV or radios in their house. I guess with that many kids they will find ways to entertain each other.

But there is something about TV that many people don't realize: Despite its faults, TV opened up communication throughout the world, more so than radio. Unless kids read newspapers (which few do), they are pretty much left in the dark to what's going on in the world.

That's sounds very Amish, is he by chance?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:39 am

I think that's really ridiculous. The kid's gonna see TV at some point. You shouldn't have to turn it off. That's insane.

Last edited by Forgiveness Man on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:05 pm

That really is weird. I'd just let the kids know that you can't guarantee that the TV will be off so it's best for them to play outside. I'd respect her wishes but I certailny wouldn't adjust my lifestyle for that. It's one thing if it's a life-threatening allergy to not have that food out in the open when the child is around, but this clearly isn't the case here. I'd far rather have my kid watching TV that going to a home where a teenager is openly smoking pot.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Bluesmama Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:40 pm

Supernova wrote:

That's sounds very Amish, is he by chance?

I don't think so. The man has no facial hair, looks like an architect, sales manager . . . clean-cut and "normal". Talks about his 9-month old baby a lot. But I've not tried to pry on why they live as they do because, frankly, I don't want to get him started on something that I'd end up not wanting to hear. I think it's weird, too. A mite too extreme.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:40 am

I guess that would be a kid who would never come in because other people don't run me or my home. They can be weird on their own turf. I had a repairman tried to pull that crap on me once. I don't think so. But hey best of luck to them in this exercise in futility.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:41 am

Opa Shale wrote:I just curious if the parents saw Poltergeist and took it too literally? hehe

LMAO! there actually are people that damn stupid.
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by FireIce918 Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:19 am

I ain't turning off jack. I'll be damned if someone asks me to not do something in my own house.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:58 am

FireIce918 wrote:I ain't turning off jack. I'll be damned if someone asks me to not do something in my own house.

Amen to that, my house, my rules, like Night of the Living Dead when they were arguing over the basement, you can be boss down there, I'm boss up here!
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:13 am

Yea, that kid is just gonna have to stay outside. I'm not turning off my tv, oooh, and especially if Basketball Wives is on...Would you accomodate this request? Hell_to_the_no!!
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:07 pm

You could always say to the kid's mother, "No problem, I'll leave the TV off, and would you like me to drop him at a therapy session before I bring him home to you at the end of the play-date? Because he's sure as shit going to need it after you get through with him."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:56 pm