CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Natalie Wood Case Reopened

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Natalie Wood Case Reopened Empty Natalie Wood Case Reopened

Post by Tony Marino Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:06 pm

Natalie Wood Death: Boat Captain Dennis Davern Blames Actor Robert Wagner

THERE IS A VIDEO ON THE SITE, THE CAPTAIN OF THE BOAT ACCUSES ROBERT WAGNER OF HER DEATH!

LOS ANGELES — A yacht captain said on national TV Friday that he lied to investigators about Natalie Wood's mysterious death 30 years ago and blames the actress' husband at the time, Robert Wagner, for her drowning in the ocean off Southern California.

The circumstances of her death remain one of Hollywood's enduring mysteries and continue to create renewed intrigue, with homicide detectives unexpectedly re-opening the case Thursday that had long been classified as a tragic accident.

A Los Angeles County sheriff's detective will speak to reporters Friday about the decision to take another look at the Oscar-nominated actress' nighttime demise in the chilly waters off Southern California on Nov. 29, 1981. Wood drowned after spending several hours drinking on Catalina Island and a yacht with Wagner, fellow actor Christopher Walken and the ship's captain, Dennis Davern.

Davern, skipper of the Splendour, told NBC's "Today" show on Friday that he made mistakes by not telling the truth about events leading to the Thanksgiving weekend death and had urged Los Angeles County sheriff's homicide investigators to reopen the case. It is the latest attempt by Davern to change the official account of what happened in the hours before Wood's death.

"Was the fight between Natalie Wood and her husband Robert Wagner what ultimately led to her death?" show host David Gregory asked.

"Yes," Davern replied.

"How so?"

"Like I said, that's going to be up to the investigators to decide," the captain said after a long pause.

Davern said he believes Wagner had intentionally kept the investigation into Wood's death low profile and didn't do everything he could have done. When Gregory pressed Davern for supporting details, the captain said that was the duty of investigators.

The Associated Press could not immediately reach Davern Friday.

Davern has said for years that the official account of Wood's disappearance was not what really happened, including in a 1992 appearance on a Geraldo Rivera special and in a 2000 Vanity Fair piece. He also worked with author and friend Marti Rulli on "Goodbye Natalie, Goodbye Splendour," a book released last year.

Wagner spokesman Alan Nierob said Friday a statement he released Thursday spoke for itself.

"Although no one in the Wagner family has heard from the LA County Sheriff's department about this matter, they fully support the efforts of the LA County Sheriff's Dept. and trust they will evaluate whether any new information relating to the death of Natalie Wood Wagner is valid, and that it comes from a credible source or sources other than those simply trying to profit from the 30 year anniversary of her tragic death," Nierob wrote in the statement.

Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said Thursday the renewed inquiry was prompted by unspecified new information about Woods' case. The Los Angeles Times reported that Los Angeles Sheriff Lee Baca said detectives want to talk to Davern and that he had "made comments worthy of exploring." The paper said the agency had also received information from an unidentified third party.

In the Vanity Fair story, Davern is quoted as saying that Wood and Wagner fought in their cabin before the actress disappeared. Coroner's officials ruled her death an accidental drowning, perhaps caused by her slipping off the boat while trying to tie down a dinghy.

Wood's death sparked tabloid speculation that foul play was involved, but Wagner and Wood's sister have dismissed any suggestion the actress' death was anything more than an accident. Coroner's officials at the time agreed, writing that Wood was "possibly attempting to board the dinghy and had fallen into the water, striking her face."

Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter said that to his knowledge, the agency hadn't been asked to do any additional investigation into Wood's case.

Sheriff's officials are also hoping for tips from the public that may shed new light on how Wood, who was afraid of being in the water, ended up drowning.

Wood, a three-time Oscar nominee famous for roles in "West Side Story," `'Rebel Without a Cause" and other Hollywood hits, was 43 when she died. She and Wagner, star of the TV series "Hart to Hart," were twice married, first in 1957 before divorcing six years later. They remarried in 1972.

Lana Wood wrote in a biography on her sister, "What happened is that Natalie drank too much that night."

Wagner wrote in a 2008 autobiography that he blamed himself for his wife's death.

He recounted the night of Wood's disappearance, during which the couple and Walken drank at a restaurant and on the boat. Wood went to the master cabin during an argument between her husband and Walken. The last time Wagner saw his wife, she was fixing her hair at a bathroom vanity and she shut the door.

Wagner wrote that despite various theories about what led Wood to the water, which she feared, it was impossible to know what exactly happened.

"Nobody knows," he wrote. "There are only two possibilities; either she was trying to get away from the argument, or she was trying to tie the dinghy. But the bottom line is that nobody knows exactly what happened."

Later in the book, Wagner wrote, "Did I blame myself? If I had been there, I could have done something. But I wasn't there. I didn't see her."

He wrote that he has never returned to Catalina Island.

Phone and email messages to Walken's publicist were not returned Thursday. Walken and Wood were co-stars in "Brainstorm," which was the actress' final big screen role.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/18/natalie-wood-death-dennis-davern_n_1101366.html

[img][/img]
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Natalie Wood Case Reopened Empty Re: Natalie Wood Case Reopened

Post by Bluesmama Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:40 pm

Are we about to have another celebrity whose death will be reopened and/or theorized about for the next century? I am suspicious.

This guy could have written his book almost 30 years ago. He probably needs the money for medical care.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:23 pm

Bluesmama wrote:Are we about to have another celebrity whose death will be reopened and/or theorized about for the next century? I am suspicious.

This guy could have written his book almost 30 years ago. He probably needs the money for medical care.

I don't know. Maybe. It's hard to tell. I do remember this guy making this claim years ago. Not sure why the investigators are looking at it now.

"I'm not really the investigator here, and I'm far away from even thinking about profiting over a 30-year anniversary," Davern told Gregory. "I've known this information for many, many years and my book has been out for two years. I'm not in it for any kind of profit, I'm in it for the justice of the whole situation."

Davern also answered questions about why he would come forward 30 years later with new information when he could have told authorities much earlier.

"Why now is because I've been trying to tell information about this for many, many years, but there wasn't really anyone listening until now," he said. "I've been trying to get somebody to listen for a long time and now somebody is listening and they're going to carry on with this investigation. I'm not saying anything different. All the information that I've revealed in the past, it's all in that book, and now it's just up to the investigators to do an investigation."

"At that time my life was just totally crazy, and I don't think it was a time when I was even able to think straight," Davern said.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45353418/ns/today-entertainment/t/boat-captain-alleges-actor-robert-wagner-responsible-natalie-woods-death/#.TsfGubJ7fk9

I don't want to believe RJ would ever do something like that. It was a long time ago & the only people who know are the ones who were on the yacht. As far as I know there's no physical evidence that proves it one way or the other. I hope the truth comes out whatever it is. But I doubt we'll ever know exactly what happened that night.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:09 pm

And today the story is Christopher Walken has lawyered up and is letting his attorney handle his side of the investigation. Of course that looks bad for him but most people do share the logic to hire a lawyer when they're innocent, so I don't know. I also don't know why this guy waited 30 years to speak up and even now won't tell WHY he believes Robert Wagner is responsible.
    Minerva
    Minerva
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 18

Post by Minerva Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:10 pm

Lana Wood, Natalie's sister has been doing the talk show circuit touting the book. I really don't think she or the author has a whole lot of credibility especially after all these years after Natalie's death.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm