Getting your e-books published

zthatzmanz28
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male
    Rep : 13

default Getting your e-books published

Post by zthatzmanz28 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:12 am

With all the competetion today, how many are seriously trying e-publishing? I know 2-3 people who seem to be doing quite well, not getting rich, but selling 20-30 books a month through Amazon and Barnes / Noble.

Retiring special education teacher. Tired of the nonsense. Transitioning into a writing career and looking to do a little advocacy.

“Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I'm not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you've felt that way.”

― Charles Bukowski

Image hosted by servimg.com
    zthatzmanz28
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male

default Re: Getting your e-books published

Post by zthatzmanz28 on Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:37 pm

I did a quick search of amazon and found they have a tutorial and a program to help with e-publishing.

Retiring special education teacher. Tired of the nonsense. Transitioning into a writing career and looking to do a little advocacy.

“Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I'm not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you've felt that way.”

― Charles Bukowski

Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man on Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:39 am

I haven't tried it yet. I've considered it. But I wanna at least try the traditional route first. If that didn't work, I'd consider going the E-book route. I think a part of me just wants to really hold a hard-copy of my book in my hands. If E-book is the only way to get my work out there, I'll try it. But it's kind of a last resort for me.

1st Annual Conversation Chamber
    Message Board Awards!

Most Politically-Conscious Poster
    Winner→ Forgiveness Man

Most Opinionated Poster
    Winner→ Forgiveness Man

"Let's look death in the face and say ''Whatever, man'" - Hurley (Lost)

"I'm a man of results. Professionalism is overrated." - Kevin Martel (My Novel)

"Reality's a bigot." - Father
    zthatzmanz28
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male

Post by zthatzmanz28 on Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:37 pm

I have really been interested in this e-book thing since readig about the author who made the NY Times best selling list with her e.novel. The hard copy publishers still refused to publish it.
    While I agree a nice hard copy bound between two covers would be great, being able to SELL something would be pretty good as well.
    As I prepare for "retirement" I am starting to go through my notebooks and want to assemble a few short story things that I will try to sell one chapter at a time in e-book form. I have found quite a few writers selling 10-15 page chapters on Amazon for .25 to $1.00 each chapter.

― Charles Bukowski

Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man on Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:44 pm

It'd be tempting to release it all one chapter at a time but I'd likely bunch it together for a full novel at a reasonable purchase price. I'd like it if I could sort of have it both ways, get it e-published with a limited number of hard copies for myself and family/friends. If I could get that deal, I might consider it. But I'd love to get a publisher to publish the book if I can. I do think my works are relatively commercial with possibly just an ounce of literary appeal. (Maybe. lol)

Message Board Awards!

Winner→ Forgiveness Man

Most Opinionated Poster
    Winner→ Forgiveness Man

zthatzmanz28
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male

Post by zthatzmanz28 on Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:04 pm

Commercial is good. I always think about the Steven King quote
    "There are 100s of writers far better than I am, don't know why I was lucky."
    or something to this effect..

― Charles Bukowski

Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:15 pm

Commercial is good. I definitely think the plots are relatively commercial. But I think there will be some hindrances due to some of what goes down.

Message Board Awards!

Winner→ Forgiveness Man

Most Opinionated Poster
    Winner→ Forgiveness Man

zthatzmanz28
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male

Post by zthatzmanz28 on Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:34 am

I have worried about the "what goes down" factor for too long. There is a time when the story will either sink or swim. But this is problematic for most writers I believe. I recall the time I was sitting at an open-mic night at the JAck Kerouac School of DIsembodied Poetics and Ann Waldman or Billie someone was doing a reading. I turned to the woman sitting near me and said, "We are just as good as she is." The woman looke at me like I was crazy. Then I rephrased the statement and said "I am as good as she is." LOL....

Write something to suit yourself and many people will like it; write something to suit everybody and scarcely anyone will care for it.
    Jesse Stuart

― Charles Bukowski

Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:28 pm

I definitely agree. You can't worry too much about an audience. Worries like that are just unavoidable. (ie I know many people I know would NEVER read my novels. lol) Not really acting on them too much. Just need to learn a bit more about the industry and try to see what options are best for me. I got 8 books collecting figurative dust so I'd really like to do SOMETHING. Just gotta find that window and jump through it.

Message Board Awards!

Winner→ Forgiveness Man

Most Opinionated Poster
    Winner→ Forgiveness Man

Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi Zthatzmanz28,

Back in the '80s and '90s I wrote a bunch of magazine articles for niche publications, nudist or gay. They were often well received, but still, magazine articles. I never really got down to trying to publish a book - tho one of my magazine editors was thinking of doing a compilation of my "Nude Attitude" articles, glossing it up and selling it. It was estimated I could have made $10K on it, but the project got bumped.

Here is a sample of a couple of my more popular nudist articles:

http://home.earthlink.net/~robnude/id15.html
    (BTW, this one got translated into Dutch and picked up by Naturisme in Europe)

http://home.earthlink.net/~robnude/id16.html

Likewise, I have had some pretty long Op-Ed pieces published in newspapers that qualify as a column.

http://home.earthlink.net/~robwrites/id16.html

But, I have never really gone professional. However, IF I ever retire this Webpublishing may be something to look into. IDK if I can do anything more involved than my journalistic reporting on specific things that I know.

If it's the right direction - swim upstream.

zthatzmanz28
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male

Post by zthatzmanz28 on Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:00 pm

I have been reading the tutorials on uploading to kindle that are posted on Amazon. It sounds easy enough. I am going to try and finish editing a 38 page book of poems and hopefully have it uploaded by January? Might just be the foot in the door..

― Charles Bukowski

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:27 pm