CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

King's Quest: The Floating Castle

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

King's Quest: The Floating Castle Empty King's Quest: The Floating Castle

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:54 pm

Those of you who were growing up in the 80s and 90s may remember a computer game series from the Sierra company called King's Quest; a mixture of mythology and fairy tales intertwined with the adventures of the kings and princes of a land called Daventry who battled evil and always saved the day.

As kids my brother and I were hooked on the 6th and only game of the series we ever had: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow, where Prince Alexander endures winged people, a minotaur, talking chess pieces, a cursed beast, Druids, trap doors, murderous statues, boiling rivers, the Realm of the Dead, the River Styx, a man-eating door, and a golden eyed genie who tries to kill him at every turn, all on a quest to find and save his beloved Princess Cassima, while trying to solve the mystery of why the five islands are at war with each other.

The old CD-Rom is no longer compatible with the new computers but the games have been updated to work again, and maybe someday we'll have the entire collection, but I digress. Curiosity got the better of me and I checked Amazon to see if there were ever any books written on King's Quest, aside from the game help manuals, and there are 3; I bought the first two and received the first one in the mail today, The Floating Castle.

Though the first games involved King Graham of Daventry, on the cover I recognize Prince Alexander, who apparently also has a large part in this story. I don't suppose anybody here has heard of these or read them before, but I thought I'd ask anyway. And if it turns out to be any good, I'll report back on it, but I think this should be very interesting.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

King's Quest: The Floating Castle Empty Re: King's Quest: The Floating Castle

Post by Supernova Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:28 am

Well I'm back and have finished the book, not that I bet anybody cares, but I thought it stayed true to form with the King's Quest universe we know from the games. It was very exciting and you of course can kind of figure out that everything's going to work out in the end, but the story takes so many twists and turns that you really can't figure out beforehand HOW it's going to happen. A great fantasy story, I highly recommend it and next am going to start on the second book.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm