CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
matts1191
Chris
Supernova
7 posters

First 'adult' book/story you read as a kid

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

First 'adult' book/story you read as a kid Empty First 'adult' book/story you read as a kid

Post by Supernova Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:32 am

And everybody can take their heads out of the gutter now.

When I was a kid we had the book Garfield: His Nine Lives, QUITE different from the cartoon, several lives had to be rewritten to be suitable for kids...I always looked at the pictures but my mother told me not to read several of the stories in the book. Well, one of my favorites to look at was Babes and Bullets...and when I was 9, I finally took the book out and read Babes and Bullets...Garfield transformed into a...what's the word for a cat that's shaped like a human and walks like a human, and dresses like a human? Cussing, a woman married to a priest (huh?), whiskey...QUITE different from the comic book version of Babes and Bullets which was basically a comic format of how they did the cartoon. I've always loved that story, both versions, but I'll always fondly remember the more 'adult' version.

Anybody else got something to add?
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

First 'adult' book/story you read as a kid Empty Re: First 'adult' book/story you read as a kid

Post by Chris Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:22 pm

The first "adult" book I read as a kid was E. Lynn Harris' And This Too Shall Pass. It wasn't a sexually themed novel, but had sexual situations in it.
    matts1191
    matts1191
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

First 'adult' book/story you read as a kid Empty Re: First 'adult' book/story you read as a kid

Post by matts1191 Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:49 am

Too Kill a Mockingbird. Booooring
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:54 am

I disagree, I found Lord of the Flies to be boooooring.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:05 am

Ordinary People.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:59 am

RedBedroom wrote:Ordinary People.

By any chance would that be the same Ordinary People that they made that movie with Mary Tyler Moore and whoever else, from? A guy drowns and his whole family has to deal with it?
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:36 am

The first adult book I ever was was Carrie in 1975. I was in the 6th grade at the time.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:30 pm

tmontyb wrote:The first adult book I ever was was Carrie in 1975. I was in the 6th grade at the time.

Good book.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:39 pm

Supernova wrote:

Good book.

It really is a good book. The film is great also. The book wasn't scary to me (maybe I didn't really get it) but the film scared the crap out of me. I was upset that Miss Collins (Desjardin in the book) was killed by that backboard and that last scene where Carrie's hand came out of the the rubble was too much my 11 year old mind. I asked my younger sister if I could sleep in her room that night after seeing the movie. She brings it up in company from time to time, LOL.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:52 pm

tmontyb wrote:
    It really is a good book. The film is great also. The book wasn't scary to me (maybe I didn't really get it) but the film scared the crap out of me. I was upset that Miss Collins (Desjardin in the book) was killed by that backboard and that last scene where Carrie's hand came out of the the rubble was too much my 11 year old mind. I asked my younger sister if I could sleep in her room that night after seeing the movie. She brings it up in company from time to time, LOL.

Now that IS scary, LOL!
    kelea7
    kelea7
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female

Post by kelea7 Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:53 pm

One of the first was The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah. Soon after that I started reading Donald Goines. Needless to say I was never the same again.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:51 am

I don't think I ever heard of them. What do they write?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:54 pm

Supernova wrote:I don't think I ever heard of them. What do they write?

Sister Souljah is a hip-hop and community activist and that was her first novel. Every damn black woman and her mama has read The Coldest Winter Ever. Donald Goines is a former heroin addict and he writes, well wrote.....urban fiction. Real gritty stuff. He's been in and out of jail and was actually an addict. So he basically wrote novels from experience.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:09 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:

He's been in and out of jail and was actually an addict. So he basically wrote novels from experience.

Kind of like Oliver Stone and Scarface.
    kelea7
    kelea7
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female

Post by kelea7 Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:39 pm

Supernova wrote:I don't think I ever heard of them. What do they write?

Well, what he said I guess. Haha. Donald Goines books are graphic. You should look him up, interesting life. I've read a few DG novels, I really liked Black Girl Lost. Never Die Alone was made into a movie with DMX and Michael Ealy. I heard another of his books was made into a horrible low budget thing. I liked the Sister Souljah book for the most part at the time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 pm