CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

2 posters

Grimms' Grimmest

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Grimms' Grimmest Empty Grimms' Grimmest

Post by Supernova Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:06 pm

My friend in Canada told me about this book, forget the typical fairy tale stories you always knew where the prince marries the princess and everybody lives happily ever after. These are the real deal from when fairy tales were NOT meant for children; 19 tales full of blood, murder, mutilation, cannibalism, all that good stuff. I found a copy cheap on Amazon and am looking forward to seeing what the real fairy tales are like. Though I got lucky because a lot of copies are going for about $100. Has anybody read this book?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Grimms' Grimmest Empty Re: Grimms' Grimmest

Post by Tony Marino Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:39 pm

You should watch the TV show Grimm when it comes back in August for its second season. These stories are surely not meant for children, good show.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:51 am

Okay maybe it's just me, but I don't get what the big deal is about these stories are SO gruesome they can't possibly be for kids. Okay you got a woman cutting her stepson's head off, chopping him up, turning him into stew and feeding him to his father, he gets restored in the end and she dies, so what's the big deal? Rapunzel gets pregnant, big whoop, and Cinderella's stepsister cuts her toes off to fit the glass slipper, everybody knows about that one. Got a couple of Bluebeard stories in here, woman's supposed to marry a man, finds out he and his friends killed a young woman and chopped off her finger to steal her gold ring, which she presents in front of everyone the next day, finger and all, and the men get hanged for their crimes. I'm not seeing anything yet that is so horrible or ghastly that kids couldn't read it. In fact some of these remind me of children's ghost story collections that the library has, back when they actually had the nerve to be descriptive and get a bit graphic.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content