Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

default Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Post by Supernova on Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:16 pm

Has anybody here read this book? I thought due to the subject matter that our library did NOT carry this one because I've never outright seen its name pop out during my searches through the shelves. Yesterday I was looking around and saw three books of collections of Nabokov's stories and found it in one, but this is not advertised on the spine like most library books so that would explain the confusion. Anyway I grabbed it up but I haven't started it yet, but does anybody here have any opinions about the story?
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

default Re: Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Post by Alan Smithee on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:04 pm

I've never read the book nor have I seen either movie. Creeps me out. Jeremy Irons (Humbert Humbert in the 1997 remake) said he didn't expect to work for 3 years because of the backlash and he was right.

My nephew Tony's little brother and me...

"The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong -- but that's the way to bet."
    CaffeinePlease
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by CaffeinePlease on Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:44 pm

I've read the book and I've seen the movie (the original version, not the remake) and I really liked both. The subject matter is definitely disturbing, but there are so many questions within the book - who is manipulating who? And because Humbert Humbert was the narrator can his viewpoint be taken as the truth or as a distortion? Nabokov was a genius at taking a child molestor and rapist and making the reader feel sympathy for him. All in all, good read.

Howard Wolowitz: "She's gonna have a new boyfriend by tomorrow morning and you'll have a new girlfriend once you figure out how to build one."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:45 am