CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
Nystyle709
CeCe
Nhaiyel
Shale
Forgiveness Man
Supernova
Tony Marino
Chris
12 posters

Pregnant teen wins battle to stop forced abortion

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

News Pregnant teen wins battle to stop forced abortion

Post by Chris Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:35 pm

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Pregnant-teen-wins-battle-to-stop-parents-from-4288193.php

Pregnant teen wins battle to stop forced abortion
    By Brian Rogers | February 18, 2013 | Updated: February 19, 2013 12:49pm

A 16-year-old Hockley girl had to make a choice after finding out she was pregnant in January. She could either keep her baby or appease her parents.

The teen said her mother and father threatened her and were trying to coerce her into having an abortion, according to court records.

After weeks of tearful fighting, the girl took a dramatic step: She sued her parents.

"There were times when she was in tears," the unborn child's father told reporters Monday about the coercion and the decision to file a lawsuit. "It was hard on her and me."

He said the girl's parents were threatening to "make her life miserable" until she got an abortion.

The recently filed lawsuit ended Monday with an agreement that the teen's parents would not use physical force or psychological coercion. They also agreed to pay half of the hospital bill if the girl has not married when the baby is delivered and let her use her car to go to school and work.

"She wanted to have this child without coercion and she got that," said Stephen Casey, one of the teen's attorneys. "We're glad that our client recognized that her unborn child had a right to live, and she wanted to protect that."

Casey and other attorneys with the Texas Center for the Defense of Life represented the teenager. This is the fourth lawsuit the organization has filed in the state on behalf of teens who are being coerced to have abortions, said Gregory Terra, president of the group. In one other, the case ended with a similar agreed order. In the other two, the group lost its fight.

After Monday's hearing, Jared Woodfill, an attorney appointed to protect the pregnant teen's rights, said minors filing for emancipation, to be treated as legal adults, are much more common than lawsuits pitting child against parent.

"It takes a lot of courage for a teen to stand up and sue their parents," Woodfill said. "This is very unusual."

Woodfill, chairman of the Harris County Republican Party, acted as mediator Monday, shuttling between conference rooms until both sides reached a settlement that was approved by state District Judge James Lombardino.

"There is shock when you find out that your 16-year-old is pregnant," Woodfill said. "Once tempers had cooled, folks adjusted to the reality that she is having a baby and she is their daughter."

The girl's parents did not talk to reporters outside the courtroom Monday.

The pregnant teen also did not comment after the ruling. The father, who is also 16, said he plans to marry his girlfriend and raise the child.

Neither is being identified by the Houston Chronicle.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

News Re: Pregnant teen wins battle to stop forced abortion

Post by Tony Marino Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:39 pm

Good for her!
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:16 pm

Tony Marino wrote:Good for her!

co-signs cheers (rah)
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:17 pm

It's sad that we're at the point where you have to win a fight to not have your child ripped from your womb in pieces.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:23 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:It's sad that we're at the point where you have to win a fight to not have your child ripped from your womb in pieces.

That's for sure, it's funny how there are people who pooh-pooh age of consent laws saying any time you have sex you're old enough to do it and deal with it, but oooooh suddenly if you get pregnant from the sex then you're a stupid kid who doesn't know anything.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:54 pm

The recently filed lawsuit ended Monday with an agreement that the teen's parents would not use physical force or psychological coercion. [b]They also agreed to pay half of the hospital bill if the girl has not married when the baby is delivered and let her use her car to go to school and work.
    ..."

So who the fuck is taking care of this baby when it comes? The girl goes to school or work, who stays up all night when baby is screaming? Does no one else see that the court here has coerced the parents into a situation that they did not want for the benefit of their daughter and THEM?

Anti-abortion ppl always rejoice over these victories for a fetus but never follow thru with what happens to the mother and child.

Like the example I mentioned on the other thread about this, when the boy's family agreed to take in the girl here in Miami, the boy got the money together and took the girl to an abortion clinic. But, this is Miami, not Texas.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:31 pm

Supernova wrote:

That's for sure, it's funny how there are people who pooh-pooh age of consent laws saying any time you have sex you're old enough to do it and deal with it, but oooooh suddenly if you get pregnant from the sex then you're a stupid kid who doesn't know anything.
    That's because those pooh-poohers really don't believe jack about the maturity of teens. They will support whatever decisions leads to careless sex, and then whatever decisions leads to the least number of babies being born. They will use whatever rhetoric they can to bring about those ends, even if said rhetoric is inconsistent.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:59 pm

Congratulations to them, but now the question is how do they plan to make this work? Whose roof will they live under? Whose insurance will pay for the child's medical needs? Food, diapers, clothes, toys…who will babysit while they try to balance school (assuming they don't drop out) and their inevitably having to go to work? Babies cost a lot of money; I wouldn't have been able to take care of one when I was ten years older than they are, and had people who would have been willing to help when it was convenient for them. Since they are going through all this acrimony with parents who wanted her to have an abortion, I would assume that they won't be that supportive when the child is here. Now they're talking about marrying. What is this? A made-for-TV movie of the week? They sound all around naive.

I don't agree with abortion being forced on any female who wants to deliver, however, in situations like this, where the parents were dead set against their daughter having a baby, I just have to wonder how they intend to make this ordeal work. Hopefully his parents are more accepting, because two 16 year olds having a baby and naively jumping into a shotgun marriage, has the making of a disaster if at least one set of parents isn't going to be supportive.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:36 pm

Shale wrote:

Anti-abortion ppl always rejoice over these victories for a fetus but never follow thru with what happens to the mother and child.

Well that's pretty much when they stop caring & use the "She should have thought of that when she spread her legs. Her kid is not OUR responsibility." bullshit. I know "Papa Don't Preach" was a cute little song in the '80s but it didn't reflect reality then any more than it does now.

I feel for the girl but she's in for one hell of a rude awakening.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:22 am

That was dumb. Actually, the parents are dumb too cause I wouldn't have agreed to pay for half of or none of shit. As a matter of fact, I would've gotten a lawyer and drawn up some kind of clause of some sort that said if I have to pay for anything, my daughter would have to file legal emancipation from my care. Gonna defy me and sue me at the same time? That trick would be out on the street. Let her and her pre-cum busting boyfriend figure out how to raise a child in this day and age at 16. I already take care of kids that I don't have and didn't have any say in bringing into the world, I'll be damn if I'll be forced to RAISE one that I didn't have any say so in in my own house.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:47 am

Nystyle709 wrote:That was dumb. Actually, the parents are dumb too cause I wouldn't have agreed to pay for half of or none of shit. As a matter of fact, I would've gotten a lawyer and drawn up some kind of clause of some sort that said if I have to pay for anything, my daughter would have to file legal emancipation from my care. Gonna defy me and sue me at the same time? That trick would be out on the street. Let her and her pre-cum busting boyfriend figure out how to raise a child in this day and age at 16. I already take care of kids that I don't have and didn't have any say in bringing into the world, I'll be damn if I'll be forced to RAISE one that I didn't have any say so in in my own house.

I know I wouldn't. She would have 3 choices. Abortion, give the baby up for adoption or file for emancipation & get the fuck out.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:16 am

CeCe wrote:... She would have 3 choices. Abortion, give the baby up for adoption or file for emancipation & get the fuck out.
    co-signs
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:29 am

How you are going to make this work is a question teens should think about BEFORE they have sex. It's called responsibility. Once the baby is growing inside of you, how it's going to work becomes second to the fact that you have a living human growing inside of you. I think that's the big problem with all of these conversations. They thrive on the idea that if you can't handle raising the children you created, you should be free to have the child killed. The conversation's all bleeped up. It doesn't matter if you can't handle the child. You got one now. So you can either give it up for adoption or do what people have done for ages and make sacrifices to make it work. You chose to have sex. You should've known this could happen. Don't kill your kid because you did something you weren't prepared to deal with.

And this girl actually wanted to deliver her baby. Good. We need to stop finding it acceptable to execute your child. "Oh, how will she take care of it?" Hey, there's another life involved now. Killing it to get out of your responsibilities isn't an option now any more than it would be in 2 years when the kid's a screaming toddler.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:42 pm

My personal opinion is that being a parent to a teen does not mean I would ever have the right to force abortion on that child. What if it was the baby's father's parents advocating abortion as the only option?

I think if they are 100% against providing any emotional or financial support, they must insist on adoption or emancipation.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:27 pm

Like many, my teen suffered from the "I can't hear you-I can't hear you-Choo-Choo!" syndrome. But this is one of the few issues she took me seriously for, as I told her time and again that I was not going to raise her baby for her, that it was often the fastest road to poverty, etc. We parents have to work, and I did not want to raise another child. Gratefully, she was a late bloomer in the dating scene. She liked boys but prefered to hang out in groups. I guess I was lucky. And I miss her.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:37 pm

It's terrible that the parents would try and force an abortion, and try to "slip" her an abortion pill... If the parent's feel that strongly then yes, emancipation is probably the best idea. If the girl herself wanted the abortion, then support it, if she wants to keep the baby, support that too. She's still your child.

I have seen first hand my closest cousin getting pregnant at 16, she was already working and in school and didn't stop til few weeks before giving birth. She had the baby, took some time off, then went right back to work and school and actually graduated a semester early. Of course she had help from her mom, baby daddy, and her sister. She didn't put the baby all on them either. So it can be done. And not once was an abortion forced on her.

wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:07 am

what makes me laugh is that pro-lifers want the baby born, but then are against the programs that will be used to take care of it. This chick is going to wind up on medicaid and welfare. She is going to get free day care, and free college if she can handle going to school and "parenting" (i quoted that because we all know that someone else will be raising this kid). In many states, giving birth automatically emancipates the teen. I would have told her, "you're old enough to handle this decision, then you are old enough to handle your own life as well as the baby's---get out" .... I'm with Cece & NY on this one
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:35 am

wants2laugh wrote:... I would have told her, "you're old enough to handle this decision, then you are old enough to handle your own life as well as the baby's---get out" ....

This is how parenting once was when dealing with teens. I always followed the rules (or snuck around them) but my stepbrother was more defiant at an age when physical intervention was not an option for my office worker stepdad. I remember my stepdad saying those same words to him and said if need be the police would help him enforce it. When he finally got too out of control the courts gave him the option to go into the Army at 17.

This is how I was raised, so it grates on me when I see teenagers living under your roof but going against your rules and getting away with it.

Similarly, just yesterday on the news here, they found a newborn baby in a parking lot. Luckily it was found by someone in time before anything bad happened and the baby is fine. How stupid some ppl are. There has been a law here for years that you can take a newborn baby and hand it over to any fire station - no questions asked. They did that to prevent these babies being abandoned dangerously like this one was.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:34 am

The most important issue is not killing somebody who is already here. We don't think a solution to free government programs is killing those who use them. That's all, really. I mean, if somebody proposed saving money by executing all of the people on government programs, I'd be opposed to that too. That doesn't mean I don't think a lot of these programs are ineffective and we should work to get people off of them.

If we are to get people like this off of government programs, aborting her baby isn't the right solution. Especially aborting it against her will.

And really, people are better cared for when government is out of the way. Overbearing governments create the poverty that makes people unable to support themselves.

So I find no conflict in not supporting ineffective government programs and not supporting killing those who are on them. There aren't any issues at odds there. If our options ever become kill people or accept government supporting them, we better be worried because the government will eventually start opting for the former.

I see nothing wrong with letting the child be born, since he/she is already alive anyway, and then telling the mother that she has to either give him up for adoption or work hard to raise him herself like many unwed mothers before her. Decisions have consequences, and in these cases, those consequences include the creation of another person. I think we need to stop trying to breed irresponsible behavior by telling kids that we will just get rid of the consequences of their careless sex for them so their lives are not impacted much by their poor choices. Such messages will not help people ever learn to be anything but reckless.

So yeah, I find nothing at odds with being ProLife and also against excessive government handouts. It's not the false dichotomy some make it out to be.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:58 am

Cheaps wrote:It's terrible that the parents would try and force an abortion, and try to "slip" her an abortion pill... If the parent's feel that strongly then yes, emancipation is probably the best idea. If the girl herself wanted the abortion, then support it, if she wants to keep the baby, support that too. She's still your child.

I have seen first hand my closest cousin getting pregnant at 16, she was already working and in school and didn't stop til few weeks before giving birth. She had the baby, took some time off, then went right back to work and school and actually graduated a semester early. Of course she had help from her mom, baby daddy, and her sister. She didn't put the baby all on them either. So it can be done. And not once was an abortion forced on her.

clapping Major props to your cousin. Of course there's a big difference in parents helping, and them entirely raising the baby while their idiot child goes out and parties all the time and assumes no responsibilities, that's something else that people need to remember. My mother has a cousin who had her first child when she was 14, and she didn't tell ANYBODY she was pregnant, and the day she went into labor, she took herself down to the hospital, and a few hours later called home and told her parents where she was and what had happened. She never once panicked, she always knew what she was going to do, of course she had helped raise several younger siblings so she already knew how to handle babies. And she later got married and had a couple more.

People always love to think because you're not 18 then you don't know anything, but you don't have to be a teenager to be irresponsible and dump your baby off on your parents either, and some teen parents are actually better parents and harder workers than the grown ones. And whichever the case is going to be for this girl, we're all just going to have to wait and see, though there's always also the chance we'll never hear of them again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:57 am