CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Supernova
Chris
6 posters

Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order? Empty Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order?

Post by Chris Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:10 am

If an abuse victim gets a restraining order against their abuser, and then willingly allows said abuser back into their order while the restraining order is still in effect, do you think the victim should be legally penalized?

For example: a woman gets beat up by her husband/boyfriend and gets a restraining order, but then later sleeps with him. Should she go to jail?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order? Empty Re: Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order?

Post by Supernova Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:21 pm

You saw last night's episode of Law and Order SVU too, eh Chris?

I think yes, especially if it happens more than once, they're only adding to the problem so let them know they have consequences as well for their own part in it.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order? Empty Re: Should the abused be penalized for violating a restraining order?

Post by Shale Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:12 pm

Supernova wrote:...I think yes, especially if it happens more than once, they're only adding to the problem so let them know they have consequences as well for their own part in it.
    co-signs
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Should a battered woman go to jail for doing something tragically stupid? No, but her abuser shouldn't be prosecuted for violating the restraining order. Unless maybe the police could prove coercion.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:12 pm

Restraining orders are effective only when they're honored. I don't know about penalizing the abuser. Perhaps yes. If someone changes her mind then she should have it lifted, Period. The responsibility is primarily hers.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:46 pm

Supernova wrote:You saw last night's episode of Law and Order SVU too, eh Chris?

I think yes, especially if it happens more than once, they're only adding to the problem so let them know they have consequences as well for their own part in it.

I did! big grin
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:52 pm

in NJ both are at fault... yet if there is no complaint, the abuser will not be penalized.

i saw a woman who over 20yrs of having a restraining order that was never lifted (taking her hubby back many times over the years)... wound up with a broken jaw... then showed up in court defended him. SMH

if these women want the protection, use tax payer money and time for it.. then they should stick to their guns. i understand life is hard... that having kids is difficult.. and some men just wont go away!!! I had that stalking problem... but come on. there is a time in your life where you need to take responsibility for yourself. No one else is going to take care of you.. so get the order... and call when he makes contact.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:02 am