Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe?

Go down 
+4
Alan Smithee
wants2laugh
RedBedroom
Supernova
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe? Empty
PostSubject: Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe?   Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 2:08 am

Until I saw the movie Urban Legend, I don't think I had ever heard of the story of the killer in the backseat. In the movie, one character said her mother STILL checks the backseat before getting into a car.

A few years back TLC had a show on called Mostly True Stories: Urban Legends Revealed, which would look into famous urban legends and reveal if they were real or false or what...and some episodes were redone a second time, I don't know why, but first time the killer in the backseat was concluded as just a story. But then it was redone because back in 2003 a woman WAS attacked by a guy who climbed into her backseat and waited until she came out from shopping. He had a knife on her and made her drive, and she hit a dip in the road and got out and ran, and the man was never found.

On snopes.com the story is said to be a case of art imitating life because the original story was from 1964 where a detective shot a man who hid in his backseat, granted the story did a real 180 from the real case but it just shows you never really know how far back some stories go.

But, what's your take on it? It's late, you're going to your car, maybe you're in a hurry, but do you take the time to check and make sure that there isn't anybody hiding in there, or do you think that would just be a paranoid thing to do since there doesn't seem to be an epidemic of it happening?
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe?   Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 2:15 am

If I am only going in and out to something like the gas station, I don't check. But otherwise, I always check. But, I did have a person to worry about until the last few months, so I always worried about him being in the back seat. Still, I check.
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

PostSubject: Re: Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe?   Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 2:28 am

I never check. a scary version of this story was done in the movie Nightmares (1983) with Emilio Esteves. It was like 4 stories in one movie, this was one.. Emilio played in another story about an arcade game.

some of these stories are real and then exaggerated and twisted, and some are just the fears of the human mind. Centuries ago, witches, vampires, werewolves and other monsters were conjured up to deal with the fear of the unknown--- today in our more "sophisticated" time we use urban legends.

Ever hear of the Jersey Devil? Even that is "based" on a true story. The Leeds family is still in the area.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe?   Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 2:31 am

I never heard of that movie. Sounds interesting, kind of like Campfire Tales, a not-so-good horror anthology movie from 1997.

Jersey Devil, I would swear I've heard of that before...supposed to be the real deal or something?
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe?   Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 4:14 am

Supernova wrote:
I never heard of that movie. Sounds interesting, kind of like Campfire Tales, a not-so-good horror anthology movie from 1997.

Jersey Devil, I would swear I've heard of that before...supposed to be the real deal or something?

It's a very old legend out of South Jersey.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe?   Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 10:25 am

You just have to use common sense. I don't worry about statistics because even if something doesn't happen 99% of the time that doesn't make the 1% feel any better when they find themselves in a situation. It just takes a second to glance. Head up your ass syndrome is the biggest problem. Just being aware of your surroundings. When you're in a parking lot get off the phone for a minute. Pay attention.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe?   Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 2:35 pm

I think you should always check. My car is not that big, so if someone were in my backseat, chances are I would immediately notice before I even got in. But yes, always check.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe?   Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 4:05 pm

I will notice if someone is in my backseat or not, so no...I don't make it a priority to 'check'.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe?   Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 4:56 pm

Maybe if you're driving something large like a van or SUV but I don't think anyone is going to surprise me from the backseat of my car. I've read several places that you should be wary getting into your car if a van is parked next to you. Shrugs (Oh well…)
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe?   Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 5:38 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:
Maybe if you're driving something large like a van or SUV but I don't think anyone is going to surprise me from the backseat of my car. I've read several places that you should be wary getting into your car if a van is parked next to you. Shrugs (Oh well…)

Because of a minor incident in the past that was nothing more than bad timing I won't get in the car on my side especially if I'm by myself & a van is parked next to me. I'll get in & just scoot over the seat. No big deal.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe?   Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 5:54 pm

CeCe wrote:
Alan Smithee wrote:

Because of a minor incident in the past that was nothing more than bad timing I won't get in the car on my side especially if I'm by myself & a van is parked next to me. I'll get in & just scoot over the seat. No big deal.

That's the recommendation I read but I paraphrased it as "be wary".
Back to top Go down
AtownPeep
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
AtownPeep

Female
Rep : 39

PostSubject: Re: Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe?   Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe? EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 3:18 pm

Better safe than sorry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe?   Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is it paranoid, or is it just being safe?
Page 1 of 1