CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
Bluesmama
Cheaps
Shale
captainbryce
CeCe
Forgiveness Man
Alan Smithee
Chris
12 posters

Favorite saints

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Favorite saints Empty Favorite saints

Post by Chris Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:58 am

If you have ever followed religion, are there any biblical saints who are your favorites?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Favorite saints Empty Re: Favorite saints

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:57 am

I yield the floor.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:18 am

You're limiting it to Biblical saints? Anybody who came in the past 2000 years is disqualified eh? FORGIVENESS MAN

Well, I guess that leaves Blessed Mother, John, and Moses, I guess, if we're picking "favorites."
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:44 am

Boondock?
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:03 am

I like St Louis. The Six Flags there is tight and that gateway arch thing was pretty amazing. big grin
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:49 pm

CeCe wrote:Boondock?

clapping RIGHT ON! Have you seen the sequel? I haven't had the chance yet.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:55 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

clapping RIGHT ON! Have you seen the sequel? I haven't had the chance yet.

I have. big grin Not as good as the first but I liked it.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:57 pm

Wilem Defoe stole that movie.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:02 pm

Edit: Off Topic.

Last edited by Shale on Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:31 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:Wilem Defoe stole that movie.

He did. He's an amazing talented actor.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:47 pm

I don't have any
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:54 pm

St. Christopher, and I wear one whenever I travel.

St. Anthony.

St. Cosmas.

Mother Theresa.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:59 pm

Bluesmama wrote:St. Christopher, and I wear one whenever I travel.

St. Anthony.

St. Cosmas.

Mother Theresa.
    Somebody with some actual answers. big grin

I guess if we go outside of the Biblical parameters, I can add St. Patrick and St. Nicholas to the list. But I like all the saints. big grin
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:02 pm

I think Mother Theresa should be a saint. I don't know if they made her one yet, but she definitely should be.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:09 pm

Biblically speaking, anyone who believes in God is considered a saint--not just who the Catholic church appoints as such, according to their criteria.

Here's a few pages of reference to that in the Bible:

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/search.php?word=saints&page=1&order=

Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:23 pm

^^^^The word can be used somewhat loosely. I would think the subject of this thread refers to the term in a more canonized or venerated sense.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:26 pm

Oh, are we back on topic to the OP?

OK, I don't follow a religion, rebelled against Baptist as a teen and was never Catholic, but Saint Frances later seemed to connect with me. Even he had probs with the Catholic church.

Jim and I made a pilgrimage to Assisi, Italy in the '70s. Missed seeing St. Frances for the feast on Oct. 4, but did see Saint Claire.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:28 am

Old Saint Nick.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:50 pm

Saint Anthony (I am named after him)
    Saint Michael
    Saint Theresa
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Hyacinth Girl Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:18 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:^^^^The word can be used somewhat loosely. I would think the subject of this thread refers to the term in a more canonized or venerated sense.

Now there's where a can of worms could open up--those of us who are not Catholic, yet are Bible-beliving Christians, could argue that there's no Biblical basis for the Catholic Church to create saints the way it does. That's being exlusionary to the Body of Christ and saying that only this group, or this or that dead person is worthy to be a saint because of some supposed miracle that happened in their name, when in fact, all who come to God/Jesus are worthy of being labeled a saint.

Sorry--if you take the Bible for what it says directly, and not "loosely", then a lot of Catholic practice is doctrinally incorrect. And I'm not bashing on Catholics, mind you, just saying that I don't agree with a lot of the rituals and rites of that particular religion/faith.

That said, based on the literal interpretation of the Scriptures as far as what they say about saints, then I feel it's an important point to mention. I think that all the Canonized saints do is to take the focus off of God by turning peoples' attention toward their works and not God's.

Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:56 pm

Hyacinth Girl wrote:

Now there's where a can of worms could open up--those of us who are not Catholic, yet are Bible-beliving Christians, could argue that there's no Biblical basis for the Catholic Church to create saints the way it does. That's being exlusionary to the Body of Christ and saying that only this group, or this or that dead person is worthy to be a saint because of some supposed miracle that happened in their name, when in fact, all who come to God/Jesus are worthy of being labeled a saint.

Sorry--if you take the Bible for what it says directly, and not "loosely", then a lot of Catholic practice is doctrinally incorrect. And I'm not bashing on Catholics, mind you, just saying that I don't agree with a lot of the rituals and rites of that particular religion/faith.

That said, based on the literal interpretation of the Scriptures as far as what they say about saints, then I feel it's an important point to mention. I think that all the Canonized saints do is to take the focus off of God by turning peoples' attention toward their works and not God's.

You might not want to open that can of worms. It already oozes with ignorance of what the Church actually teaches. So if people cannot even get what the Church teaches right, I hardly trust their interpretation of what the Bible says.

That is simply incorrect. The Catholic Church is 100% within Biblical confines, especially in it not limiting itself to what is said in the Bible. (PM me for more on this. Razz) But that is off topic of this thread, and it seems to me that few people are actually taking this topic seriously. Mocking it, and now you wanna turn it into a referendum on the Catholic Church.

And nope, the canonized saints do not take any attention away from God. If anything, they give him more attention. The problem with non-Catholic interpretation of Catholic practices is that they usually get it wrong. (I am so waiting for you-know-who to respond with another essay. FORGIVENESS MAN)

And having said that, this is NOT the topic of this thread. I'd be happy to discuss this further with you in private, where it's not off-topic in a thread. Wink Referendums on the Catholic Church are not on the topic of asking about your favorite saint.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:50 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:I think Mother Theresa should be a saint. I don't know if they made her one yet, but she definitely should be.

I think that in their lifetime they have to prove that they performed at least one miracle then they can be canonized a saint.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Hyacinth Girl Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:29 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:You might not want to open that can of worms. It already oozes with ignorance of what the Church actually teaches. So if people cannot even get what the Church teaches right, I hardly trust their interpretation of what the Bible says.

That is simply incorrect. The Catholic Church is 100% within Biblical confines, especially in it not limiting itself to what is said in the Bible. (PM me for more on this. Razz) But that is off topic of this thread, and it seems to me that few people are actually taking this topic seriously. Mocking it, and now you wanna turn it into a referendum on the Catholic Church.

And nope, the canonized saints do not take any attention away from God. If anything, they give him more attention. The problem with non-Catholic interpretation of Catholic practices is that they usually get it wrong. (I am so waiting for you-know-who to respond with another essay. FORGIVENESS MAN)

And having said that, this is NOT the topic of this thread. I'd be happy to discuss this further with you in private, where it's not off-topic in a thread. Wink Referendums on the Catholic Church are not on the topic of asking about your favorite saint.

First of all, I'm mocking nothing, so I don't even know how you deduced that.

Second, Jesus' words in John 14:6 says that no one shall come to the Father except through Me, so how does that make it doctrinally correct that the Catholic faith prays to Mary and all the other dead saints to intercede to God on their behalf? It says you go directly to Jesus/God, not worship and pay homage to another human being.

And third, where in Scripture is it stated the steps by which the Catholic church canonizes people into saints? I'd be interested to read that if you can point it out to me, because I sure can't find it anywhere. Seems to me that's "Of man" not "of God".

So no, I'm sticking on topic, since the topic is "saints" and most associate that with the Catholic church, but I'm merely presenting a broader definition of, based on what it actually says in the Bible about saints. Therefore, if Chris, Tony, Alan, CeCe and anyone else here were believers, then they too would be considered "saints", and I could say that any one of them would be a favorite saint of mine, in keeping with the title of this thread.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:46 am

^^^^The mocking was directed at almost everyone else. Wink

Nobody in the Church worships another human being. And since Jesus said nobody comes to the father except through me, than that would also mean that it's wrong to ask somebody to pray for you who IS alive? So are you telling me that if your family member was sick, you wouldn't want people to pray for you? You wouldn't ask them to? There's an inconsistency most who sing your song hold. (That's part one or rebuttal. There's more. Razz But again, this isn't supposed to be a debate thread so we'll discuss it elsewhere) And again, already you show a lack of understand of just what Catholics do. So how it "seems to you" is already suspect seeing as you already mistake Catholic practices.

Where in Scripture does it say that every process needs to be explicitly stated in Scripture? Bible alone theology is contradictory cause it's unBiblical. (God also Biblically gave his Church the power to loose and bind. So it's not "of man.")

It is off topic. lol This isn't a debate thread. You seem to want to nitpick the usage of the word when it's clear that it's application is not describing every believer, in the context of this thread. lol It seems to be hijacking a "what's your favorite" topic that is clear in intent to nitpick your way into making a theological statement. lol Wink
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Hyacinth Girl Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:21 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:^^^^The mocking was directed at almost everyone else. Wink

Nobody in the Church worships another human being. And since Jesus said nobody comes to the father except through me, than that would also mean that it's wrong to ask somebody to pray for you who IS alive? So are you telling me that if your family member was sick, you wouldn't want people to pray for you? You wouldn't ask them to?

Asking someone to pray for you is far different than exalting them to God-like status or putting them on the same plane as Jesus, as are some of the Catholic saints. But if Scripture says you can and are to, go directly to God, then why on Earth would you make someone into a "saint" after some miracle they performed? People don't perform the miracles, God does through us, and that's part of where the doctrinal error is--"saints" are being seen as having god-like powers.

Forgiveness Man wrote:an inconsistency most who sing your song hold. (That's part one or rebuttal. There's more. Razz But again, this isn't supposed to be a debate thread so we'll discuss it elsewhere) And again, already you show a lack of understand of just what Catholics do. So how it "seems to you" is already suspect seeing as you already mistake Catholic practices.

So we aren't supposed to give our opinion on things? Isn't that the point of posting in a forum? I've been around Catholics long enough to know that some, not all of their practices make me question the doctrinal validity. I sent my daughter to Catholic schools up until 8th grade, and I married into an Italian Catholic family, 21 years ago, so I think I've got a good understanding.

Forgiveness Man wrote:

Where in Scripture does it say that every process needs to be explicitly stated in Scripture? Bible alone theology is contradictory cause it's unBiblical. (God also Biblically gave his Church the power to loose and bind. So it's not "of man.")

Every process should be measured against Scripture, regardless of whether or not it's expressly stated. If the Bible is the word of God, and something seems to contradict that, then shouldn't it be questioned? And yes, binding and loosing is given to us as part of spiritual warfare through the Holy Spirit which dwells within us when we accept God.

Forgiveness Man wrote:

It is off topic. lol This isn't a debate thread. You seem to want to nitpick the usage of the word when it's clear that it's application is not describing every believer, in the context of this thread. lol It seems to be hijacking a "what's your favorite" topic that is clear in intent to nitpick your way into making a theological statement. lol Wink

Again, "debate" and differing opinions and interpretations are part of what makes up a forum, and should be expected. As I stated before, the Biblical definition of "saint" is far broader than what the Catholic church sees it as, and given that, I'm simply stating that it's just another thing to keep in mind, and therefore, widens the range of "who your favorite saint" can be. You could say that Brad Pitt or Betty White are one of your favorite saints if they believe in God and you take the Bible for face-value.

I'm simply coming at it from a logical standpoint, but personally, I think you just don't like it when someone ruffles your feathers to the point where it can appear that you aren't necessarily the most-knowledgeable about all topics.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 4:38 am