True Life: I Wish I Were Straight Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

True Life: I Wish I Were Straight

Go down 
+8
Nystyle709
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
RedBedroom
RobbieFTW
CeCe
Forgiveness Man
Alan Smithee
Chris
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

True Life: I Wish I Were Straight Empty
PostSubject: True Life: I Wish I Were Straight   True Life: I Wish I Were Straight EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 7:09 am

MTV recently aired an episode of True Life that profiled a gay man and a lesbian who wished they were straight, and were seeking 'help' in hopes of making that desire a possibility. Unsurprisingly, the episode has generated criticism from people who say that MTV was acting irresponsibly by airing it, because of the negative message it sent.

What do you think, do the naysayers have a point?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: True Life: I Wish I Were Straight   True Life: I Wish I Were Straight EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 7:11 am

Yes. It's also more evidence that it's not a "choice".
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: True Life: I Wish I Were Straight   True Life: I Wish I Were Straight EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 8:22 am

How is it sending a negative message by portraying people who wish to change? What about tolerance for what others want to do? It can't be sending a negative message by showing people exercising their CHOICE to seek help, right? (Not that I have any confidence in their portrayal of said help. It is MTV afterall. lol) Negative messages? More like even appearing to be going against the societal status quo (which I doubt it even will).
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: True Life: I Wish I Were Straight   True Life: I Wish I Were Straight EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 8:42 am

MTV was very irresponsible & should have known better.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male

PostSubject: Re: True Life: I Wish I Were Straight   True Life: I Wish I Were Straight EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 8:50 am

CeCe wrote:
MTV was very irresponsible & should have known better.
I agree that they should've known better. They couldn't have thought the intolerant media would just let this slide. You can't show all sides of an issue, only those the media deems socially acceptable. MTV of all networks should know that.
Back to top Go down
RobbieFTW
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
RobbieFTW

Male
Rep : 145

PostSubject: Re: True Life: I Wish I Were Straight   True Life: I Wish I Were Straight EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 9:09 am

I saw that and couldnt believe MTV of all places would show something like that since they have a reputation for being gay friendly. I dont think it should have aired. No confused and scared gay teen should have seen that crap.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: True Life: I Wish I Were Straight   True Life: I Wish I Were Straight EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 9:37 am

How did it end? Did the two of them ultimately say that whatever they tried didn't work?

If that is the case, I wouldn't think it was a bad thing to be aired. I am sure there are a lot of young, afraid gay kids who do think sometimes that there might be a way for them to at least feel some desire for the opposite sex.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

PostSubject: Re: True Life: I Wish I Were Straight   True Life: I Wish I Were Straight EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 9:43 am

RedBedroom wrote:
How did it end? Did the two of them ultimately say that whatever they tried didn't work?

If that is the case, I wouldn't think it was a bad thing to be aired. I am sure there are a lot of young, afraid gay kids who do think sometimes that there might be a way for them to at least feel some desire for the opposite sex.

There are, and the last thing they need to be told is that they need to change. What they really need is acceptance. To know that there's nothing wrong with who they are. People would freak if there were a show telling people they needed to change from straight to gay. Our sexuality isn't a choice. It isn't the people who are gay that need to change, it's everyone else trying to make them into someone other than who they are.
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male
Rep : 62

PostSubject: Re: True Life: I Wish I Were Straight   True Life: I Wish I Were Straight EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 9:50 am

MTV also airs documentaries about who do drugs and get drunk every night. There are people out there who undergo all this therapy to trick themselves into thinking they are straight. I don't think MTV is necessarily endorsing it.

I think people need to sit down and relax.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male

PostSubject: Re: True Life: I Wish I Were Straight   True Life: I Wish I Were Straight EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 9:55 am

CeCe wrote:

There are, and the last thing they need to be told is that they need to change. What they really need is acceptance. To know that there's nothing wrong with who they are. People would freak if there were a show telling people they needed to change from straight to gay. Our sexuality isn't a choice. It isn't the people who are gay that need to change, it's everyone else trying to make them into someone other than who they are.

People would freak (just like they are freaking now. People like to freak), but the network could still air it. I'd actually think it would be a bigger joke and it would make the movement look bad. lol I would be a funny special. Razz

Our sexuality isn't a choice but choosing to pursue it is. If you need to have your choice accepted, then I say you're the one with doubts. You don't need acceptance. They don't need acceptance. Nobody needs acceptance of their choices. Acceptance is not a right. And you will never get acceptance by namecalling and insulting the people who don't accept you. We tell our kids not to care about what others think yet we act like they have a right to acceptance. People don't need acceptance if they are truly confident and comfortable in what they've chosen to do. If you are confident that there is nothing wrong with you, then why do you need people to tell you that you're right? If you are content with yourself, you shouldn't need acceptance.

The show portrayed a different side of people CHOOSING some course of action. The fact that people are offended by a choice that goes against their ideas shows me how hypocritical they are. Especially considering that the network likely isn't even promoting it and probably would be discouraging it if it wasn't working. People seem to enjoy getting upset over nothing. Touchy America. lol
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: True Life: I Wish I Were Straight   True Life: I Wish I Were Straight EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 11:55 am

They couldn't pray it away?
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: True Life: I Wish I Were Straight   True Life: I Wish I Were Straight EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 2:47 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
They couldn't pray it away?

That just works for ice cream.
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female
Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: True Life: I Wish I Were Straight   True Life: I Wish I Were Straight EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 4:03 pm

Chris wrote:
MTV recently aired an episode of True Life that profiled a gay man and a lesbian who wished they were straight, and were seeking 'help' in hopes of making that desire a possibility. Unsurprisingly, the episode has generated criticism from people who say that MTV was acting irresponsibly by airing it, because of the negative message it sent.

Here's political-correctedness at its best again!

MTV could air a show about a gay man wanting to "come out", or want surgery to become female, and that would be fully acceptable. Present a different side to those who are NOT comfortable in their own skin, and people are shitting their pants.

Well, guess what? There ARE some gays out there who wish they weren't (I know, I've had some male gay friends). Do they not have the same rights to voice THEIR feelings?

Such bullshit.
Back to top Go down
tmontyb
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
tmontyb

Male
Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: True Life: I Wish I Were Straight   True Life: I Wish I Were Straight EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 5:46 pm

Bluesmama wrote:

MTV could air a show about a gay man wanting to "come out", or want surgery to become female, and that would be fully acceptable. Present a different side to those who are NOT comfortable in their own skin, and people are shitting their pants.

Well, guess what? There ARE some gays out there who wish they weren't (I know, I've had some male gay friends). Do they not have the same rights to voice THEIR feelings?

Such bullshit.

Apples and oranges. Changing one's gender is hardly the same as NOT wanting to have sex with someone of the same sex.

Anyone can have sex with whom they choose. You simply can't change your gender. Anyway, these people need help, but they need help to just accept who they are not try to do what they think is "acceptable" to society.

Do I think MTV was irresponsible? Not really. It's someone's POV about himself.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male

PostSubject: Re: True Life: I Wish I Were Straight   True Life: I Wish I Were Straight EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 6:16 pm

Bluesmama wrote:

Such bullshit.
I hear ya. We might have changed what's in the comfort zone, but society still doesn't like to leave it.
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

PostSubject: Re: True Life: I Wish I Were Straight   True Life: I Wish I Were Straight EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 7:04 pm

I didnt see it. I agree that people need to have tolerance for others' differences, but i also think that people should respect others' opinions. I see no problem with showing someone's feeling or struggle with issues, whether it be sexuality, drugs, family issues, disease, money problems, self esteem issues etc

and NO -- im not comparing homosexuality to a disease, im stating that how one chooses to deal with circumstances of life, and how they feel about it should not be censored
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: True Life: I Wish I Were Straight   True Life: I Wish I Were Straight EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 7:08 pm

Bluesmama wrote:

Such bullshit.

I'm curious as to why your gay friends wished they weren't gay.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

PostSubject: Re: True Life: I Wish I Were Straight   True Life: I Wish I Were Straight EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 7:21 pm

tmontyb wrote:

Anyone can have sex with whom they choose. You simply can't change your gender. Anyway, these people need help, but they need help to just accept who they are not try to do what they think is "acceptable" to society.

This is the thing that concerns me most. The profound pressure some of theses kids are under & often with no one to turn to. One Seth Walsh is one too many. I think society has to shake off the false idea that only one way is normal. And I agree with what you're saying. I think care needs to be taken to show both sides but not reinforce the idea for someone already struggling that they "need" to change. If that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female
Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: True Life: I Wish I Were Straight   True Life: I Wish I Were Straight EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 7:48 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

I'm curious as to why your gay friends wished they weren't gay.

They weren't happy much of the time. Oh, they partied hardy and were sexually active (some more than others) but they always seemed conflicted. One guy in particular attracted a lot of women that were "sought after", and while they did nothing for him, I guess he viewed it as a wasted opportunity. Don't know beyond that. I didn't pry, considering it all a very personal thing.

Back to top Go down
AtownPeep
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
AtownPeep

Female
Rep : 39

PostSubject: Re: True Life: I Wish I Were Straight   True Life: I Wish I Were Straight EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 1:11 am

Chris wrote:

No. True Life is supposed to be a documentary on real people, and where they're coming from. If there are gays out there who want to not be gay, then that's their story. Not everything has to positive or uplifting in order to "true".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: True Life: I Wish I Were Straight   True Life: I Wish I Were Straight Empty

Back to top Go down

True Life: I Wish I Were Straight
Page 1 of 1