CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Nystyle709
wants2laugh
RedBedroom
7 posters

What are sperm donors' obligations, if any?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

What are sperm donors' obligations, if any? Empty What are sperm donors' obligations, if any?

Post by RedBedroom Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:58 am

There is a story in the news right now about a sperm donor passing away from a heart conditon that he never fessed up to after learing he had it, and he passed away from it. Story:

A sperm donor who had a medical condition called Marfan’s syndrome (a connective tissue disorder) as well as a heart defect, was able to “father” at least 24 children through sperm donation to three sperm banks. However, he never notified the sperm bank about his condition, a disturbing fact considering that 50% of the children he fathered could inherit the condition.

Lucky for Rebecca Blackwell and her son Tyler, they got curious about Tyler’s sperm donor and set out to find him. They later learned of the father’s medical condition and found out that Tyler had inherited the condition as well. Because of this, Tyler later had surgery at 18 when doctors found a defect in his aorta.

Blackwell now wonders why the fertility clinic was never required to update the sperm donor’s medical history given that there were so many lives at risk.

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

What are sperm donors' obligations, if any? Empty Re: What are sperm donors' obligations, if any?

Post by RedBedroom Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:00 am

In a perfect world, I think that sperm donors would go back and notify, but if they have donated years ago, I don't know that they shouldn't just be able to make the choice not to notify.

I guess it is all a reason not to use a sperm donor.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

What are sperm donors' obligations, if any? Empty Re: What are sperm donors' obligations, if any?

Post by wants2laugh Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:13 am

i think it is one of the risks of using sperm donors. Let's face it, there are many people who have children with men who break up and never see/hear from them again---its the same situation.

If the mothers were informed ahead of time, they wouldnt want the sperm from that donor, or the donor would be disqualified. In the case such as this one, someone would probably try to sue either the donor, the sperm bank, or both
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:31 am

I think it should be required to disclose all medical information and history....and if necessary, have the banks do a check to see if the donor has any inheritable traits/defects. Not that I will knock women for using a sperm bank, but I will never use one. It's like Cracker Jack. You don't know what surprise you'll get.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:39 am

If the donor knows of medical issues he should reveal that from just an ethical point. But it really is just the chance taken by using a sperm bank. Sometimes even a donor doesn't even know because he may have been adopted & given no information. Some things can skip generations. Everyone probably carries something. Using a sperm bank is just an assumed risk.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:41 am

It's be respectful to make conditions aware to those who use it but it's also one of the risks of doing it with the anonymous donor way.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:56 am

What would help is updating paternity laws making it a contractual and binding legal doc that you can know your donor but he can opt out of any connection or responsibility to the child and the mother can have sole custody with no interference from the biological father.

That way ppl will be able to choose sperm donors from friends or acquaintances that give them more control over their history. But the way it is now, there is no way to get around those ancient paternity laws that can work to each bio parent's disadvantage.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:50 am

I guess it is one of the risks a woman takes when she opts to be inseminated through a donor, but I thought donors had to undergo a full physical evaluation before they were eligible to donate. If this isn't the standard, then it should be.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:37 am

i can understand how a woman would use a sperm bank... im single and 37-- my bio clock is BANGING really loudly. If I were really interested in having a child, I would go to a sperm bank and have one. But i also know that i would be terrified of not knowing what im getting. I think i would rather try to use someone i know, and ask him to sign a parental termination first before going to the sperm bank.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:13 pm

wants2laugh wrote:...I think i would rather try to use someone i know, and ask him to sign a parental termination first before going to the sperm bank.

That is the whole point, are such contracts even legal with the parental rights/obligation laws in most states? IDK how the sperm banks get around it. They may have special dispensation from the laws that arbitrate regular ppl. Or the anonymity of 'confidential' medical info may prevent any further inquiry as to who the real parent is.

It is the usual grey area of laws being totally antiquated to what is actually happening in the world. Like, infertile grandma has a good uterus and surrogate births a child from two other ppl. Who is the mother? Some places the law still says the pussy it came out of belongs to mama. Does that conflict with DNA testing to determine paternity?

With modern technology and archaic laws, a man could be the half-brother to his own son.
    Shocked

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:28 am