CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Jason B.
Supernova
CeCe
Nystyle709
Forgiveness Man
Chris
10 posters

Do childhood bullies grow out of it?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Do childhood bullies grow out of it? Empty Do childhood bullies grow out of it?

Post by Chris Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:59 am

If you've ever known anyone who was a bully as a child, when they became adults, did they still have that mentality; or did they grow out of it.

In general, do you think childhood bullies go on to become adult bullies as well?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Do childhood bullies grow out of it? Empty Re: Do childhood bullies grow out of it?

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:39 am

I guess it depends. I am sure they CAN grow out of it, just like they CAN be left to turn into sociopaths. I never followed any bullies into adulthood to really know.

I think it depends on what kind of intervention there is. If they are essentially rewarded for their behavior, why would they grow out of it?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Do childhood bullies grow out of it? Empty Re: Do childhood bullies grow out of it?

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:10 am

I guess they can. I actually was cool with someone who was 'somewhat' of a bully. She never bullied me....but she would go around and bully the other kids a little bit. I haven't spoken to her in ages but from what I gather....she doesn't do the same thing anymore, although she still has the same demeanor.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:39 am

A lot of them keep it up until they get their own ass whipped by an even bigger bully than them.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:50 am

They CAN but I seriously doubt they DO, I think a lot of them remain bullies, just on a different level.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:33 pm

I have seen former childhood bullies grow out of their penchant for going out of their way to pick on and taunt people, but most of the ones I've known keep that caustic edge to their personality. It's just part of who they are.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:04 pm

I am only in semi-regular contact with one person who could be described as a bully when we were kids. He's matured a great deal since then and I wouldn't describe him as a bully today.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:03 pm

Glad i can't help you because I never knew any bullies.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Hyacinth Girl Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:52 pm

Actually, my daughter just lost a friend from her class in school, two days ago to suicide brought on by bullying and cyber-bullying.

We're waiting to find out about when or if there are going to be any services or just private for family only, and we're not sure how the boy killed himself. It's terrible, though, when bullying gets that bad that some people think the only escape is to commit suicide.

Poor kid--and I feel bad, but also at the same time, you have to be able to rise up, and not let things get to you so much, ask for help--whatever it is that will stop the bullying or at least allow you to take control over it.

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:23 pm

Hyacinth Girl wrote:Actually, my daughter just lost a friend from her class in school, two days ago to suicide brought on by bullying and cyber-bullying.

We're waiting to find out about when or if there are going to be any services or just private for family only, and we're not sure how the boy killed himself. It's terrible, though, when bullying gets that bad that some people think the only escape is to commit suicide.

Poor kid--and I feel bad, but also at the same time, you have to be able to rise up, and not let things get to you so much, ask for help--whatever it is that will stop the bullying or at least allow you to take control over it.

That's terrible. It rocks you when it's that close to home. Especially shocking when you consider all the 'anti-bullying' awareness that's been in the media over the past year.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Hyacinth Girl Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:01 am

^^Yes, I'm sure there will be some sort of assembly to that fact, once high school resumes on the 31st around here. The funeral is this Friday, and here's a link to a Facebook tribute page that was created for the boy:

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/RIP-Suade-Cooley/208355979214214
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:17 am

Hy Girl, I am so sorry to read that. Just terrible.

As far as the original question, I think that most do age/mature out of the bullying. Maybe because they get their ass handed to them, or they realize that once they are in the real world, their high school status doesn't translate.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:30 am