CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+11
stonestatic
RedBedroom
CatEyes10736
Tony Marino
mindfuck
Darkflower
Dan70
AtownPeep
Jaws
Nystyle709
Marc™
15 posters

Don't text me, call...

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Don't text me, call... Empty Don't text me, call...

Post by Marc™ Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:13 am

I hate text messages. The only use I have for them is if you are making a quick statement that doesn't warrant a reply. I hate...hate...when people try and have full on conversations with me via text messages. It's annoying as hell trying to maneuver that tiny touchscreen keyboard on a cellphone. Call.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Don't text me, call... Empty Re: Don't text me, call...

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:20 am

Marc wrote:I hate text messages. The only use I have for them is if you are making a quick statement that doesn't warrant a reply. I hate...hate...when people try and have full on conversations with me via text messages. It's annoying as hell trying to maneuver that tiny touchscreen keyboard on a cellphone. Call.

I'm definitely guilty. I text all the damn time. I'm a pro with that touch screen. Now granted, when I want to talk I'd expect you to answer the phone, cause if I text and I see it's going into a serious conversation, I'll stop texting and dial the number. But when I say what's up to somebody, I'd definitely text them before I'd call.
    Jaws
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 7

Post by Jaws Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:25 am

I hate texting but I've come to accept it as the new way to talk. But if someone texts me saying someone died or they were in an accident, I won't even reply I'll just call them. Serious stuff does not go in text messages.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:26 am

I'm all for a "made it home alright, goodnight" type of text exchange.

But "what are you doing...? what did you do today...? where do you wanna go eat....? what do you wanna see at the show...?" Nah.

Anything that warrants a paragraph answer... call me.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:10 am

I only got good at it because a third of my friends are habitual texters who would rather do it than call. My BF in particular largely hates telephone conversations.
    Dan70
    Dan70
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 6

Post by Dan70 Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:12 pm

My cell has texting capabilities but I never use it. From what I can tell, texting is largely a teenage and 20-something thing to do. Most of my friends and the people I talk to are 30+ and like me can appreciate good old fashion blab, so it's never really an issue for me. I agree with what Marc said about texting only for a declarative. If there's to be a back and forth, I would rather you call instead.
    Jaws
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 7

Post by Jaws Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Another thing too is I hate it when people ask me for favors via texting. Though it does make it much easier to say "no."

If I ask someone for a favor though, I'll call them. It's much easier to persuade and sound desperate on the phone then it is by texting. Don't text me, call... Icon_twisted Don't text me, call... Icon_twisted
    Darkflower
    Darkflower
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 1

Don't text me, call... Empty It may be, in part, a generational thing.

Post by Darkflower Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:00 pm

I've always been a bit of a Luddite. I understand the convenience of E-mail, for example, but I still stubbornly write and send paper letters via snail mail as well. I hate texting, but I realize that it's ubiquitous these days, so I always feel a little embarrassed when I have to inform a new contact that I don't text at all. Well, I guess I end up doing so, but only to tell whomever that I don't text. lol I guess I'm also kind of annoyed at the degree to which text speak seems to have bled its way into non-SMS modes of written communication.

I guess I'll have to accept that I'm a fuddy-duddy of some sort.
    mindfuck
    mindfuck
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Post by mindfuck Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:18 pm

Texting is just a quicker and more direct email. I do it all the time and prefer it to monotony of sitting on the line and talking about bullshit.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:28 pm

Marc wrote:I hate text messages. The only use I have for them is if you are making a quick statement that doesn't warrant a reply. I hate...hate...when people try and have full on conversations with me via text messages. It's annoying as hell trying to maneuver that tiny touchscreen keyboard on a cellphone. Call.

Agree. Most of the time my cell phone is in the off mode and I would prefer a call to sitting there typing out a letter on my blackberry that will take me 10 minutes to write 3 lines. If its important leave me a message on my voice mail and I will CALL you back.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:20 pm

AtownPeep wrote:I only got good at it because a third of my friends are habitual texters who would rather do it than call. My BF in particular largely hates telephone conversations.

Just like my boyfriend. He sends me about 20 texts a day and I'm thinking how much easier it would be (for him) to just dial the number instead. Like you said, it is pretty much because of him that I've become fast at texting. Before it would take me about five minutes to type one out and it still wouldn't be perfect.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:39 pm

I am not much of a phone call fan anymore. I much prefer a text exchange if it is just general. I can reply and not completely stop whatever I am doing.
    My biggest gripes about texting though, is that kids are really killing off their spelling abilities. Their brains are not developed enough to distinguish that text talk should be reserved for texting only and not things like email and Facebook.
    Also, I despise forwarded texts. I had a couple friends who got into doing that and I had to tell them to stop. I don't like forwarded emails, but at least when I check my email I will expect to have to weed through them. I should not have to wonder when the phone alerts if it is a legitimate text or mass text.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:34 am

RedBedroom wrote:.
    My biggest gripes about texting though, is that kids are really killing off their spelling abilities. Their brains are not developed enough to distinguish that text talk should be reserved for texting only and not things like email and Facebook.
    Also, I despise forwarded texts. I had a couple friends who got into doing that and I had to tell them to stop. I don't like forwarded emails, but at least when I check my email I will expect to have to weed through them. I should not have to wonder when the phone alerts if it is a legitimate text or mass text.

You hit the nail on the head. Now, these are the people I don't text. I don't have time to deal with people who TyPe LyKe DiS. Or say 'wud' instead of 'would' or 'cud' instead of 'could', etc. That shit pisses me off. Use fucking English properly! I have no problem with a little slang or shortening words but people are too ridiculous. I text the way I type. It's not that hard.
    stonestatic
    stonestatic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 24

Post by stonestatic Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:10 pm

MINDFUCK wrote:Texting is just a quicker and more direct email. I do it all the time and prefer it to monotony of sitting on the line and talking about bullshit.

I agree with this that it is a more direct email. I can't have a full blown convo with someone via texts butn when it comes to brief exchanges I prefer it because you can respond at your leisure and have more time to think.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:56 pm

I'm all about texting. Unless it's someone I'm really close to or someone I haven't heard from in a long time or BOTH, then I prefer to have text exchanges. Talking on the phone can get on my nerves with the hanging on every word, cutting each other off, or bad ("can you hear me now?") connections. Then there's when you're on the line with someone who you really don't wanna talk to. In text conversations, the annoyance from that isn't as painful.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:37 pm

" "

I prefer talking too, but I don't mind text messages, so long as they are quick exchanges like you said. I can't handle excessive texting. That gets on my nerves.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:46 pm

JB wrote:I'm all about texting. Unless it's someone I'm really close to or someone I haven't heard from in a long time or BOTH, then I prefer to have text exchanges. Talking on the phone can get on my nerves with the hanging on every word, cutting each other off, or bad ("can you hear me now?") connections. Then there's when you're on the line with someone who you really don't wanna talk to. In text conversations, the annoyance from that isn't as painful.

True.....and also I flirt a lot by texting. I think it's easier to do because you're not directly in front of the person so you can be as raunchy as you wanna be and not feel shy about it. It adds some mystery to that person as well as funny as that may sound. It also leads to "sexting". I got so many pictures of penises and pecs in my phone that I could prob. start my own little Playgirl spread. Don't text me, call... 794954
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:33 am

You get used to it when you have a twelve year old daughter. Sometimes I think I understood her better when she was a toddler.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:47 pm

Don't call me over something extraneous, but text me when something is important.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:35 am