CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Supernova
RedBedroom
6 posters

On Friday, I didn't understand all the hype about Lucille Ball's 100th birthday

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

On Friday, I didn't understand all the hype about Lucille Ball's 100th birthday Empty On Friday, I didn't understand all the hype about Lucille Ball's 100th birthday

Post by RedBedroom Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:08 pm

I don't understand making any sort of deal out of a passed celeb's 100th birthday. Anybody agree?

Tony's sig is currently tributing Marilyn Monroe's death anniversary, and I get that. People can look at the date, and remember what they were doing that amount of years ago when the learned of her death, or take note of how long ago the death happened. But to make mention of a "would-be" birthday makes no sense to me.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

On Friday, I didn't understand all the hype about Lucille Ball's 100th birthday Empty Re: On Friday, I didn't understand all the hype about Lucille Ball's 100th birthday

Post by Supernova Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:09 pm

Well she was one hell of a lady and 100 years for anything is a memorable number. I can see more sense in that than everybody making a big deal in Obama turning 50.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

On Friday, I didn't understand all the hype about Lucille Ball's 100th birthday Empty Re: On Friday, I didn't understand all the hype about Lucille Ball's 100th birthday

Post by RedBedroom Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:11 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying she wasn't a heck of a lady. I just don't see how it is newsworthy when she didn't live to be 100.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:14 pm

That's true but I think when it's the birthdate of anybody famous for a centennial birthday, people really take notice. Like 89, not so memorable, 97, same, 100, that's a number that gets attention. It's got me wondering what it's going to be like on August 29th, 2058, what would be Michael Jackson's 100th birthday.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Supernova wrote:That's true but I think when it's the birthdate of anybody famous for a centennial birthday, people really take notice. Like 89, not so memorable, 97, same, 100, that's a number that gets attention. It's got me wondering what it's going to be like on August 29th, 2058, what would be Michael Jackson's 100th birthday.

Ha! I'll be 102 by then.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:19 pm

It's understandable that it was covered in the media because of the ground she broke. Not only for the entertainment business itself but for women.

Lucille Ball
    One of the most beloved comediennes of all times, Lucille Desiree Ball, left an impact on the business and entertainment industries that endures still today. Speaking of her profession, Ball once said, "You cannot teach someone comedy, either they have it or they don't." Born in Jamestown, New York, Lucille Desiree Ball left her hometown at the age of fifteen to study drama in New York City and began her early entertainment career with stints as a model and Goldwyn Girl. Making her film debut in 1933, Ball became known as the "Queen of the B's" for her numerous roles in B-movies. She appeared in more than 75 films even before starting the show that would ultimately change the face of entertainment. In 1951, Ball and her husband, Desi Arnaz, launched a comedy television series, I Love Lucy, based on their own lives. The show pioneered technical aspects of a comedy show, using three cameras, a set, and a live audience. It was also the first time a visibly pregnant woman was seen on television. The show became the launching pad for the endearing comic genius of Ball. Proving that her talents extended beyond the realm of comedy, the entrepreneur became the first female studio head in Hollywood. As president of Desilu Productions, she broke the glass ceiling for women executives in the film and television industry and her shows live on in syndication. Ball went on to garner thirteen Emmy nominations and four Emmy Awards for her work. In 1986, she received a Kennedy Center Honor for her contributions to the world of entertainment. In 1989, she was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Many of today's comediennes and actresses still count Ball as a mentor and influence and her legacy of laughter and business acumen continues to inspire.

http://www.greatwomen.org/women-of-the-hall/search-the-hall/details/2/178-Ball

I Love Lucy is a show that lives on. People sometimes can't remember what happened on a stupid sitcom last week but they can remember episodes of I Love Lucy from their childhood. The freezer & side of beef, Ricky "fixing" Fred & Ethel's TV, who gossips more, wrapping candy, Vitameatavegamin, Rock Hudson whistling, the ax murderer, stealing John Wayne's footprints, the designer dresses, Gobloots, the mink coat, the baby chicks, the wax tulips & who knows how many more. Her contributions were in front of AND behind the camera. She was a phenomenon & to do it in the lifetime & society in which she lived is incredible.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:43 pm

CeCe wrote:It's understandable that it was covered in the media because of the ground she broke. Not only for the entertainment business itself but for women.

I Love Lucy is a show that lives on. People sometimes can't remember what happened on a stupid sitcom last week but they can remember episodes of I Love Lucy from their childhood. The freezer & side of beef, Ricky "fixing" Fred & Ethel's TV, who gossips more, wrapping candy, Vitameatavegamin, Rock Hudson whistling, the ax murderer, stealing John Wayne's footprints, the designer dresses, Gobloots, the mink coat, the baby chicks, the wax tulips & who knows how many more. Her contributions were in front of AND behind the camera. She was a phenomenon & to do it in the lifetime & society in which she lived is incredible.

It was hatchet murderess, Evelyn Holmby the famous gray haired hatchet murderesss! ROFLMAO!

And yes, who could forget the Gobloots from the Blushu bird?

Another favorite of mine was the Madam X episode, Too Many Crooks. And also where Ricky thought Lucy was a kleptomaniac.

Though one thing they don't tell you about, she may have left home at 15, but she quickly had to go back because she suddenly suffered a mysterious illness and was left unable to walk. She was bedridden for I think 2 years during which time she read all the books in her town library, especially every work of Zane Grey. The author of her biography, Lucy in the Afternoon, knew her and took a class she taught on I think comedy, and concluded that the illness was more psychosomatic because she needed to be close with her mother for a while longer before spreading her wings. Interestingly enough this same author said that Lucy came to him after she died, and he asked her WHY she had to die, and (shortly before her death she was due to make an appearance in Buffalo, but her age and the cold weather there made the very idea a hell for her) her answer was because she didn't want to go to Buffalo!
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:44 am

Supernova wrote:Well she was one hell of a lady and 100 years for anything is a memorable number. I can see more sense in that than everybody making a big deal in Obama turning 50.
    Word. lol Wink

100 is a big deal. Even if she isn't around for it, everybody loved Lucy. I don't see the big deal about the fuss.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:39 am

I heard some talk about it here & there but I didnt get too overloaded with news about it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 4:40 am