How useful is it to know a second language? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How useful is it to know a second language?

Go down 
+4
Marc™
Nystyle709
Tony Marino
Chris
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

How useful is it to know a second language? Empty
PostSubject: How useful is it to know a second language?   How useful is it to know a second language? EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 11:10 am

For all you people that studied a foreign language, how often do you put the language into practice now?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: How useful is it to know a second language?   How useful is it to know a second language? EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 11:27 am

Never.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: How useful is it to know a second language?   How useful is it to know a second language? EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 11:34 am

I know it's a great thing to learn another language, but I never had the patience to do so. I wish I was fluent in Spanish. I can understand Spanish a bit if you speak it slowly and I can say some things in Spanish....but I wish I was more diligent in learning it. And I've always wanted to learn French.
Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

PostSubject: Re: How useful is it to know a second language?   How useful is it to know a second language? EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 9:36 pm

I took Spanish and French in HS....and have never used them outside of the classroom.
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: How useful is it to know a second language?   How useful is it to know a second language? EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 2:05 am

I'd love to know Spanish as I sponsor children in several Latin American countries. Also, French would be handy if I want a government job.
Back to top Go down
Cheaps
Cheaps

Female
Rep : 252

PostSubject: Re: How useful is it to know a second language?   How useful is it to know a second language? EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 3:35 am

At my current job, Spanish would be very useful, at least then I could communicate with our housekeepers.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: How useful is it to know a second language?   How useful is it to know a second language? EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 1:36 pm

I was able to use my HS German on a trip back in '73. It was pretty cool communicating in another language. Of course, everyone I spoke with spoke better English than I did. Use it or lose it.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: How useful is it to know a second language?   How useful is it to know a second language? EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 2:41 pm

I never formally studied another language. Guess I took English classes instead.

I have picked up some Spanish in my travels and living here. I know travel Spanish but not conversant in it.

(Altho, at a Greyhound Station in Alabama they asked of a translator because of some borracho campesino. After the 3rd page I volunteered and was able to communicate whether he had any mas bolsas on the bus that they were kicking him off of.)

There are a lot of jobs in S. FL that require bi-lingual in Spanish/English. It would be nice if I knew the language better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How useful is it to know a second language?   How useful is it to know a second language? Empty

Back to top Go down

How useful is it to know a second language?
Page 1 of 1