Mental illness and family Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mental illness and family

Go down 
+4
Supernova
Nystyle709
Alan Smithee
Chris
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Mental illness and family Empty
PostSubject: Mental illness and family   Mental illness and family EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 8:18 am

To your knowledge, does any mental illness run in your family? If so, have you ever been paranoid about being afflicted by it yourself?

To answer the question myself, I have an uncle who is a paranoid schizophrenic; but even though it's said to be heredity, he's the only one I know of in the family who suffers from it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Mental illness and family   Mental illness and family EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 9:04 am

Yes. My family drives me crazy. I think my mother's brother may have been what is presently diagnosed as bi-polar but I haven't had any contact with him in decades. Worrying about mental illness isn't anything I lose sleep over. I'm more concerned with pancreatic cancer.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Mental illness and family   Mental illness and family EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 9:39 am

Nope. We crazy, but not in the medical sense.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Mental illness and family   Mental illness and family EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 10:06 am

My grandmother, she was never examined for it and never diagnosed, but we're convinced she's Eve, Three Faces, nice Grandma, the helpless baby, and the mean bitch who gives mom 10x more work.
Back to top Go down
Cheaps
Cheaps

Female
Rep : 252

PostSubject: Re: Mental illness and family   Mental illness and family EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 10:09 am

Nystyle709 wrote:
Nope. We crazy, but not in the medical sense.

laughing co-signs
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

PostSubject: Re: Mental illness and family   Mental illness and family EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 11:28 am

Chris wrote:
To your knowledge, does any mental illness run in your family? If so, have you ever been paranoid about being afflicted by it yourself?

To answer the question myself, I have an uncle who is a paranoid schizophrenic; but even though it's said to be heredity, he's the only one I know of in the family who suffers from it.

I also have an uncle and a sister who were -- they both committed suicide when they were still young in my eyes
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Mental illness and family   Mental illness and family EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 11:32 am

My family is nuts but never had any clinical mental illness run in the family.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Mental illness and family   Mental illness and family EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 11:35 am

Not necessarily a "mental illness" my daughter is autistic. It can sure seem like one sometimes, especially in the last month or so. It's not something you develop later in life so nothing I have to worry about personally.
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

PostSubject: Re: Mental illness and family   Mental illness and family EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 11:42 am

CeCe wrote:
Not necessarily a "mental illness" my daughter is autistic. It can sure seem like one sometimes, especially in the last month or so. It's not something you develop later in life so nothing I have to worry about personally.

but is it genetic? IF you chose to have more children, is there a higher percentage that the children would have it than not? Would that percentage make you reconsider having future children?

in my uncles case of schizo. he started hearing voices about 10yrs after vietnam. then got paranoid and talking in word salad. He took a lot of drugs back then. My sis was also a drug addict, and she became increasingly worse over the years.... got the same symptoms my uncle had. My nephews are all fine, so I dont think it carried down, but I have no children-- but if i planned to, i would prepare my self for the odds.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

PostSubject: Re: Mental illness and family   Mental illness and family EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 12:12 pm

wants2laugh wrote:

but is it genetic? IF you chose to have more children, is there a higher percentage that the children would have it than not? Would that percentage make you reconsider having future children?

in my uncles case of schizo. he started hearing voices about 10yrs after vietnam. then got paranoid and talking in word salad. He took a lot of drugs back then. My sis was also a drug addict, and she became increasingly worse over the years.... got the same symptoms my uncle had. My nephews are all fine, so I dont think it carried down, but I have no children-- but if i planned to, i would prepare my self for the odds.

I did encounter a woman online a few years ago who had 5 kids. ALL autistic to various levels. The spectrum is interesting. A child be be diagnosed but have it be barely noticeable. They go to school, hold down a job & live on their own with no issues. Then there's the other side of it where they will need constant care & medication all their life. People tried to blame it on vaccines a while back because of thimerosol. But autism existed long before that. So there's probably a genetic link but as far as I know there's no way to prenatally diagnose the potential.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mental illness and family   Mental illness and family EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 5:50 pm

CeCe wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that CeCe. Is she severely autistic?
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

PostSubject: Re: Mental illness and family   Mental illness and family EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 8:54 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that CeCe. Is she severely autistic?

Thanks Alan big hugz yeah pretty much. She will always need care. She could never be left alone even for a few minutes. She's been fairly manageable for a while until the last couple months where I've had to video her behavior to stay out of jail. She's put massive bruises on herself. Got a psych appointment tomorrow. I imagine we'll be in for another med change. Nothing works for long.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: Mental illness and family   Mental illness and family EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 10:51 pm

You're serious about video taping her?! Damn. I wish there was something I could say to make it all better sad
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

PostSubject: Re: Mental illness and family   Mental illness and family EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 10:59 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:
You're serious about video taping her?! Damn. I wish there was something I could say to make it all better sad

I appreciate that big hugz yes I had to. No one who isn't really familiar with autistic rages would believe someone would self inflict those kinds of bruises.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mental illness and family   Mental illness and family Empty

Back to top Go down

Mental illness and family
Page 1 of 1