CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Forgiveness Man
Chris
6 posters

K-12 online public school

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

K-12 online public school Empty K-12 online public school

Post by Chris Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:19 am

I don't know if you've seen those commercials for K-12's online public school. It talks about kids not doing well in traditional public school, and suggests this program called K-12, where students can go to school online; where they'll still be corresponding with real accredited teachers, and the whole bit. I couldn't find the commercial I saw, but I found this extended video about it.

Would you ever consider enrolling your child in something like this?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

K-12 online public school Empty Re: K-12 online public school

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:17 am

Nah! Why would I? If I am going to essentially homeschool my kid, I am not going to use a public school curriculum. FORGIVENESS MAN That's half the reason to homeschool right there. Razz
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:11 am

No.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:00 pm

Yeah really, this is, from what I've seen it anyway, basically homeschooling BUT they call it public because they can't afford to look odd about it even though the kid does all their school work at home on the computer, that's what HOMESCHOOLED kids are doing these days. 'Real' teachers? What do people think you have in homeschooling? We mailed all our tests in to the school in Maryland and the teachers there, who were 'real' teachers, graded them and sent them back. So I can't see this as being too much different FROM homeschooling.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:35 pm

^^^^Indeed. I remember one of my graders was a difficult guy with a PHd. FORGIVENESS MAN And whether we get lectures in the form of boring verbal monologues or overlong text, I don't much see the difference. FORGIVENESS MAN
    Wadsworth
    Wadsworth
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male
    Rep : 16

Post by Wadsworth Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:12 pm

No my kids would go to regular school like theyre supposed to. Going to school on the computer seems like its lazy to me.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:21 pm

Wadsworth wrote:No my kids would go to regular school like theyre supposed to. Going to school on the computer seems like its lazy to me.

How is GOING to school on the computer though any lazier than actually going to school in person and then doing all the work on the computer there because sabes que 'books are obsolete, this is the future, there are 'better toys' to play with'?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:44 pm

Going to school on the computer isn't any lazier than going to some building to have somebody teach you. Since the curriculum is the same, the idea that computer school is any lazier is baseless.
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Post by femme fatale Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:55 pm

I don't know about this. IMO part of the whole school experience is getting out of the house, and sharpening your interaction skills with authority figures and peers with people outside the family. Maybe going to school online can teach book learning, but it can't teach social interaction.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:05 pm

femme fatale wrote:I don't know about this. IMO part of the whole school experience is getting out of the house, and sharpening your interaction skills with authority figures and peers with people outside the family. Maybe going to school online can teach book learning, but it can't teach social interaction.

Well in all fairness neither can being sat down and shut up in classroom after classroom and if you're caught interacting with another student when the teacher is talking then you get in trouble. And social interaction is especially important at younger ages, correct? But half the elemtentary schools took away recess because they thought it defeated the purpose of learning, so the kids don't have that time to interact with each other either, it's just work work work, study study study, shut up shut up shut up.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 3:36 am