CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
CeCe
Nystyle709
Forgiveness Man
Chris
8 posters

'Teenager Gets Jail Sentence After Seven-Cent Robbery' (video)

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

News 'Teenager Gets Jail Sentence After Seven-Cent Robbery' (video)

Post by Chris Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:23 am

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/08/31/teenager-gets-jail-sentence-after-seven-cent-robbery/?iid=moreonnf

Teenager Gets Jail Sentence After Seven-Cent Robbery
    By: Clara Kim

Robbing a handful of change and lying about it cost a 15-year-old a lifetime as a felon.

With his accomplice Skyler Ninham, Anthony Stewart ran up behind a 73-year-old man last December. Stewart punched the man in the face, while Ninham kicked him on the head. They were holding handguns, which Stewart later admitted were BB guns. The net gain of the crime was mere seven cents.

Stewart was sentenced to two to six years in juvenile detention on first degree robbery charge. After he finishes serving the terms, felony conviction will remain as his permanent record. Stewart's defense lawyer Laurin Haddad requested the boy be treated as a youthful offender, but Onondaga County Judge William Walsh rejected.

A few weeks ago, Ninham had gotten one to four years as a youthful offender after pleading guilty.

"For seven cents, now you're making someone a felon for the rest of his life," Haddad told Syracuse.com.

Well, the judge says the harsh sentencing was not just for the money he robbed but for lying about the crime. Stewart had confessed the crime right after the arrest but tried to fight the case by denying it later. He ineffectively argued that he and Ninham were at a friend's house when the robbery happened when Ninham and the victim identified Stewart as the accomplice.

"If you admitted like a man, then I would have sentenced you exactly as I did Mr. Ninham," the judge told Stewart, according to the Daily News. "But you still denied committing a crime, despite a mountain of evidence."

Stewart's lawyer told the Daily News that he would likely appeal. “It's a shame that this happened over seven cents,” Haddad said
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

News Re: 'Teenager Gets Jail Sentence After Seven-Cent Robbery' (video)

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:14 am

This sounds absurd on the surface but is the amount stolen really much of a factor in the crime? This was assault!
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:06 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:This sounds absurd on the surface but is the amount stolen really much of a factor in the crime? This was assault!

Yep. They stupid.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:20 am

"For seven cents, now you're making someone a felon for the rest of his life," Haddad told Syracuse.com.

uh...no. He a felon for assaulting a man & robbing him. That's a crime. Even if he had gotten nothing, he still committed the assault & there was the intent to rob him. A sentence shouldn't be based on a sliding scale of how little the robber managed to acquire.

Stewart's lawyer told the Daily News that he would likely appeal. “It's a shame that this happened over seven cents,” Haddad said

No again. It didn't "happen" over seven cents. It happened because his client is a thieving little thug wannabe. I got NO sympathy for this kid.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:55 am

I've got to agree, the seven cent thing is just to lure everyone in to read the story because everybody's thinking 'life felon for 7 cents? What the hell?' but yeah this is not about the money, it's about assault and battery of an old man in attempt to rob him. Anybody who does that to old people deserves to be a lifetime felon.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:13 pm

Yeah, how much they got is irrelevant. When I read the title, the first thing I thought was some kid got jail time for stealing a stick of gum or something. Totally different.

"For seven cents, now you're making someone a felon for the rest of his life," Haddad told Syracuse.com

In this case, tough shit.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:19 pm

Supernova wrote:I've got to agree, the seven cent thing is just to lure everyone in to read the story because everybody's thinking 'life felon for 7 cents? What the hell?' but yeah this is not about the money, it's about assault and battery of an old man in attempt to rob him. Anybody who does that to old people deserves to be a lifetime felon.
    Anybody who does that to anybody deserves it. lol It's not like some kid stole some change from somebody's pockets or robbed a corner Santa Clause's bucket. lol This is assault and it shouldn't matter how much money he took.
    Wadsworth
    Wadsworth
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male
    Rep : 16

Post by Wadsworth Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:22 pm

CeCe wrote:

uh...no. He a felon for assaulting a man & robbing him. That's a crime. Even if he had gotten nothing, he still committed the assault & there was the intent to rob him. A sentence shouldn't be based on a sliding scale of how little the robber managed to acquire.

No again. It didn't "happen" over seven cents. It happened because his client is a thieving little thug wannabe. I got NO sympathy for this kid.

co-signs
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Post by femme fatale Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:49 pm

Supernova wrote:I've got to agree, the seven cent thing is just to lure everyone in to read the story because everybody's thinking 'life felon for 7 cents? What the hell?' but yeah this is not about the money, it's about assault and battery of an old man in attempt to rob him. Anybody who does that to old people deserves to be a lifetime felon.

I agree. I'm mad that the "7¢" was even part of the story. That was just a way to sensationalize it. This was really about a little punk kid attacking an old man.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm