CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Michelle Obama inspires Olive Garden and Red Lobster to change their menus.

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

News Michelle Obama inspires Olive Garden and Red Lobster to change their menus.

Post by Chris Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:41 am

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/health&id=8355521

Restaurant chains pledge to cut calories
    Updated at 06:55 AM today

September 15, 2011 (HYATTSVILLE, Md.) -- Calorie by calorie, first lady Michelle Obama is chipping away at big portions and unhealthy food in an effort to help America slim down.

In the two and a half years since she announced her campaign to curb childhood obesity, Mrs. Obama has stood alongside Wal-Mart, Olive Garden and many other food companies as they have announced improvements to their recipes -- fewer calories, less sodium, better children's menus.

The changes are small steps, in most cases. Fried foods and french fries will still be on the menu, though enticing pictures of those foods may be gone. High-sodium soups, which many consumers prefer, will still be on the grocery aisle. But the amount of sodium in each can will gradually decrease in some cases, and the taste of their low-sodium variety will be improved.

On Thursday, the first lady joined Darden Restaurants Inc. executives at one of their Olive Garden restaurants in Hyattsville, Md., near Washington to announce that the company's chains are pledging to cut calories and sodium in their meals by 20 percent over a decade. Fruit or vegetable side dishes and low-fat milk will become standard with kids' meals unless a substitution is requested.

Mrs. Obama said Darden's announcement is a "breakthrough moment" for the industry. The company owns 1,900 restaurants in 49 states, including Olive Garden, Red Lobster, LongHorn Steakhouse, The Capital Grille, Bahama Breeze and Seasons 52.

"I believe the changes that Darden will make could impact the health and well-being of an entire generation of young people," the first lady said.

McDonald's, Burger King and more than a dozen other restaurants have also said this summer that they will revamp childrens' menus. Changing recipes and menu items is good business for the industry because consumers want wider choices -- chefs and food manufacturers say consumers are demanding more healthy food than ever before.

Nutrition advocates and food industry representatives say that the first lady embraced the issue just as consumers began to demand healthier foods and advocates were making headway in getting industry to make foods healthier. They say she has been a key catalyst in getting lawmakers and companies to jump on board.

"There's been more progress on nutrition in the last several years than in the whole previous decade," says Margo Wootan, a leading nutrition advocate and lobbyist with the Center for Science in the Public Interest who has been working on the issue for almost 20 years. "There is a lot of momentum in addressing obesity right now and the first lady adds significant momentum to that movement."

Wootan says Mrs. Obama and her staff have done more than just public appearances, working behind the scenes with industry and Congress to affect change. "She does more than use the bully pulpit," says Wootan.

The landscape has certainly changed for the food industry since President Barack Obama took office and the first lady launched her campaign. In that time, Congress has passed laws to improve school lunches, improve food safety and require calorie labeling in restaurants, all with industry support. The administration has proposed new food marketing rules for children and the food industry has come at least part of the way with their own proposal to limit marketing to kids. Major companies have launched a joint effort to cut calories and put more nutrition information on food labels.

The first lady's effort has had "a dramatic impact on manufacturers, restaurants and retailers," says Scott Faber, a lobbyist for the Grocery Manufacturers Association, which represents all of the major food companies. "Until the first lady launched her initiative there was no one American who was inspiring this generation of kids and parents to do more to have a healthy lifestyle."

Mrs. Obama's participation with Darden Restaurants was her latest appearance with retailers and other private-sector players in support of her anti-obesity campaign. In January, she stood with Wal-Mart, the nation's largest grocer, as it pledged to reformulate thousands of products it sells to make them healthier and to push suppliers to do the same.

This summer, the first lady applauded as Wal-Mart, Walgreens drug stores and several regional grocers committed to help eliminate "food deserts" by opening or expanding in rural and urban areas without easy access to healthy foods, including fresh fruits and vegetables.

One in three U.S. children is overweight or obese, putting them at greater risk of developing diabetes, heart disease or other health conditions. Mrs. Obama has said her goal is to help today's youngsters become adults at a healthy weight by eating better and getting more exercise.

In a speech to the National Restaurant Association one year ago this month, the first lady asked members to "actively promote healthy foods and healthy habits to our kids."

Dawn Sweeney, CEO of the association, said that was an "acceleration point" for many restaurants that were already starting to change their menus.

"Certainly the focus she has put on food and healthy living has been a great boost to create even broader consumer interest," Sweeney said.

(Copyright ©2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

News Re: Michelle Obama inspires Olive Garden and Red Lobster to change their menus.

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:46 pm

All well and good if they make foods healthier. We can always use that, although why they need Mrs. Obama to do it is kinda puzzling. They should be doing it anyway, and still charging the same (or less if the portion sizes shrink).

Side note: For sit-down restaurants, smaller portions might actually cause people like me to eat MORE. Why? Because if I eat half of it, it'll be too small to take home. But if it's this huge thing, I know I can't eat all of it so I can take more than half home and eat it the next day for another meal, splitting my calories. So I say keep the big portions. But yes, make the recipes healthier. big grin
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

News Re: Michelle Obama inspires Olive Garden and Red Lobster to change their menus.

Post by RedBedroom Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:05 am

I understand her plight but it is frustrating as a parent to know that other parents need restaurants to make changes. My son eats healthy at home and at times, he dines at a burger joint. It is my job to keep a balance and make the unhealthy burgers and fries to be a treat.

Our local market pipes down to the entrance the bakery smell. My son will seven times out of ten ask to get a doughnut. Ten times out of ten I say no. Should I expect the market to sell apples in the bakery to make my job as a parent easier? I think not.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:20 am

Okay, but when I go to Red Lobster or Olive Garden it's because I like their food and want to eat there at the time. If I notice that the changes affect the taste of the food then I'm outa' there for good as a patron.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:36 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:All well and good if they make foods healthier. We can always use that, although why they need Mrs. Obama to do it is kinda puzzling. They should be doing it anyway, and still charging the same (or less if the portion sizes shrink).

Side note: For sit-down restaurants, smaller portions might actually cause people like me to eat MORE. Why? Because if I eat half of it, it'll be too small to take home. But if it's this huge thing, I know I can't eat all of it so I can take more than half home and eat it the next day for another meal, splitting my calories. So I say keep the big portions. But yes, make the recipes healthier. big grin

Very good analysis Lil Bro Smile
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:57 am

Tony Marino wrote:

Very good analysis Lil Bro Smile
    We love this restaurant that used to bring out these HUGE portions of veal. We never ate it all. lol They've cut back considerably in the past year or so but they do still bring out pieces bigger than most restaurants. So yeah, I say leave portion sizes big. People can take stuff home. But stuff does need to be healthier. I don't want stuff to be bland but I think less salt can be added to a lot of stuff.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:59 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:We love this restaurant that used to bring out these HUGE portions of veal. We never ate it all. lol They've cut back considerably in the past year or so but they do still bring out pieces bigger than most restaurants. So yeah, I say leave portion sizes big. People can take stuff home. But stuff does need to be healthier. I don't want stuff to be bland but I think less salt can be added to a lot of stuff.

Oh yeah restaurants do pack on the salt. I am not a big salt person, never salt my food only cook with it and thats minimal. High scale restaurants are the worst with giving small portions.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:44 am

Tony Marino wrote:

Oh yeah restaurants do pack on the salt. I am not a big salt person, never salt my food only cook with it and thats minimal. High scale restaurants are the worst with giving small portions.

I don't get it either. Oversalt, IMO, ruins a food. So less salt can be a good thing. Yes, I've been to one of those small portion restaurants. Never went back. FORGIVENESS MAN lol I aint paying all this money for a small portion. lol That's why I liked this one restaurant. Healthy portions and still looks pretty fancy. lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:08 pm