Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access?

Go down 
+3
Cheaps
Supernova
RedBedroom
7 posters
AuthorMessage
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access? Empty
PostSubject: Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access?   Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 1:29 am

Maybe I am just being a dinosaur here, but I think it is a tad presumptuous that a middle school teacher in a large city assume that all of her students have access to Internet each night.

What made me consider this is that my son's pre-Algebra teacher is putting her lessons on a web page for the kids to watch at night to make the next day in the class for them to work on the lesson, with her guidance.

I love the concept and see it working great. But for those kids who do not have Internet at home, I wonder how that would go? Granted this math is optional for 7th graders. It is the higher of the two math classes with the other being an advanced basic math. But when we were told that our kids qualified for pre-algebra, we were not told that they had to have Internet access. I am feeling like the set up may screw over kids who are advanced but do not have Internet at home.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access?   Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 1:47 am

This is a large reason why libraries should not be closed in lieu of other businesses that people don't need, a lot of families still do NOT have internet access and the free library is the only way they can get it.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access?   Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 1:50 am

Well even with library access, not all kids can get there in one night. But I agree that extended assignments that require Internet research make kids having Internet at the local library branch important.
Back to top Go down
Cheaps
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Cheaps

Female
Rep : 252

PostSubject: Re: Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access?   Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 4:11 am

Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access?

I'd hope not, a lot of my nieces/nephews don't have internet access from home.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access?   Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 8:04 am

They shouldn't assume. It does sound like a good idea but I hope they've planned alternatives for the kids who can't get on-line.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access?   Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 11:37 am

Yes and cell phones too!
Back to top Go down
Nhaiyel
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Nhaiyel

Female
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access?   Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 5:44 pm

No, I don't think they should; which is why school libraries should always be up to date on technology and have an attendant there to allow access to students after school hours who need to do their homework.
Back to top Go down
http://www.musicfanclubs.org/aaliyah/
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access?   Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 9:26 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:
No, I don't think they should; which is why school libraries should always be up to date on technology and have an attendant there to allow access to students after school hours who need to do their homework.

Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access? 35166
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access?   Should today's urban middle school teachers assume that all kids have Internet access? Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1