CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Bluesmama
Alan Smithee
Forgiveness Man
Supernova
femme fatale
9 posters

Lady GaGa To President Obama: ‘I Want Gay Bullying To Become A Criminal Offence’

femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Lady GaGa To President Obama: ‘I Want Gay Bullying To Become A Criminal Offence’ Empty Lady GaGa To President Obama: ‘I Want Gay Bullying To Become A Criminal Offence’

Post by femme fatale Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:30 pm

Lady GaGa To President Obama: ‘I Want Gay Bullying To Become A Criminal Offence’

Lady GaGa To President Obama: ‘I Want Gay Bullying To Become A Criminal Offence’ Lady-GaGa-Speaks-Out-Against-Gay-Bullying

Despite debuting on the mainstream music scene just three years ago, Pop belle Lady GaGa has already risen to become an internationally recognized advocate for Gay rights.

Lending her voice to the issues of ‘Don’t Ask Don’t Tell
    and marriage equality, the performer remains outspoken on her stance on
    the way the LGBT community are treated by general society.

So now after another teen suicide brought on as a result of homophobic taunts has occured, Ms.’Judas‘ has revealed what she feels should happen to those responsible for bullying others.

More information below…

Announcing her plans to meet with US President Barack Obama on Twitter, the entertainer explained:

The past days I’ve spent
    reflecting, crying, and yelling. Jamey Rodemeyer, 14 yrs old, took his
    life because of bullying.It is a hate crime.

I am meeting with our President.
    I will not stop fighting. This must end. Our generation has the power
    to end it. Bullying must become illegal.

Both disgusting and horrifying to
    think that bullying still exists, it remains to be seen exactly what
    anyone, let alone a Pop star, can do about it.

Only time will tell if Lady Germanotta’s political voice is as strong as her singing one.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Lady GaGa To President Obama: ‘I Want Gay Bullying To Become A Criminal Offence’ Empty Re: Lady GaGa To President Obama: ‘I Want Gay Bullying To Become A Criminal Offence’

Post by Supernova Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:49 pm

Why should only gay bullying be a crime? It's not like they're the only ones who get bullied, or the only ones who kill themselves as a result of it.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Lady GaGa To President Obama: ‘I Want Gay Bullying To Become A Criminal Offence’ Empty Re: Lady GaGa To President Obama: ‘I Want Gay Bullying To Become A Criminal Offence’

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:23 pm

Supernova wrote:Why should only gay bullying be a crime? It's not like they're the only ones who get bullied, or the only ones who kill themselves as a result of it.
    I agree. Why single out gay bullying? That's blatant discriminatory lawmaking. Lots of people are bullied for a myriad of stupid reasons. All this would do is force people to try to come up with another excuse. It's a stupid idea to just criminalize one type of bullying.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:35 pm

Supernova wrote:Why should only gay bullying be a crime? It's not like they're the only ones who get bullied, or the only ones who kill themselves as a result of it.

I agree. If you're going to make it a crime at all, make it for every bully.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:56 pm

I thought "bullying, Period" was fast becoming acknowledged as a crime. Isn't that enough?

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:04 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:I agree. Why single out gay bullying? That's blatant discriminatory lawmaking. Lots of people are bullied for a myriad of stupid reasons. All this would do is force people to try to come up with another excuse. It's a stupid idea to just criminalize one type of bullying.

ANY kind of bullying should be considered a crime. It just so happens that this one made the news and such a young kid too. Bullying should be dealt with BEFORE anyone has to take their life over it.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:58 am

Tony Marino wrote:ANY kind of bullying should be considered a crime. It just so happens that this one made the news and such a young kid too. Bullying should be dealt with BEFORE anyone has to take their life over it.
    No argument from me. I just have a problem with the idea of making one specific type of bullying a crime. Bullying is wrong, period. We should be targeting ALL bullying but the vibe I get from the media is that you have to be bullied because you are gay for people to give a damn that people are pushing you to the point of suicide. All victims of bullying deserve our protection.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:12 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:I agree. Why single out gay bullying? That's blatant discriminatory lawmaking. Lots of people are bullied for a myriad of stupid reasons. All this would do is force people to try to come up with another excuse. It's a stupid idea to just criminalize one type of bullying.
    And WHO exactly has done this? I would like you or ANYONE ELSE on here to show me in that article (other than in the title of the thread) where Lada Gaga singles out "gay bullying".
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:56 am

The entire anti-bullying campaign is largely focused on just kids bullied because they are gay. (Another thing I am also not convinced is really as widespread as it's made out to be. When it comes to bullying, they will latch onto whatever they can without really thinking or caring what it is. Sexuality, religion, size, perceived intelligence, personality, they don't care what it is as long as they can make fun of you for it. And it seems to me that we're trying to shift the cause of bullying away from what it really is.)

And why other than the title? The title is apparently quoting Gaga, so I feel the title is the perfect example. It's how America, mostly, is today.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:59 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:The entire anti-bullying campaign is largely focused on just kids bullied because they are gay. (Another thing I am also not convinced is really as widespread as it's made out to be. When it comes to bullying, they will latch onto whatever they can without really thinking or caring what it is. Sexuality, religion, size, perceived intelligence, personality, they don't care what it is as long as they can make fun of you for it. And it seems to me that we're trying to shift the cause of bullying away from what it really is.)

And why other than the title? The title is apparently quoting Gaga, so I feel the title is the perfect example. It's how America, mostly, is today.

What do you mean by "size"?????
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:25 am

Tony Marino wrote:What do you mean by "size"?????
    Height and weight basically. Kids are teased for being overweight or being short. (Or heck, maybe even being too skinny or too tall.) And yes, maybe even the reason you were REALLY thinking when you asked that question. Bullies will latch onto whatever feature about you they can. Sometimes they might even pick on you because of what your family does. If it wasn't one reason, it'd be a another.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:59 am

The author of this particular article apparently took it upon himself or herself to insert the word "gay" because it doesn't appear anywhere else I looked.

Lady Gaga Wants To Make Bullying Illegal Following Jamey Rodemeyer's Suicide
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/22/lady-gaga-wants-to-make-bully-illegal_n_975653.html

There are many more but in article after article NOWHERE did GaGa say "gay bullying" only.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:12 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:The entire anti-bullying campaign is largely focused on just kids bullied because they are gay.
    No it isn't. And I've seen no evidence of that at all other than the fact that most of the kids who apparently have committed suicide due to bullying have been gay and targetted specifically because they were gay. Now, if you are perceiving that to be a campaign focusing on just gay kids, then that's the errancy of your perception. I can't speak to that other than to say that you are wrong. I've seen just as many examples of kids who were bullied giving interviews about their experiences and their sexual orientation wasn't discussed. The fact is, many straight kids are also bullied because they are percieved to be gay. So it isn't just gay kids who are being bullied, nor are they the sole focus of the anti-bullying campaign. You can't even demonstrate that via this ONE article. You simply took the title and applied that to ONLY gay kids when there is no evidence that Lada Gaga has singled out gay bullying over any other kind of bullying.

Forgiveness Man wrote:(Another thing I am also not convinced is really as widespread as it's made out to be. When it comes to bullying, they will latch onto whatever they can without really thinking or caring what it is. Sexuality, religion, size, perceived intelligence, personality, they don't care what it is as long as they can make fun of you for it. And it seems to me that we're trying to shift the cause of bullying away from what it really is.)
    It doesn't matter if YOU are convinced of that or not. Lada Gaga and anyone else who IS convinced of that has every right to focus on anti-gay bullying as being a more serious problem than other types of bullying. You don't really have a leg to stand on with this argument because you can't demonstrate that other types of bullying are more prevelant (or even as prevelant) as anti-gay bullying, particularly those that lead to teen suicides (the majority of which in the last few years have involved either gay teenagers or teens perceived as being gay).

So even if Lada Gaga was focusing ONLY on anti-gay bullying (which you cannot demonstrate via this artile) there is absolutely nothing wrong with that because that is her way of getting involved (in some capacity) to stop bullying. Do you really think it is her intention to stop ONLY anti-gay bullying and have other kinds of bullying be "okay", or did you stop to use some common sense? Lada Gaga happens to be an icon in the gay community and the common perception in the gay community (as well as outside the gay community) is that gay youth are targetted for bullying more often and more viciously due to their sexual orientation than for other reasons, and that they have a higher tendency to commit suicide because of it. Furthermore, the fact that other types of bullying can actually handled by schools more directly due to anti-descrimination, sexual harassement policies makes anti-gay bullying much easier to get away with. Most schools have a policy AGAINST discussing sexual orientation at all and have no outreach programs for gay youth. So a kid who's being bullied because they are fat, or because of their religion can go to a guidance counselor, discuss the issue and seek solutions to their problems whereas a gay kid most often cannot. So as far as I'm concerned that makes focusing on anti-gay bullying particularly relevant.

Forgiveness Man wrote:And why other than the title? The title is apparently quoting Gaga, so I feel the title is the perfect example. It's how America, mostly, is today.
    Why other than the title you ask? Simple, because it's apparently NOT a quote from Lady Gaga! Let me explain to you how this actually works. The "title" is written by the author of the story (which in this case is from a blog on a gay website). The "title" of the blog entry is called: "Lady Gaga: I'm Meeting Obama Over Anti-Gay Bullying Suicides". That's NOT a quote from Lady Gaga because if it were it would have to be included in the article itself. Her ACTUAL quote (which is included in the article) is from her three tweets on the subject:

Lady Gaga: I am meeting with our President. I will not stop fighting. This must end. Our generation has the power to end it. Trend it

Lady Gaga: Jamey Rodemeyer, 14 yrs old, took his life because of bullying. Bullying must become illegal. It is a hate crime.

Lady Gaga: The past days I've spent reflecting, crying and yelling. I have so much anger. It is hard to feel love when cruelty takes someone's life.

http://towleroad.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c730253ef0154359b6495970c-pi

Now, AGAIN, I'd like to ask you to show me in her tweets where she utters the word GAY or singles out gay bullying. embarassed

I will add that if anything you could blame the media for skewing it in the direction that may specifically single out anti-gay bullying, but that's not Lady Gaga's fault, nor is it accurate. That is just your perception, because you're biased. cool

Last edited by captainbryce on Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:29 pm

captainbryce wrote:

So even if Lada Gaga was focusing ONLY on anti-gay bullying (which you cannot demonstrate via this artile) there is absolutely nothing wrong with that because that is her way of getting involved (in some capacity) to stop bullying. Do you really think it is her intention to stop ONLY anti-gay bullying and have other kinds of bullying be "okay", or did you stop to use some common sense? Lada Gaga happens to be an icon in the gay community and the common perception in the gay community (as well as outside the gay community) is that gay youth are targetted for bullying more often and more viciously due to their sexual orientation than for other reasons, and that they have a higher tendency to commit suicide because of it. Furthermore, the fact that other types of bullying can actually handled by schools more directly due to anti-descrimination, sexual harassement policies makes anti-gay bullying much easier to get away with. Most schools have a policy AGAINST discussing sexual orientation at all and have no outreach programs for gay youth. So a kid who's being bullied because they are fat, or because of their religion can go to a guidance counselor, discuss the issue and seek solutions to their problems whereas a gay kid most often cannot. So as far as I'm concerned that makes focusing on anti-gay bullying particularly relevant.

Tell it, CaptainBryce! RIGHT ON!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:07 am