CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Supernova
Shale
ph balanced
CeCe
Bluesmama
RedBedroom
10 posters

'Tis the season....of kids selling shit to benefit their schools

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

'Tis the season....of kids selling shit to benefit their schools Empty 'Tis the season....of kids selling shit to benefit their schools

Post by RedBedroom Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:27 pm

I despise being asked by a kid to buy something they are selling to raise money for the school. These fundraising companies take so much of the profit that it is better to skip that $7 roll of wrapping paper or $15 box of seven chocolates and directly donate a five to the school.

I NEVER had my son sell that stuff. It is such a scam.

My neighbor girl sells $11 loaves of bread for her montessori school. This year they raised it to $12 and I am obligated to buy as that family pays my son to mow their lawn.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

'Tis the season....of kids selling shit to benefit their schools Empty Re: 'Tis the season....of kids selling shit to benefit their schools

Post by Bluesmama Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:05 am

Well, I don't like it door-to-door, not even from neighbors. But I don't mind it when a parent at work sells it. What he or she does is post a sign in the breakroom with the sign-up sheet, and that way people can peruse and sign up if they want to. They usually sell a fair amount that way.

I ordered a roll of bright wrapping paper ~ it's a little better quality than most of the ones in stores.

Now, when my daughter was in school I absolutely HATED it when she brought home fund-raisers. And the weirdest one was PIZZA! And I remember wondering who in Hell was going to buy pizza for a school??? But I took it to work, anyway, and it still surprises me how many co-workers bought them. She had the 2nd highest sales count. Weird, weird. Pizzas were a bit small but quite fresh.

This was never done when I was in school.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

'Tis the season....of kids selling shit to benefit their schools Empty Re: 'Tis the season....of kids selling shit to benefit their schools

Post by RedBedroom Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:11 am

Bluesmama wrote:Well, I don't like it door-to-door, not even from neighbors. But I don't mind it when a parent at work sells it. What he or she does is post a sign in the breakroom with the sign-up sheet, and that way people can peruse and sign up if they want to. They usually sell a fair amount that way.

I ordered a roll of bright wrapping paper ~ it's a little better quality than most of the ones in stores.

Now, when my daughter was in school I absolutely HATED it when she brought home fund-raisers. And the weirdest one was PIZZA! And I remember wondering who in Hell was going to buy pizza for a school??? But I took it to work, anyway, and it still surprises me how many co-workers bought them. She had the 2nd highest sales count. Weird, weird. Pizzas were a bit small but quite fresh.

This was never done when I was in school.

Funny you mention pizzas. That was the one and only thing I ever considered my son being part of. A local pizza company was selecting a few local motocross racers to sell pizza to fund-raise for national races. I just couldn't bring myself to let my son do it, but the mark up wasn't that bad. Our friend's son did it and it went over very well for them.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:18 am

Had some kids come by not too long ago with the $1 candy bars so I got a few. But I really don't do the wrapping paper or the magazine subscriptions.
    ph balanced
    ph balanced
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by ph balanced Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:32 am

My stepson can't sell candy bars at his school anymore.........or any food product that may have come into contact with peanuts because of one student. One teacher has gone so far as to dig in students' backpacks and confiscate lunches on the SUSPICION the lunch contains peanuts or has come into contact with them. Now I long for the days of the school candy fundraiser.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:37 am

ph balanced wrote:My stepson can't sell candy bars at his school anymore.........or any food product that may have come into contact with peanuts because of one student. One teacher has gone so far as to dig in students' backpacks and confiscate lunches on the SUSPICION the lunch contains peanuts or has come into contact with them. Now I long for the days of the school candy fundraiser.

It's probably over-kill, but I feel so bad for those parents who have to worry about peanut-allergic kids. All precautions are well worth it.
    ph balanced
    ph balanced
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female

Post by ph balanced Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:42 am

RedBedroom wrote:
    It's probably over-kill, but I feel so bad for those parents who have to worry about peanut-allergic kids. All precautions are well worth it.

I had a childhood allergy to tomatoes; it was either carry Epipen everywhere or blow up everytime I had fast food. The choice was obvious, although when I was a kid Epipen was fresh. The needles were HUGE!!!!
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:44 am

ph balanced wrote:

I had a childhood allergy to tomatoes; it was either carry Epipen everywhere or blow up everytime I had fast food. The choice was obvious, although when I was a kid Epipen was fresh. The needles were HUGE!!!!

Wow that had to suck.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:52 am

CeCe wrote:Had some kids come by not too long ago with the $1 candy bars so I got a few. But I really don't do the wrapping paper or the magazine subscriptions.

co-signs

Yes, I am a sucker for chocolate.
    ph balanced
    ph balanced
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female

Post by ph balanced Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:54 am

RedBedroom wrote:
    Wow that had to suck.

It could've been worse. Besides, once I started getting curves I had bigger worries. Like dudes
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:19 am

We don't have a lot of that around here, like every other year they sell like frozen cookie dough or cheese dips or something.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:36 am

The part I truly hate is when they're stationed outside of store entrances and they pounce on you on your way in and out of the store, pan-handling for a donation to pay for their cheerleading uniform or something.

I've started politely saying "No, I'm sorry I can't contribute, but I have my own child's activities to fund."

That usually shuts them and their parents up, or if I don't feel like being a semi-asshole, I'll tell them I'll give on the way out, then exit through the other door and tell that group that I already gave on the way in at the other door.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:03 am

Depending on the kid and the parent of the kid.....I might buy something. People bring those things to my job all the time. If I don't like you, I ain't buying shit from your kid.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:40 am

I get hit every year from my nieces and nephews
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:52 am

If I have the money and see something I like, I may buy. If not, then I don't.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 5:33 am