Man releases 56 wild, exotic animals in ohio and then kills himself  Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Man releases 56 wild, exotic animals in ohio and then kills himself

Go down 
+2
Alan Smithee
Tony Marino
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

Man releases 56 wild, exotic animals in ohio and then kills himself  Empty
PostSubject: Man releases 56 wild, exotic animals in ohio and then kills himself    Man releases 56 wild, exotic animals in ohio and then kills himself  EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Authorities said they killed 49 exotic animals released by a Zanesville, Ohio, man who committed suicide.

By midafternoon, only one of the 56 animals released by Terry Thompson -- a monkey -- still was at large, Muskingun County Sheriff Matt Lutz said.

Of the animals killed 18 were endangered Bengal tigers. Among the other dead were an African lion, a mountain lion and a bear that had charged sheriff's deputies, the Zanesville Recorder reported. Six animals were taken to a zoo.

Lutz confirmed Thompson, who operated the 40-acre Muskingum County Animal Farm, committed suicide but he told a 10 a.m. news conference deputies "haven't found a suicide note at this point."

Thompson's body was found Tuesday night.

"We're still not in a 100 percent secure area," Lutz told a news conference.

He said several large cats were found about 400-500 yards from the reserve in several directions.

"We just had a huge tiger, an adult tiger that must've weighed 300 pounds that was very aggressive," the Los Angeles Times quoted Lutz as saying. "We got a tranquilizer in it, and this thing just went crazy.

"We are not talking about your normal everyday housecat or dog. These are 300-pound Bengal tigers that we had to put down. I gave the order ... that if animals looked like they were on their way out, they were put down.

"Public safety is our No. 1 concern," he said.

Lutz said one individual tried to steal one of the animals Tuesday night, but officials recovered the animal and have taken the person into custody.

Flashing signs along the highway near the preserve warned drivers of the escaped animals. Schools in the area were closed Wednesday morning and residents were advised to stay indoors.

Thompson recently was released from prison after serving a year on a federal weapons conviction. Lutz said he had a permit for the animals he kept and the operation was legal.

Police sought advice from the Columbus Zoo on dealing with the remaining animals.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/...#ixzz1bGNrIhgv
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Man releases 56 wild, exotic animals in ohio and then kills himself    Man releases 56 wild, exotic animals in ohio and then kills himself  EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 1:39 pm

I have more sympathy for the animals they put down.
Back to top Go down
jennab85
…is an Up 'N Comer.
…is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
Rep : 2

PostSubject: Re: Man releases 56 wild, exotic animals in ohio and then kills himself    Man releases 56 wild, exotic animals in ohio and then kills himself  EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 2:07 pm

This whole story was pretty sad. I hope the laws get changed in Ohio. I agree law enforcement and others had to protect the public and were in the right to kill the animals. I feel for the animals, they shouldn't have kept by an owner like that.

This story will probably end up featured on Animal Planet's Fatal Attractions.
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female
Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: Man releases 56 wild, exotic animals in ohio and then kills himself    Man releases 56 wild, exotic animals in ohio and then kills himself  EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 2:38 pm

I wonder how conclusive is the suicide determination? Because I can't help wondering if some crazy animal activist group is responsible? (Though I really doubt it.)
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Man releases 56 wild, exotic animals in ohio and then kills himself    Man releases 56 wild, exotic animals in ohio and then kills himself  EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Damn. They did what they had to do, but I still don't like it. Some of those animals were extremely rare and close to being extinct.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Man releases 56 wild, exotic animals in ohio and then kills himself    Man releases 56 wild, exotic animals in ohio and then kills himself  EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 1:36 am

Terrible situation all around.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Man releases 56 wild, exotic animals in ohio and then kills himself    Man releases 56 wild, exotic animals in ohio and then kills himself  EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 8:57 am

There are some still on the loose!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Man releases 56 wild, exotic animals in ohio and then kills himself    Man releases 56 wild, exotic animals in ohio and then kills himself  Empty

Back to top Go down

Man releases 56 wild, exotic animals in ohio and then kills himself
Page 1 of 1