CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Shale
Nystyle709
Bluesmama
Jason B.
wants2laugh
Chris
10 posters

'Breastfeeding at Target: Moms Stage National Demonstration' (video)

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

'Breastfeeding at Target: Moms Stage National Demonstration' (video) Empty 'Breastfeeding at Target: Moms Stage National Demonstration' (video)

Post by Chris Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:04 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2011/12/breastfeeding-at-target-moms-stage-national-demonstration/

Breastfeeding at Target: Moms Stage National Demonstration

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

A nursing mother’s upsetting experience at her local Target last month has led to “nurse-in” demonstrations at Target stores nationwide.

Mothers from across the country have posted pictures of themselves nursing at Target stores — from Maryland to Minnesota — to a Facebook page used to organize the event. (A Target spokeswoman has confirmed that nursing mothers showed up at Target stores today but said the chain was still gathering information on the scale of the demonstrations.)

“I never knew that sitting in a Target and doing what’s normal — which is feeding my baby — would result in all of this one day but I’m glad it did, ” Michelle Hickman, the woman who inspired the event, told ABCNews.com.

Last month at a Webster, Texas Target store, Hickman began nursing her fussy, hungry infant son in the store’s women’s clothing section. Hickman, 35, said that eight Target employees eventually surrounded her and two asked her to move to a fitting room to finish nursing. The other employees, she said, rolled their eyes at her and gave her dirty looks.

Hickman said she tried explaining that Texas law allowed her to breastfeed in public, but the employees wouldn’t listen. Hickman said she later called Target’s corporate offices but was disatisfied with their response. She said the retailer has yet to apologize to her directly.

In a statement to ABCNews.com, Target said that it supports the use of fitting rooms for breastfeeding — even if other customers are waiting to use the rooms — but also that “(g)uests who choose to breastfeed in public areas of the store are welcome to do so without being made to feel uncomfortable.”

“We continually educate our team members in stores across the country on store policies to ensure all guests have a great experience. Target has been in touch with the store to ensure all team members are aware of our breastfeeding policy. Target is proud to support all mothers who breastfeed year-round, including today,” the retailer said.

Hickman, who is calling for a national law to protect women’s rights to breastfeed in public, said the nationwide demonstration was organized by fellow moms with whom she shared her experience. Her story was also publicized by the pro-breastfeeding group, Best for Babes, which later contacted Target about the incident. (The response the group said it received from Target is posted here.)

Hickman participated at a nurse-in this morning at the same Target store where the November incident took place. She was joined by an estimated 50 other mothers.

“It felt great, it’s nice to see us all just coming together,” said Kelly Roth, 29, of Lake City, Texas, one of the organizers. “We shouldn’t have to sit at home or in a bathroom to (nurse.) Babies shouldn’t have to wait.”

A nurse-in took place at Whole Foods supermarket stores last summer after a Utah mother complained of how employees treated her while she was nursing. Whole Foods later issued an apology and praised the nurse-in.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

'Breastfeeding at Target: Moms Stage National Demonstration' (video) Empty Re: 'Breastfeeding at Target: Moms Stage National Demonstration' (video)

Post by wants2laugh Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:36 pm

i think breast feeding in public is disgusting. Do it in a restroom or fitting room. But don't pop your ninnie out where kids are around. I completely do not understand the thinking of these women---and my sister is one of them.

we had a thread here about whether nude art was acceptable for children---so my question is how is nude art harmful or unacceptable for children, but a live woman exposing herself NOT?

Its natural, yes. But in our society where it is necessary to be covered, the rule norm should not be pushed aside because a woman does not want to pump. What is the difference between that and a man pulling out his penis in a park and urinating??? Men get arrested for that---but that is natural! So a kid seeing a man's penis is a crime, but seeing a woman's breast is a natural part of life--- Bullshit
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

'Breastfeeding at Target: Moms Stage National Demonstration' (video) Empty Re: 'Breastfeeding at Target: Moms Stage National Demonstration' (video)

Post by Jason B. Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:02 pm

A breast feeding demonstration is obnoxious IMO. There's a more reasonable way to make your point.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:48 pm

wants2laugh wrote:i think breast feeding in public is disgusting. Do it in a restroom or fitting room. But don't pop your ninnie out where kids are around. I completely do not understand the thinking of these women---and my sister is one of them.

we had a thread here about whether nude art was acceptable for children---so my question is how is nude art harmful or unacceptable for children, but a live woman exposing herself NOT?

Its natural, yes. But in our society where it is necessary to be covered, the rule norm should not be pushed aside because a woman does not want to pump. What is the difference between that and a man pulling out his penis in a park and urinating??? Men get arrested for that---but that is natural! So a kid seeing a man's penis is a crime, but seeing a woman's breast is a natural part of life--- 'Breastfeeding at Target: Moms Stage National Demonstration' (video) 109160

Good post. 'Breastfeeding at Target: Moms Stage National Demonstration' (video) 35166 And there's no damn excuse for not using pumps.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:51 pm

I guess.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:25 pm

wants2laugh wrote:i think breast feeding in public is disgusting. Do it in a restroom or fitting room. But don't pop your ninnie out where kids are around. I completely do not understand the thinking of these women---and my sister is one of them.

Its natural, yes. But in our society where it is necessary to be covered, the rule norm should not be pushed aside because a woman does not want to pump. What is the difference between that and a man pulling out his penis in a park and urinating??? Men get arrested for that---but that is natural! So a kid seeing a man's penis is a crime, but seeing a woman's breast is a natural part of life--- Bullshit

OMG!!

Am I going to be the lone pariah here again?

I can't believe all the negative, parochial responses from women on this board.

I think eating dead cows is disgusting, so everyone should take their hamburger into a restroom and eat it.

Now I grew up in one of the most sex-negative puritanical ages of our nation, yet I got over it with all the other counter-culture ppl of my generation. But, before my gen, in my parent's time, breast feeding was common. (Gerber put an end to that - why give your baby the best food it needs for free when you can pay money for a substitute).

Here is an example of the attitude on breast feeding in 1936
    'Breastfeeding at Target: Moms Stage National Demonstration' (video) 6596867371_aab6d4b28a_z

Sounds like Texas has a similar law to that in Florida which says you CANNOT harass a mother breastfeeding her baby - no matter what your backward beliefs might be or no matter what some local anti-nudity law might say.

Sheese. We used to see earth mothers breastfeeding back in the '60s and '70s. Of course it was like all the other defiances we did, and there was enuf of us supporters to push eventual protective laws for this natural act.

I always found it a shame that we needed a law to protect a mother from feeding her child without having to fight the prudes among us - but apparently that is what needs to be done. I am going to go for a federal law. Apparently it is not just the backward bible-belt southern states that need to come into the 21st Century.

Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:46 pm

The right to breastfeed in "public" is not a trump all one. Stores have a right to ask you to not do it in public. If they are offering you a dressing room, then it's considerate to take it. You can't go imposing your desire to whip it out on everybody else. "It's natural" is a piss poor excuse.

Now, I don't intrinsically have a problem with it. If the store is fine with it and the people are fine with it, okay. But if there's a problem with it and the store asks you to take it to a dressing room, then take it to a dressing room. A big nationwide protest just makes you look pushy.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:13 pm

blank stare @ you Seriously?!

If I was the manager of that Target, I would have called the fuzz on them ornery broads. It's your right as women to nurse your babies in the back of the wagon....
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:36 pm

I think most women are tasteful when they nurse in public. While I never could do it, I have to say I suspect I made people in dressing rooms and public bathrooms more uncomfortable by sitting in there with my nursing baby who would fuss in conjunction with latching on than I would have walking through the store covered while he nursed.

But I do take issue with these types of sit-ins. Like it or not, that is loitering. They wouldn't let a string of homeless people warm up inside Target why should non-shopping moms get to do it just because they are proving a point?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:19 am

RedBedroom wrote:...But I do take issue with these types of sit-ins. Like it or not, that is loitering. They wouldn't let a string of homeless people warm up inside Target why should non-shopping moms get to do it just because they are proving a point?

I think the point is, Target is doing damage control by placating them and trying to prove that they have educated their staff to abide by the Texas law. IDK what that law is but it was mentioned in the story.

"Hickman said she tried explaining that Texas law allowed her to breastfeed in public, but the employees wouldn’t listen. Hickman said she later called Target’s corporate offices but was disatisfied with their response. She said the retailer has yet to apologize to her directly.

In a statement to ABCNews.com, Target said that it supports the use of fitting rooms for breastfeeding — even if other customers are waiting to use the rooms — but also that “(g)uests who choose to breastfeed in public areas of the store are welcome to do so without being made to feel uncomfortable."

In Florida the law is very specific that you do not harass a nursing mother. And, when OPINIONATED semi-officials of a commercial business violate the law and the public sentiment (Which apparently is different than the sentiment on this forum board) you will be targeted for reprisal. Whenever one of these things happen, corporate starts crawfishing out of it as fast as they can. I think it happened here at a Burger King - and the reprisal was a threatened lawsuit.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:12 am

well... IMO some of these women just go overboard. My sister used to belong to a group of nursing women and they called themselves "The Mommy Milktrucks". They encouraged to nurse children way into the toddler stage! At four years old, my niece was still breastfeeding and would get out of bed, walk to her parents room and in the middle of the night would undress my sister's shirt and start sucking. I thought she was crazy until she showed me proof that "being weaned" was actually a requirement to start kindergarten. REALLY? 5 yrs old and still sucking?

These Mommy Milktrucks would feed their kids at McD's playlands and parks. The kids would run around on the jungle gym and then run back to come suck a ninnie---- so where does it end?

For the comfort of others, we in society limit ourselves. For the comfort/health of non-smokers, there are no public bars/restaurants that allow it. We watch what we say to be politically correct so as not to offend. So what if i am being prudish on this topic---im offended by it. And there is a law who encourages people to offend me.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Bluesmama Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:46 am

Am I going to be the lone pariah here again?

I can't believe all the negative, parochial responses from women on this board.

I think eating dead cows is disgusting, so everyone should take their hamburger into a restroom and eat it.

Now I grew up in one of the most sex-negative puritanical ages of our nation, yet I got over it with all the other counter-culture ppl of my generation. But, before my gen, in my parent's time, breast feeding was common. (Gerber put an end to that - why give your baby the best food it needs for free when you can pay money for a substitute).

Here is an example of the attitude on breast feeding in 1936
    'Breastfeeding at Target: Moms Stage National Demonstration' (video) 6596867371_aab6d4b28a_z

But there is something significant about the time periods you're referring to. There were breast pumps prior to your time but I don't think they were commonly used for whatever reason. And this photo makes me think it was a poor migrant depression mom, possibly on the road going West, with no other options. She's sitting alongside the road ~ who cares? All she wanted was to reach their destination.

Then the movie industry of the 50's made breasts very popular and changed women's appeal forever. In the US breasts are sexual tools before becoming milk suppliers. They are sexual tools in people's eyes before they're even touched! So, yes, that alone changes the climate of public breast-feeding here. I have observed people, usually men, glue their eyes to nursing moms hoping for peeks. I don't see it changing anytime soon.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Bluesmama Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:50 am

wants2laugh wrote:well... IMO some of these women just go overboard. My sister used to belong to a group of nursing women and they called themselves "The Mommy Milktrucks". They encouraged to nurse children way into the toddler stage! At four years old, my niece was still breastfeeding and would get out of bed, walk to her parents room and in the middle of the night would undress my sister's shirt and start sucking. I thought she was crazy until she showed me proof that "being weaned" was actually a requirement to start kindergarten. REALLY? 5 yrs old and still sucking?

This reminds me of a hippie family I knew in ~ of all places ~ Texas, back in the 70's. They were poor as church mice. She nursed her baby anywhere. But I'll never forget the day she sat in the restaurant (where she worked but she off that day), and I watched her 9-year-old pull out a boob and enjoy it as a pacifier for a minute or two. I learned that she let him do it whenever he wanted to. WTF?
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:52 am

the kid in that picture is too old to be breastfeeding anyway... look at him looking right at the camera!
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:45 am

Shale wrote:

I think the point is, Target is doing damage control by placating them and trying to prove that they have educated their staff to abide by the Texas law. IDK what that law is but it was mentioned in the story.

"Hickman said she tried explaining that Texas law allowed her to breastfeed in public, but the employees wouldn’t listen. Hickman said she later called Target’s corporate offices but was dissatisfied with their response. She said the retailer has yet to apologize to her directly.

In a statement to ABCNews.com, Target said that it supports the use of fitting rooms for breastfeeding — even if other customers are waiting to use the rooms — but also that “(g)uests who choose to breastfeed in public areas of the store are welcome to do so without being made to feel uncomfortable."

In Florida the law is very specific that you do not harass a nursing mother. And, when OPINIONATED semi-officials of a commercial business violate the law and the public sentiment (Which apparently is different than the sentiment on this forum board) you will be targeted for reprisal. Whenever one of these things happen, corporate starts crawfishing out of it as fast as they can. I think it happened here at a Burger King - and the reprisal was a threatened lawsuit.

I happen to be someone who will not support a sit-in unless it is in a publicly common area. All those idiot Scott Walker protesters in Madison, WI sleeping in the capitol for weeks made me ill. The city facilities, including the capitol, were made to accommodate protesters because it was P.C., but homeless spent the night in the streets. That is bull to me.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:36 am

RedBedroom wrote: I happen to be someone who will not support a sit-in unless it is in a publicly common area. All those idiot Scott Walker protesters in Madison, WI sleeping in the capitol for weeks made me ill. The city facilities, including the capitol, were made to accommodate protesters because it was P.C., but homeless spent the night in the streets. That is bull to me.

"THIS IS THE AUTHORITIES SPEAKING - ALL PROTESTORS WILL NOW GO TO THE OFFICIAL PROTESTING SITE, WHERE THEY WILL BE OUT OF SIGHT AND INEFFECTIVE."

They try to move ppl peaceably assembling to redress their grievances so no one can see them. We now have martyrs to that effort and it is now going into the courts because of the overreaction of the pigs. (Yes, I am a supporter of the worldwide Occupy Movement)
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=744025479&sk=photos#!/media/set/?set=a.10150354808325480.369732.744025479&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=744025479&sk=photos#!/media/set/?set=a.10150419473305480.380594.744025479&type=1
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:54 am

Just a few points:

wants2laugh wrote:...For the comfort of others, we in society limit ourselves. For the comfort/health of non-smokers, there are no public bars/restaurants that allow it.
    First off, smokers did not limit themselves. The 75% majority of non-smokers made laws protecting everyone's health in public places.
    wants2laugh wrote:...We watch what we say to be politically correct so as not to offend...

Bullshit! I quite often refuse to call a Spade a Shovel. If the truth hurts someone, then it is their problem for living in a dishonest fantasy. I hate political correctness and the hypocrisy it represents. Tell-it-like-it-is a carryover from the Hippie days still motivates many of us.

wants2laugh wrote:...So what if i am being prudish on this topic---im offended by it. And there is a law who encourages people to offend me.

Well, as we nudists tell ppl who are offended by the natural human body - "look away, divert your eyes."

It is not a new problem.

"No man lives without jostling and being jostled; in all ways he has to elbow himself through the world, giving and receiving offence."
    Thomas Carlyle – 1838

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:32 pm

Bluesmama wrote: But there is something significant about the time periods you're referring to. There were breast pumps prior to your time but I don't think they were commonly used for whatever reason.
    Actually, in my time I remember the 'ice box' where a block of ice took the place of refrigeration. Breast pumps and milk storage require refrigeration and it was likely just more convenient in those agrarian times to let a baby suck, like all other mammals do.

Bluesmama wrote: And this photo makes me think it was a poor migrant depression mom, possibly on the road going West, with no other options. She's sitting alongside the road ~ who cares? All she wanted was to reach their destination.

The entire caption with this foto, which is from the National Archives is:

"Dorothea Lange Drought refugees from Oklahoma camping by the roadside Blythe California 1936"

But it wasn't just the Depression and the Dust Bowl that had mothers reduced to feeding their children from themselves. There is a humorous family story that my grandmother told me about a black nanny taking care of some of my young relatives back in the '30s. The nanny had a kid who still nursed and when the family came back there was the nanny - black kid on one tit and my white relative on the other. (humorous only in the silly apartheid of the day in Mississippi. I understand that there were black 'wet nurses' who fed white babies in the old days)

Also, it is pretty much the US that has a problem with mothers nursing. It is commonly seen in other countries in Europe and nursing for 5 years is not that unusual.

Bluesmama wrote:Then the movie industry of the 50's made breasts very popular and changed women's appeal forever. In the US breasts are sexual tools before becoming milk suppliers. They are sexual tools in people's eyes before they're even touched! So, yes, that alone changes the climate of public breast-feeding here. I have observed people, usually men, glue their eyes to nursing moms hoping for peeks. I don't see it changing anytime soon.

That notwithstanding, one person's opinion of a sexualized body part does not make it right to discriminate against showing that part. It is like everyone must wear shoes because pervs like me enjoy looking at pretty feet. Blue Cool

This begs another question. Just why are women's breasts forced to be hidden by law in most places? Actually, those laws are unconstitutional - it has been established women and men have equal rights. They challenged the law in New York and now it is legal for women to go top free any place a man can. The law is being challenged here in Florida but has not gone anywhere like it did in Rochester NY. Even tho nudists support this Topfree Equal Rights, it is not a nudist issue but one of equality.

http://www.tera.ca/

'Breastfeeding at Target: Moms Stage National Demonstration' (video) Bare_b10
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:05 pm

But would you like eating in a bathroom? That's disgusting to me. Most women can breastfeed their babies with out showing anything anyway. The difference between a man putting out his penis and a woman feeding her infant is huge, she's not using her boob to pee nor is her boob a sexual appendage. Men made them sexual but the purpose of those lumps on a woman's chest is to feed babies. Now disgusting and comparable to your pull out the ole penis would be if the woman was standing on her head in a skirt with no underwear.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:06 pm

wants2laugh wrote:the kid in that picture is too old to be breastfeeding anyway... look at him looking right at the camera!

'Breastfeeding at Target: Moms Stage National Demonstration' (video) 954338

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:22 am