CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Cheaps
Supernova
Bluesmama
wants2laugh
8 posters

Gardening

wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Gardening Empty Gardening

Post by wants2laugh Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:19 am

Do you enjoy gardening?

Nothing would grow in my yard, not flowers or even a nice coat of grass.

One year I bought a single lily and planted it. Every year it comes back with more and more flowers. But other than that... i even killed a cactus! lol

what do you plant? and can you keep a lawn green?
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Gardening Empty Re: Gardening

Post by Bluesmama Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:30 am

I am a gardener. I tend to the flower garden while he takes care of the lawn. Some years he grows vegetables, but our gardens don't get full sun. In a short summer the veggies are a disappointment.

I have all kinds of plants: A few hardy fuschias, dahlias, black-eyed susans, 6 rose bushes, crocosmias, plumbagos, lilies (Nile lilies, Oriental lilies, Stargazers and Casablancas), sedum, Chinese lanterns, a Bella Donna lily, lavendar, cannas, and more. In pots I have a palm tree, bamboo (not doing well at all), euphorbias, a white fuschia, and a hardy begonia. Inside the house I have a spider plant (goes outside in the summer), Mandevilla (goes outside in the summer), a couple of Orchids (hope they survive), and a Jade plant (also goes outside in the summer).

I do get lots of oohs and aahs, but I'm not nearly the garden worker that I used to be.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:31 am

My mom LOVES to garden, I used to when I was a kid but I don't anymore, but I still have to help with it all. We have a vegetable garden in the back which is very large and is murder to work in after it rains, and then we have a bunch of flowers in front.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:46 am

Don't do gardening at all.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:57 pm

Uh...no. Nystyle doesn't 'garden'.
    zthatzmanz28
    zthatzmanz28
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male
    Rep : 13

Post by zthatzmanz28 Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:07 am

I seriously miss my Irises. NOTHING grows here in North CArolina. It is either all red clay or yellow sand. I would love to have a few dahlias and purple cone flowers as well!!
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Bluesmama Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:22 am

zthatzmanz28 wrote:I seriously miss my Irises. NOTHING grows here in North CArolina. It is either all red clay or yellow sand. I would love to have a few dahlias and purple cone flowers as well!!

I forgot to mention the Irises in mine. Bunch of them. Too many. But they're about the only color in my beds in mid-spring except for the roses. Have you tried Irises where you live? I have pretty hard soil, too, and they suffice.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:48 am

I hate gardening thats why I have a gardener to keep the grass growing. I have lots of flowers in front of the house during the summer, they are all artificial and no one ever guesses that they are!!
    zthatzmanz28
    zthatzmanz28
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male

Post by zthatzmanz28 Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:05 am

Bluesmama wrote:

I forgot to mention the Irises in mine. Bunch of them. Too many. But they're about the only color in my beds in mid-spring except for the roses. Have you tried Irises where you live? I have pretty hard soil, too, and they suffice.

The natural soil is too acidic from the numerous pine trees here. I have planing the irises in a 5 gallon bucket but they still haven't bloomed, what's up with that?
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Bluesmama Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:28 pm

zthatzmanz28 wrote:

The natural soil is too acidic from the numerous pine trees here. I have planing the irises in a 5 gallon bucket but they still haven't bloomed, what's up with that?

You have the bulbs just under the surface, right? If they're buried deeper, lift them up. Mine even inched above the soil line in time and it doesn't appear to hurt them.

I have weird experiences with gardening. I can kill something that should thrive where it's at, and other plants that come back when they shouldn't, or unwanteds that I can't manage to kill no matter what.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:00 pm

Plants run when they see me. If those perennials out front don't come back in the spring it will be because they managed to make a secret getaway in the fall.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:36 pm

CeCe wrote:Plants run when they see me. If those perennials out front don't come back in the spring it will be because they managed to make a secret getaway in the fall.

LMAO! LMAO!
    zthatzmanz28
    zthatzmanz28
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male

Post by zthatzmanz28 Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:43 pm

Bluesmama wrote:You have the bulbs just under the surface, right? If they're buried deeper, lift them up. Mine even inched above the soil line in time and it doesn't appear to hurt them.

I have weird experiences with gardening. I can kill something that should thrive where it's at, and other plants that come back when they shouldn't, or unwanteds that I can't manage to kill no matter what.

Down here it's either too much water or not enough. I am starting to think that the blazing sun has something to do with the plants' cycle as well. We cannot grow tomatoes until late August early September otherwise they get torchd in the sun / heat / humidity. UGH.....
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Bluesmama Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:58 pm

Do you live on the coastline? If so, look into a Pride of Madeira plant (if you can find it). Gorgeous majestic blooms in mid-to-late spring but they do best in California coastal areas. I've grown a couple but they didn't bloom because of the lousy springs here (and they're not hardy in cold). It might not grow where you're at because of the winter.

Bummer.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:32 am