CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Chris
Supernova
RedBedroom
7 posters

Are people only as good as the company they keep?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Are people only as good as the company they keep? Empty Are people only as good as the company they keep?

Post by RedBedroom Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:05 pm

The prostitute thread led me to wondering what you all think.

Since I am a parent and older now, I do believe it to be true. People are only as good as the company they keep. There are always exceptions of course. In the case of family, one doesn't always have a choice.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Are people only as good as the company they keep? Empty Re: Are people only as good as the company they keep?

Post by Supernova Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:17 pm

I think it depends. My mother has kept some pretty bad company in her life with a few friends, but they're all people she tries to help and you can't fault a person for that. She believes in not giving up on people...to a point, but it takes a long time to get to that point.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Are people only as good as the company they keep? Empty Re: Are people only as good as the company they keep?

Post by Chris Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:38 pm

I admit that I am often tempted to judge people by the company they keep. If someone is totally abhorrent in character or has loathsome views, I have a hard time understanding how a decent person can tolerate it.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:46 am

Okay, this was clear back in the 70's when I lived in Austin, Texas. Since I didn't hate blacks and didn't hate gays, I happened to have a male friend who was BOTH, and Lordy, were people judgemental towards me for it! And, to make it worse, I was from ~ gasp! ~ CALIFORNIA! So I didn't stand a chance. And was all that biasness towards me warranted? Nope!

But there are certain kinds of people that I refuse to allow into my life. I do not want to be associated with them.
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:45 am

In some cases I think so. If one of your closest acquaintances is a creep, then why the heck are you hanging out with them?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:26 am

There was a time I hung out with racist, anti gay rednecks in Mississippi, some I suspected of being in the KKK. But, they were my relatives - couldn't always avoid it.

Then in the counter-culture days of the late '60s and early '70s I would be seen with druggies, some into meth and heroin. I wasn't into those specific drugs but did grass and psychedelics, so how could I be too judgmental. Hell, I even knew ppl strung out on cigarettes - just tried to avoid them in enclosed spaces where their drug polluted the air I had to breathe.

While we usually elect to hang out with ppl into our own values and enjoyments, sometimes you will find a person you like with disparate habits and still enjoy their company on things you have in common.

So, while I have kept company with prostitutes, druggies, adulterers, ppl of color, homosexuals, artists and musicians I do try to avoid lawyers and corporate executives.

I know that is un Christian of me. But, I ain't Christian (tho I have hung out with them.)

Matthew 9:9-13: As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax booth; and he said to him, “Follow me.” And he got up and followed him. And as he sat at dinner in the house, many tax collectors and sinners came and were sitting with him and his disciples. When the Pharisees saw this, they said to his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?” But when he heard this, he said, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. Go and learn what this means, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have come to call not the righteous but sinners.”
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:35 pm

Depends. Sometimes people have a different relationship with a perceived jerk or creep. You should judge it on a case by case basis.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:41 am