Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers?

Go down 
+9
Kral
wants2laugh
Cheaps
zthatzmanz28
Tony Marino
Hyacinth Girl
Forgiveness Man
Supernova
RedBedroom
13 posters
AuthorMessage
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers? Empty
PostSubject: Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers?   Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers? EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 1:27 pm

Personally, I think they should. I know it is their right to make money on beverages, but basic water should be free.

In the last two weeks, I have had to pay for bottled water at two different places.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers?   Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers? EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 1:31 pm

That's stupid, hell yes the water should be free of all things.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers?   Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers? EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 2:33 pm

I don't expect them to give you complimentary BOTTLED water. If it's just fountain water, then that's very different from bottled in terms of price.

I don't think it should be REQUIRED. I think if a restaurant wants to charge for water, they should be permitted to. It's just that a restaurant that charges for water is likely to not make a good name for themselves, especially in a world in which soft drinks are so frowned upon. If they are willing to come off as the greedy bastards they would be seen as if they charge for water, I don't feel it's the law's business to stop them.
Back to top Go down
Hyacinth Girl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Hyacinth Girl

Female
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers?   Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers? EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 2:37 pm

I thought water was free everywhere? At least every place in my area doesn't seem to charge for it by the glass.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers?   Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers? EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 3:25 pm

We get glasses of water here for free, no bottled water that I have ever seen.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers?   Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers? EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 3:59 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:
I don't expect them to give you complimentary BOTTLED water. If it's just fountain water, then that's very different from bottled in terms of price.

I don't think it should be REQUIRED. I think if a restaurant wants to charge for water, they should be permitted to. It's just that a restaurant that charges for water is likely to not make a good name for themselves, especially in a world in which soft drinks are so frowned upon. If they are willing to come off as the greedy bastards they would be seen as if they charge for water, I don't feel it's the law's business to stop them.

I didn't mean I expected free bottled.

In both cases, tap water for free was not an option and to get water, bottled had to be purchased. The first one, I kind of understood. It was before the game at a bar and she said that they only sold bottled water on game day, up until half time. The second instance was at a Chinese restaurant. When I said I wanted two waters, he pointed me to the cooler. I said, "No, I just want to cups of tap water." He said, nope, they don't give out free cups of water. I won't be going back there.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers?   Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers? EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 6:00 pm

^^^^Well, if a restaurant doesn't give out tap water, I suppose that is their right. I don't think it's wise to mandate that a restaurant really offer anything for sale. How we respond to a restaurant is our business and we've a right to shun such places and they'll have to live with the loss of clientele. But I don't think it's the law's place to require them to serve water.
Back to top Go down
zthatzmanz28
…is Significant.
…is Significant.
zthatzmanz28

Male
Rep : 13

PostSubject: Re: Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers?   Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers? EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 2:10 am

Half the time we go out, we have water and lemon. We have never been charged for a glass of water. We have been given the pitch to buy bottled water. We always come back with why would we pay for water in plastic that is about identical to tap and wastes more resources packaged in plastic.
Back to top Go down
http://www.blueroadblogger.com
Cheaps
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Cheaps

Female
Rep : 252

PostSubject: Re: Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers?   Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers? EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 4:07 am

RedBedroom wrote:
Personally, I think they should. I know it is their right to make money on beverages, but basic water should be free.

In the last two weeks, I have had to pay for bottled water at two different places.

I've never paid for a glass of water, it's always complimentary. Bottled water of course, your expected to pay.
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

PostSubject: Re: Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers?   Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers? EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 3:28 pm

around here in the summer because of low water tables, you have to ask for water...because they are encouraged to conserve. But i have never paid for water because they made me buy a bottle because they did not want to give me tap
Back to top Go down
Kral
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Kral

Female
Rep : 30

PostSubject: Re: Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers?   Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers? EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 10:39 pm

Perhaps not bottled water, but every restaurant should offer complimentary glasses of water.
Back to top Go down
AtownPeep
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
AtownPeep

Female
Rep : 39

PostSubject: Re: Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers?   Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 12:31 am

I agree that glasses of water should be complimentary but I've never been in a restaurant where they offered free bottled water.
Back to top Go down
Impact
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Impact

Male
Rep : 75

PostSubject: Re: Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers?   Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 3:24 pm

At the risk of sounding repetitive, I am going to agree with what's been said here already. Glasses of tap water and unlimited refills should be on the house, but bottled water not so much.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers?   Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 4:58 pm

Pretty much co-signs
Back to top Go down
Jason B.
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Jason B.

Male
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers?   Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 8:35 pm

If it me, I would prefer to get a glass of complimentary water because at least then you can get ice and as many refills as you ask for.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers?   Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers?
Page 1 of 1