CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Supernova
Artemis
RedBedroom
7 posters

Question for parents of adults....

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Question for parents of adults.... Empty Question for parents of adults....

Post by RedBedroom Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:43 am

....are you sad when your kids have birthdays?

My stepdaughter turned 23 today. I am so sad about her adult status. She is going to need me less and less as the years go by.

I am taken by the fact on my 23rd b-day, I was mom to her newborn brother. She has already gotten farther than I ever did at that age and I am so proud.

I guess I am more emotional about it as I know she is applying for teaching jobs out of state next year and I NEVER thought she would leave the area.

So....I am so emotional tonight thinking about her spreading her wings.
    Artemis
    Artemis
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 0

Question for parents of adults.... Empty Re: Question for parents of adults....

Post by Artemis Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:10 am

I don't have any kids, but I've never thought of it that way.
    I know when I moved out of home my dad was devastated. THe only sane child is leaving me!
    But, I speak regularly to them, skype and so on... its like I never left.

Its an exciting time for your daughter... interstate isn't too bad Smile
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:16 am

My brother and I were the runts of the litter and are also the only ones who have stayed home instead of running off the minute we turned 18 like my older sisters. Now it may sound like they made the smarter, more 'adult' choice, but given their reasons and the way they went about doing it, I think my brother and I made the better decision. I don't know about my brother, but I plan to get out of here someday, but the difference is when I go, I'm taking my mother with me, I'm the thing that's been keeping her young for over 20 years.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:23 am

Super, you make me totally relate...I plan to be her house-guest three times a year, so in essence she will be taking me with her!
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:45 am

And how long are those 3 times going to be?
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:33 am

RedBedroom wrote:....are you sad when your kids have birthdays?

My stepdaughter turned 23 today. I am so sad about her adult status. She is going to need me less and less as the years go by.

I am taken by the fact on my 23rd b-day, I was mom to her newborn brother. She has already gotten farther than I ever did at that age and I am so proud.

I guess I am more emotional about it as I know she is applying for teaching jobs out of state next year and I NEVER thought she would leave the area.

So....I am so emotional tonight thinking about her spreading her wings.

bear hug I don't have any kids, but my nephews are 25, 23, 21. The eldest's wife just had a baby making me a great-aunt at 37!!! Now I feel old. I was crying so hard when his daughter was born, and asked him "Am I supposed to let you go now?" He replied, "Never, I'll be mad if you do".... Sometimes I hurt so bad when I see what i think are wrong choices in his life---- he got married too young. Could have traveled and experienced life--- but HE chose to live as he wishes.. and I need to respect that. He has a terrible wife... but she is HIS wife not mine. He is in the coast guard and could not wait to move away--- that last about a year until he got transferred back here because he couldnt stay away from his family!

Let the kids grow up... and guess what... you might find out that they need you more! Where do you think they went when the baby was born? They stayed 2 weeks with my sister for "baby help"! LOL Kids will always need their parents... their needs just change tho... they will need you in different ways than they did before.. but you will ALWAYS be a parent! bear hug
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:25 pm

My daughter will be 24 on her next birthday. I don't feel sad because she won't need us but we are closer to having an empty nest than not and that will take some getting used to.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:37 pm

My wife and I did our daughter like the bears. Made her run up a tree, then split! hehe

We always joked that we were getting her a good set of Samsonite for her graduation gift.

But, she was still in HS when we got a chance for a live-in job, so we got her and her then BF an apartment, paid the deposit and first months rent then split. But, not like we flew off to another planet, just an adjoining city, so we have been in contact for our grandsons births and trips to visit family up in N. FL. etc.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:03 am

My youngest will be 51 years old on the 13th of this month. I don't know how the baby got so old.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:12 am

Suzi wrote:My youngest will be 51 years old on the 13th of this month. I don't know how the baby got so old.
    Has your baby become a member of AARP yet? I know there was a delight of annoying my mother when I let her know I had joined. She was only 65 at the time.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:31 am

We don't have AARP here, we actually have CARP, but they are useless so we don't bother with it.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:52 am

Suzi wrote:We don't have AARP here, we actually have CARP, but they are useless so we don't bother with it.

So that would be more like CRAP.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:40 am

Supernova wrote:And how long are those 3 times going to be?

LOL, just long weekends, as I still have to work and earn money!!
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:41 am

wants2laugh wrote:

bear hug I don't have any kids, but my nephews are 25, 23, 21. The eldest's wife just had a baby making me a great-aunt at 37!!! Now I feel old. I was crying so hard when his daughter was born, and asked him "Am I supposed to let you go now?" He replied, "Never, I'll be mad if you do".... Sometimes I hurt so bad when I see what i think are wrong choices in his life---- he got married too young. Could have traveled and experienced life--- but HE chose to live as he wishes.. and I need to respect that. He has a terrible wife... but she is HIS wife not mine. He is in the coast guard and could not wait to move away--- that last about a year until he got transferred back here because he couldnt stay away from his family!

Let the kids grow up... and guess what... you might find out that they need you more! Where do you think they went when the baby was born? They stayed 2 weeks with my sister for "baby help"! LOL Kids will always need their parents... their needs just change tho... they will need you in different ways than they did before.. but you will ALWAYS be a parent! bear hug

You seem like a totally kick ass auntie!!
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:50 am

Thanks... they always did call me "Da Cool Aunt"....

that is why i dont regret not having kids... cause i lived all the little league, coached hockey, went to karate tournaments, bowling leagues, etc etc. I got to do all the fun stuff and rarely had to be the "bad guy"! that is the Best part of "parenting"! LOL
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:56 am

wants2laugh wrote:Thanks... they always did call me "Da Cool Aunt"....

that is why i dont regret not having kids... cause i lived all the little league, coached hockey, went to karate tournaments, bowling leagues, etc etc. I got to do all the fun stuff and rarely had to be the "bad guy"! that is the Best part of "parenting"! LOL

I don't like when adults get a bad rap for not wanting to be parents. There are soooo many ways to be influential in kids' lives. I had two AMAZING Aunties and that made me want to be auntie more than Mom, to a point. As an only child I had to become "Auntie" to my God Daugher and my high school best friend's daughther, but I am still "Auntie Redbedroom" to them. And I love it.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:04 am

That is awesome... i have several neighborhood kids that were friends with my nephews that still call me aunt---its funny to hear them say that at 28 years old, and they have their kids call me aunt too. One of them was just on the cover of a magazine called Ink & Hip Hop! She looks awesome!

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:06 am

Wow! Total hottie! Great cover!
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:09 am

just wish all those tattoos weren't real---- but whatcha gonna do? LOL her body, her money... when she is like 90 and they all turn colors and sag she is going to be thinking "what the hell"??? LOL
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:10 am

Well, she is smarter than most. That ink is easily covered.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:13 am