CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Shale
Nystyle709
Alan Smithee
Chris
8 posters

GLAAD wants CNN to fire Roland S. Martin over David Beckham tweets

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

News GLAAD wants CNN to fire Roland S. Martin over David Beckham tweets

Post by Chris Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:51 pm

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/02/06/roland-martin-glaad-cnn/

Feb 6 2012 11:28 AM ET
    GLAAD wants CNN to fire Roland S. Martin over David Beckham tweets
    by Mandi Bierly

GLAAD wants CNN to fire Roland S. Martin over David Beckham tweets Roland-S-Martin_240

The New York Giants and New England Patriots weren’t the only ones in a fight on Super Bowl Sunday. GLAAD took offense to tweets by CNN contributor Roland S. Martin and has now started a petition to have him fired from CNN. Martin, however, maintains his tweets were taken out of context. Here’s what happened.

Commenting on David Beckham’s H&M underwear commercial, Martin tweeted “Ain’t no real bruhs going to H&M to buy some damn David Beckham underwear! #superbowl,” “If a dude at your Super Bowl party is hyped about David Beckham’s H&M underwear ad, smack the ish out of him! #superbowl,” and “I bet soccer fan @piersmorgan will be in line at H&M in the morning to get his hands on David Bechman’s [sic] underwear line! LOL #superbowl.“

Quickly, Twitter users started accusing him of homophobia. Martin seemed shocked that people would make that leap, responding “no, fool! Look at the underwear! You would be the only fool on my TL to come to that conclusion…. and if your ignorant self followed by tweets, you would see I’m ALWAYS rippin’ on soccer. Such a fool,” as well as various versions of “are you that dumb? I rag on soccer all of the time. David Beckham. Soccer player. Pay the hell attention!”

Martin pointed out that he frequently cracks on Morgan for tweeting about soccer on “real football” Sundays, and that his tweet about smacking the “ish” out of a man excited for Beckham’s underwear ad was not meant to be taken literally. “[A]nd I said if your bad kid runs in front of the TV during the #superbowl, next time u see them will be on a milk carton,” he explained to one person, “so in your world, was my kids tweet advocating kidnapping? See how silly you can try to make this?”

About an hour after Martin’s initial tweet, GLAAD got into the argument tweeting, “.@rolandsmartin Advocates of gay bashing have no place at @CNN #SuperBowl #LGBT.” Martin’s response: “@glaad @CNN well you’re clearly out of touch and clueless with what I tweeted. Way to assume, but you’re way off base.” As of this morning, GLAAD continued to tweet a link to an online petition asking for CNN to oust Martin and claiming they were part of a pattern. Over a series of tweets around 10:30 a.m. ET, Martin explained himself again:

“Fam, let me address the issue that some in the LGBT community have raised regarding some of my Super Bowl tweets yesterday. I made several cracks about soccer as I do all the time. I was not referring to sexuality directly or indirectly regarding the David Beckham ad, and I’m sorry folks took it otherwise. It was meant to be a deliberately over the top and sarcastic crack about soccer; I do not advocate violence of any kind against anyone gay, or not. As anyone who follows me on Twitter knows, anytime soccer comes up during football season it’s another chance for me to take a playful shot at soccer, nothing more.”

A spokesman for GLAAD tells EW.com the petition still stands: “This isn’t a mistake made on Twitter. It’s part of a pattern of anti-LGBT rhetoric that culminated in two tweets yesterday promoting violence towards gay people. The time has come when CNN and Time Warner have to decide whether they want to continue to use their platforms to elevate those who use such language.” GLAAD cites this earlier tweet from Martin on Super Bowl Sunday: “Who the hell was that New England Patriot they just showed in a head to toe pink suit? Oh, he needs a visit from #teamwhipdatass.”

A rep for CNN has yet to return EW’s request for comment.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

News Re: GLAAD wants CNN to fire Roland S. Martin over David Beckham tweets

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:05 pm

I agree with Mr. Martin. I hope CNN shows some backbone.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:40 pm

GLADD needs to shut the fuck up.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:46 pm

GLAAD is the PETA of the gay-rights movement. An embarrassment.

I have been opposed to their antics for decades and will likely write to CNN just as I did to Kellogg's (Nut 'N Honey) saying that GLAAD is an oversensitive, radical group of agitators who haven't a clue when it comes to fun banter between guys. They have no sense of humor and see anti-gay in the most innocent stuff.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:13 pm

I guess GLAAD didn't like not being in the news for too long so they decided to start something...
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:12 pm

Figured the thread was pointless without pics...ok fine it was entirely gratuitous.
    GLAAD wants CNN to fire Roland S. Martin over David Beckham tweets David-Beckham-in-his-HM-pants-0112

I'm not even a "bruh" & hell I want to go buy this underwear.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:36 pm

I don't have a problem with gays, however if CNN fires Roland over that I will stop watching CNN. Its not that I am so crazy about Roland it is that he didn't say anything to get himself fired, and sometimes these specialized narrow groups get carried away.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:26 pm

GLADD is starting to do more HARM to the gay community than the people they are going after, because they're making themselves look not only like assholes, but also morons! There comes a time when these "rights" groups need to take a step back, get a reality check and use some common sense. Why would a prominent CNN contributer intentionally make homophobic/racist/sexist/anti-semetic comments in a public forum in this day and age unless they were RETARDED? After the Don Imus incident, nobody is that stupid! Well, almost nobody...I hope.

In any case, this was obviously just GLADD misintepreting what he had said. I can certainly see how it could be taken as homophobic, when taken out of context, but now that he has explained it away, it makes perfect sense. There is not only no reference to sexuality at all, but the comment about Piers Morgan seems to rationalize his explanation perfectly. GLADD doesn't even admit to the possibility that they may have jumped to conclusions here and seem unwilling to admit that they just made a false assumption without any facts. Calling for someone to be FIRED over a comment that you misintepreted is ridiculous! Remember John Rocker anyone? So I agree that if CNN actually fires this guy, they are spineless!
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:23 pm

I think the problem some people are having with Roland Martin is not only this specific incident but his history. This is from Michelangelo Signorile.

Roland Martin's History on Gays Says It All

Michelangelo Signorile

Editor-at-large, HuffPost Gay Voices; host, 'The Michelangelo Signorile Show' on Sirius XM's OutQ

Posted: 02/ 7/2012 9:22 am

CNN political analyst Roland Martin laughably claims he was talking about soccer fans -- not gay men -- when he tweeted messages during the Super Bowl which now have the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation and the National Black Justice Coalition calling for him to be fired.

But a look at Martin's history shows what group he clearly was referring to when he tweeted, "Ain't no real bruhs going to H&M to buy some damn David Beckham underwear!" and "If a dude at your Super Bowl party is hyped about David Beckham's H&M underwear ad, smack the ish out of him!"

That's because for a long time Roland Martin has viewed gays as a group that, figuratively speaking, need the "ish" kicked out of them -- as in having a preacher "bowl down your alley."

I'll explain that, but first, let's not forget that this is a man who came to Tracy Morgan's defense when the comedian said he'd kill his own kid if he was gay. Though a Democratic political analyst and supporter of President Obama, Martin's been on the wrong side of gay rights in just about every debate, even saying "thanks" to the Miss USA pageant loser, Carrie Prejean, for coming out against same-sex marriage in 2009.

But most revealing are Martin's comments in a column he wrote in 2006, in which he promoted "pray-away-the-gay" therapy:

My wife, an ordained Baptist minister for 20 years, has counseled many men and women to walk away from the gay lifestyle, and to live a chaste life... For her, the obligation is to her calling as a minister of the Word, rather than bowing to societal pressures. She loves gay and lesbian church members dearly, and prays with them, talks to them, and breaks bread with them. But what she cannot do is compromise the integrity of the teachings of Christ.

Martin then compared homosexuality to alcoholism, one of the "dangers" that must be preached against:

It would be nonsense for the body of Christ to launch a gay and lesbian ministry that is not focused on teaching God's Word -- including those that address homosexuality. Preaching about the dangers of becoming drunkard -- which Paul wrote about in the Bible -- must be taught alongside of Jesus' admonition in Matthew 19 that God has only called a man and woman to marry.

Martin went on to tell gays -- whom he views as "captives" of "sin" -- that if they go to a church that is "rooted in the Bible" they should expect to be verbally bashed around a bit by the preacher, who will "bowl down your alley":

... if someone expects to join a church that is rooted in the Bible, then they should be prepared to hear a sermon that might, in the words of the Rev. Frederick D. Haynes III of Dallas' Friendship-West Baptist Church, "bowl down your alley or sit in your pew." The church is called to love our fellow man, preach the good news and set the captives free -- free from a life of sin. That isn't being homophobic. It's being a Christian. And no one should have to apologize for that.

In a message earlier in the day on Super Bowl Sunday Martin tweeted, "Who the hell was that New England Patriot they just showed in a head to toe pink suit? Oh, he needs a visit from #teamwhipdatass."

There seems to be a pattern here: smack the ish out, whip dat ass, bowl down your alley, sit in your pew. GLAAD and NBJC say it exposes something ugly and, pointing to Martin's history, that it's time for CNN to show him the door. For too long Martin's gotten away with excuses, while CNN looked the other way. Refraining from suggesting violence against any group -- including soccer fans -- isn't much for a news network to ask of its political analysts.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michelangelo-signorile/roland-martin-superbowl-_b_1259631.html

captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:58 pm

CeCe wrote:I think the problem some people are having with Roland Martin is not only this specific incident but his history. This is from Michelangelo Signorile.

Without retracting my previous statements about GLADD, assuming that everything that Michelangelo Signorile says here is true and accurate, then I retract everything I said earlier about Roland Martin. Apparently, he IS a moron after all!
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:05 am

captainbryce wrote: Without retracting my previous statements about GLADD, assuming that everything that Michelangelo Signorile says here is true and accurate, then I retract everything I said earlier about Roland Martin. Apparently, he IS a moron after all!
    co-signs

Oh, I didn't say anything about Roland Martin in my post - just that the tweet I read was not seen as homophobic as GLAAD was bitchin' about it. That other stuff shows him as a narrow minded bigot of the first degree and CNN should have told him to zip it if he wants to keep a position in the public eye.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Update

Roland Martin suspended by CNN for David Beckham tweets
    February 8, 2012 | 12:07 pm

CNN analyst Roland Martin has been suspended for his controversial tweets on Super Bowl Sunday making fun of an H&M ad featuring David Beckham.

"Roland Martin's tweets were regrettable and offensive," said a statement issued by CNN. "Language that demeans is inconsistent with the values and culture of our organization, and is not tolerated. We have been giving careful consideration to this matter, and Roland will not be appearing on our air for the time being."

The suspension comes a few days after GLAAD and other gay organizations angered by the tweets demanded CNN suspend Martin or take other action.

Martin midway during the Super Bowl sent a tweet making fun of the ad that featured soccer star Beckham dressed only in his tighty-whiteys: "Ain't no real bruhs going to H&M to buy some damn David Beckham underwear!" He continued, "If a dude at your Super Bowl party is hyped about Beckham's H&M underwear ad, smack the ish out of him."

Martin denied he was being homophobic, saying the tweets were a joke.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2012/02/roland-martin-suspended-for-david-beckham-tweets.html
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:34 pm

Well, good that the asswipe got suspended and bad that GLAAD gets cred for it this time, because the complaint this time was unfounded.

At least the payback is justified for previous hate speech.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 27, 2024 11:41 pm