CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Bluesmama
Supernova
6 posters

A thought on "Dracula"

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

A thought on "Dracula" Empty A thought on "Dracula"

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:38 am

When Tod Browning made Dracula in 1931, Bela Lugosi was not the first pick to play the immortal role of Count Dracula, Lon Chaney Sr. was, the man of 1000 faces. Unfortunately Chaney died shortly after getting the part and then it went over to Bela, whose performance was great, but I do have to agree with Stephen King on this, Lugosi's Dracula is not a very scary Dracula:

A thought on "Dracula" Bela-lugosi-dracula-july-2011

Especially as he pointed out, with lines like 'I never drink...wine', that's not scary. But you see his Dracula and he doesn't really look scary, he looks very classy, very suave, etc., he looks charming, Lon Chaney not so much.

A thought on "Dracula" Chaney1

Even without makeup he could look menacing, but WITH makeup, especially as he had previously played a vampire in the forever lost film London After Midnight:

A thought on "Dracula" London-after-midnight-lon-chaney-lost-film-found

Yes THIS as Dracula could've been VERY scary I think, what's everyone else think?
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

A thought on "Dracula" Empty Re: A thought on "Dracula"

Post by Bluesmama Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:03 am

Ya never know. Chaney's Dracula could have flopped, although he certainly possessed a more menacing look. But something about Lugosi mesmerized the movie-viewers. He had that pale look and the voice.

Interesting that Chaney's son would become the werewolf, though.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:30 am

Bluesmama wrote:Ya never know. Chaney's Dracula could have flopped, although he certainly possessed a more menacing look. But something about Lugosi mesmerized the movie-viewers. He had that pale look and the voice...

The vampire of Count Dracula was a story as much about seduction as a horror story, so Lugosi probably did better at the role than a more physically intimidating monster. Ppl forget the forbidden seduction side of this story and just want it to be a bloody horror story.

It's why so many ppl have a problem with Twilight. I keep telling them, it's not a horror story - it is a love story that happens to have vampires and werewolves in it.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:00 pm

I enjoyed Bela Lugosi as Dracula. Don't forget it was a sign of the times too people back then thought Dracula was real scary but for us today, after being subjected to many slasher and blood and gut vampire movies, how can Lugosi's Dracula be scary to us. Lugosi brought Class to the role.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:08 pm

Tony Marino wrote:I enjoyed Bela Lugosi as Dracula. Don't forget it was a sign of the times too people back then thought Dracula was real scary but for us today, after being subjected to many slasher and blood and gut vampire movies, how can Lugosi's Dracula be scary to us. Lugosi brought Class to the role.

I don't know about that. The older movies are always going to have the ability to frighten some watchers.

A thought on "Dracula" Phantom%2Bopera%2Bchaney

This is always going to be scary to some people.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:26 pm

Supernova wrote:

I don't know about that. The older movies are always going to have the ability to frighten some watchers.

A thought on "Dracula" Phantom%2Bopera%2Bchaney

This is always going to be scary to some people.

Maybe to a child yes. I remember being frightened as a child by the Phantom, Dracula and Frankenstein and the Mummy gave me nightmares. As an adult now, I just look at them as Classic Monsters, not scary to me at all.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:29 pm

I don't know how old most people were when they saw The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari:

A thought on "Dracula" Top_10_zombie_Films_Worth_Your_Timehe-cabinet-of-dr-caligari

and for it being one of the cheapest looking horror movies ever made (paper backgrounds), people are still scared by it and by Conrad Veidt's performance in it. That's one thing I like about older movies, the more simpler scares can easily stand the test of time more so than some others can.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:35 pm

Supernova wrote:I don't know how old most people were when they saw The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari:

A thought on "Dracula" Top_10_zombie_Films_Worth_Your_Timehe-cabinet-of-dr-caligari

and for it being one of the cheapest looking horror movies ever made (paper backgrounds), people are still scared by it and by Conrad Veidt's performance in it. That's one thing I like about older movies, the more simpler scares can easily stand the test of time more so than some others can.

True, I think genuinely scary movies have more of an effect on people rather than seeing someone getting split in two or their head severed. I seem to recall Dr. Caligari when I was a kid and it scared the hell out of me. I am by no means an expert on what scares people but I wonder what kind of effect it would have on today's audience??
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:02 am

It's hard to say how scary Lugosi was or wasn't when pondering it through today's lense, but he added elements of charisma and magnitude that became essential to the character.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:40 pm

Impact wrote:It's hard to say how scary Lugosi was or wasn't when pondering it through today's lense, but he added elements of charisma and magnitude that became essential to the character.

co-signs
    I think Lugosi gave Dracula his swagger.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:50 am