What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday?

Go down 
+6
zthatzmanz28
Alan Smithee
Cheaps
Forgiveness Man
Bluesmama
RedBedroom
10 posters
AuthorMessage
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday? Empty
PostSubject: What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday?   What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday? EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 4:35 pm

People are reacting so strongly about Christie's decision to order flags be flown half-staff on Saturday, in tribute to Whitney Houston.

I think it is unnecessary to do it for a singer regardless of her amazing career and talent. That said, it isn't hurting anybody and her daughter will greatly appreciate it. So, it would be great if those totally against it would chill on the subject.
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female
Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday?   What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday? EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 5:24 pm

I think it is horrendous, and a slap to the face of those who have served in the military without having a flag flown at half-mast in their own honor. Whitney may have been an ultra-gifted singer but she was also a junkie and she was not a hero in any way, shape or form.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday?   What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday? EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Not one of Christie's finer moments. But I don't really have any strong opinions one way or another.

Last edited by Forgiveness Man on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cheaps
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Cheaps

Female
Rep : 252

PostSubject: Re: What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday?   What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday? EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 6:22 pm

Bluesmama wrote:
Whitney may have been an ultra-gifted singer but she was also a junkie and she was not a hero in any way, shape or form.

She was an EX drug abuser who suffered addiction for many years, and got herself help and CLEAN, that in many others eyes can make her a hero!

Back on topic:
Quote :

From Wikipedia:

In the United States, the President can issue an Executive Order for the Flag of the United States to be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States government, and others, as a mark of respect to their memory. When such an order is issued, all government buildings, offices, public schools and military bases are to fly their flags at half-staff. Under federal law the flags of states, cities, localities, and pennants of societies, shall never be placed above the flag of the United States; thus, all other flags also fly at half-staff when the U.S. flag has been ordered to fly at half-staff. Governors of the several U.S. states or territories are authorized by US Code to order all U.S. and state flags in their jurisdiction flown at half-staff as a mark of respect for a state official or resident who has died. Since a governor's executive order affects only his or her state, not the entire country, these orders are distinguished from presidential proclamations.

I assumed flying the flag-half staffed was only meant for fallen soldiers and government officials of some sort and was wondering why they would for an entertainer, but after reading this then I say go ahead and fly the flag half-staffed.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday?   What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday? EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 8:41 pm

I don't have a big problem with it.

Quote :
Christie said some people were being critical "without the facts," accusing him of treating Houston better than fallen soldiers.

The governor noted he has ordered flags flown at half-staff for all 31 fallen New Jersey soldiers and every fallen police officer during his time in office.

He also ordered flags lowered last year for Clarence Clemons, the saxophonist for Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/15/whitney-houston-new-jersey-funeral_n_1280082.html
Back to top Go down
zthatzmanz28
…is Significant.
…is Significant.
zthatzmanz28

Male
Rep : 13

PostSubject: Re: What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday?   What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday? EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 9:02 pm

Simply despicable...Christy is showing himself to be the real elephant ass that he is. And it shouldn't have been lowered for Clarence either. Entertainers are not national heroes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.blueroadblogger.com
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday?   What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday? EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 10:30 am

I don't live in NJ. It is not my issue.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday?   What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday? EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 11:29 am

I think a lot of people have the misconception that it's reserved for military or political figures. It's done for people who were prominent in the community. Tennessee lowered them for Elvis. They were lowered for Paterno in Pennsylvania. It's just symbolic. I really don't see the big deal people are making about it.
Back to top Go down
tmontyb
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
tmontyb

Male
Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday?   What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday? EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 11:49 am

I don't have a problem with it. She's Newark, New Jersey's baby and the state wants to pay their respects.

I just have to wonder if this were someone white would people be making it such an issue. I know black folks ain't.

Last edited by tmontyb on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tmontyb
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
tmontyb

Male
Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday?   What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday? EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 11:50 am

double post
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday?   What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday? EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 12:10 pm

tmontyb wrote:
I don't have a problem with it. She's Newark, New Jersey's baby and the state wants to pay their respects.

I just have to wonder if this were someone white would people be making it such an issue. I know black folks ain't.

Total co-signs

Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday?   What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday? EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 3:07 pm

tmontyb wrote:

I don't think her color has that much to do with the controversy. I think it's the drugs. My post stated that NJ lowered the flag for Clarence Clemons I that was the first I'd heard of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday?   What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's your take on the NJ flag being flown half-staff on Saturday?
Page 1 of 1