Do you think buying a house is a good investment? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you think buying a house is a good investment?

Go down 
+7
Marc™
Nystyle709
Shale
Alan Smithee
Hyacinth Girl
CeCe
Chris
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Do you think buying a house is a good investment? Empty
PostSubject: Do you think buying a house is a good investment?   Do you think buying a house is a good investment? EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 2:12 pm

Do you think buying a house is as good a long term investment today as it was forty years ago?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Do you think buying a house is a good investment?   Do you think buying a house is a good investment? EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 2:19 pm

Some reports I've read claim that financially it's actually better to rent. The real upside for me is not having to abide by someone elses rules. I can paint the walls any damn color I want & pull the carpet up or whatever I want to do. Of course repairs, taxes & insurance are my responsibility too. So it's a trade off. But the housing market is not what it used to be.
Back to top Go down
Hyacinth Girl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Hyacinth Girl

Female
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: Do you think buying a house is a good investment?   Do you think buying a house is a good investment? EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 2:20 pm

Depends where it is---location, location, location. . . and also what you plan to do with it as it relates to what you want out of life.

If you plan on staying in a certain area longterm, then it might be a better investment as opposed to renting, or if you move around a lot, or don't want the responsibility of a house, then it might be wise to rent. Also, renting out the house as a money-making venture if it happens to be in a tourist-area/beach/waterfront, could be a wise investment, even if you rent for yourself.

Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Do you think buying a house is a good investment?   Do you think buying a house is a good investment? EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 2:25 pm

Not for the people who couldn't afford them in the first place but even if the bottom has fallen out of the present market, if you bought your house 40 years ago and sell it now you should still make a profit.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Do you think buying a house is a good investment?   Do you think buying a house is a good investment? EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 2:53 pm

On the insistence of a couple of bosses, I bought a small condo. Only kept it for a couple of years because it did not suit my lifestyle. Being single, every time there is a repair or delivery you have to take a day off work and wait. I find it better to rent - anything needs to be done, tell the landlord.

Still as far as investment, I made about $5K on it in the couple years I had it. My realtor wanted to list it much higher by $20K but I wanted a quick sale.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Do you think buying a house is a good investment?   Do you think buying a house is a good investment? EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 8:59 pm

There are a lot of factors you should consider, but in general. If you can afford it, yes. A house appreciates in value. Can't go wrong with something that is going to be worth more than you paid for.
Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

PostSubject: Re: Do you think buying a house is a good investment?   Do you think buying a house is a good investment? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:08 am

I think so. So long as you buy one that you can see still living in 10-15+ years into the future.
Back to top Go down
Cheaps
Cheaps

Female
Rep : 252

PostSubject: Re: Do you think buying a house is a good investment?   Do you think buying a house is a good investment? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:11 am

Shrugs (Oh well…) Sure, I guess so.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Do you think buying a house is a good investment?   Do you think buying a house is a good investment? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 10:42 am

While most home appreciate in value, not all do. Buying a house should be a very careful consideration. There are several factors that could make a home depreciate in value.

Where I live, homes are selling for significantly less than they did ten years ago. A major factor has to do with the school district. Ten years ago, the school district owned land in this suburb where they planned "for sure" to build the new needed high school. Realtors were happy as a pig in shit because these homes around here couldn't be sold fast enough. We have an excellent elementary and the promise of a brand new high school made this hot area even hotter. Forward to today....voters have still not passed the building of a new high school. Now the district is trying harder by saying they will promote diversity by bussing from the city to the suburb and from here to the city. So, if and when the new high school gets built, a kid could live directly across the street from it, but still be bussed into a city high school.

Back to top Go down
tmontyb
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
tmontyb

Male
Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: Do you think buying a house is a good investment?   Do you think buying a house is a good investment? EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:31 am

If you can afford it, of course it is. I've never rented from anyone and probably (never say never) won't ever. I'm in a different situation because my house was given to my siblings and I by my parents in their divorce settlement, albeit I'm the only who still lives in it.
Back to top Go down
FireIce918
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
FireIce918

Female
Rep : 8

PostSubject: Re: Do you think buying a house is a good investment?   Do you think buying a house is a good investment? EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 2:48 am

It's only a good investment now if you buy it bank-owned to flip or plan to stay there for about 5 years.

Don't believe it's better to rent unless you KNOW you don't plan on being stationary or your credit needs a "second chance." Apartment complexes are profiting off the fact that people are simply scared to buy or can't pass a credit check.

And honestly, everyone else's fear is a homebuyer's gain right now. Around here, apartment complexes have been popping up on every corner and a one bedroom starts at about $900 if you're in a decent neighborhood--the same one bedroom was probably $650 4-5 years ago. Meanwhile, I've been looking at 3 bedroom townhouses in the range of $45k-$80k....that's no more than $700/mo and it's a tax write-off (unless it's a condo, then that's a whole different story). I can buy it at $80k, ASSESSED at $129, and "make" $49k just like that! These prices may not be going anywhere any time soon, but they have to go up eventually.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you think buying a house is a good investment?   Do you think buying a house is a good investment? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you think buying a house is a good investment?
Page 1 of 1