CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
tmontyb
Hyacinth Girl
FireIce918
Shale
CeCe
Marc™
Nystyle709
Alan Smithee
Chris
13 posters

Oklahoma Senate Passes Personhood Act, Effectively Banning All Abortions

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

News Oklahoma Senate Passes Personhood Act, Effectively Banning All Abortions

Post by Chris Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:52 pm

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/02/16/oklahoma-senate-passes-personhood-act-effectively-banning-all-abortions/

Oklahoma Senate Passes Personhood Act, Effectively Banning All Abortions
    February 16, 2012By Stephen D. Foster Jr.

Oklahoma Senate Passes Personhood Act, Effectively Banning All Abortions 11-300x213

The Republican dominated Oklahoma Senate has overwhelmingly passed Senate Bill 1433, also known as the Personhood Act, by a vote of 34-8.

The bill would define life as beginning at conception, effectively banning all abortions and many forms of contraception. The bill would also ban women from getting an abortion if they are raped because there are no exceptions in it. In other words, Oklahoma Republicans are granting rapists more power over their victims. Not only will a woman have to deal with the pain and trauma of being raped, she’ll be forced by state government to remain pregnant for nine agonizing months, only to endure more pain while giving birth.

Basically, the rapist wins.

The bill would also prohibit women from obtaining life saving abortions from their doctors if the pregnancy threatens their lives. The language of the bill is so broad and encompassing that a woman may be forced to die in a hospital because her doctors would be powerless to save her. But that’s not all, under this language, it’s possible that even a natural miscarriage could be defined as involuntary manslaughter.

In-vitro fertilization could be defined as mass murder since the process involves placing many fertilized eggs into a woman to increase the chances of her getting pregnant, because some, or all, of the zygotes could die. This will essentially prevent doctors from performing the procedure altogether, meaning many women will lose their last hope of having a child. Even contraception could be outlawed by this bill because contraception by definition prevents pregnancy and many conservatives believe birth control is a form of abortion.

Oklahoma is the second state this week to pass such a bill. The Iowa House introduced a bill banning abortion on Tuesday and the Virginia House passed a personhood bill earlier in the week. In the midst of a federal battle over contraception, Republicans across the country are declaring war on women in an effort to control what they do with their bodies and enslave them to the will of men under a twisted interpretation of the Christian Bible.

Anti-abortion advocates and Republicans are no longer content with the American people deciding on personhood amendments via the vote. They know that each of their attempts to pass such amendments have failed, such as in Colorado and Mississippi. So, they are now just using the government to force personhood and anti-abortion laws upon us. That, ladies and gentlemen, is how Republicans view the will of the American people.

If we don’t join them, they’ll force us to.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

News Re: Oklahoma Senate Passes Personhood Act, Effectively Banning All Abortions

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:55 pm

"Birth control is a form of abortion."

FUCK YOU!
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

News Re: Oklahoma Senate Passes Personhood Act, Effectively Banning All Abortions

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:54 pm

That's fucking unbelievable. Did they increase welfare in addition to this bill? *shaking my head* Glad I live in a civilized state.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:01 am

Nystyle709 wrote:That's fucking unbelievable. Did they increase welfare in addition to this bill? *shaking my head* Glad I live in a civilized state.

IKR....
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:28 am

Nystyle709 wrote:That's fucking unbelievable. Did they increase welfare in addition to this bill? *shaking my head* Glad I live in a civilized state.
    Of course not. The right only cares about "life" before it's born. Once it gets here they don't give a fuck.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:26 am

This makes me think that it could be dangerous for women to fuck men in Okie. Maybe it is time for women to pull a Lysistrata movement.

From Wikipedia:
    Lysistrata is a play written by Aristophanes. Originally performed in classical Athens in 411 BC, it is a comic account of one woman's extraordinary mission to end The Peloponnesian War. Lysistrata persuades the women of Greece to withhold sexual privileges from their husbands and lovers as a means of forcing the men to negotiate peace — a strategy, however, that inflames the battle between the sexes. The play is notable for being an early exposé of sexual relations in a male-dominated society.
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by FireIce918 Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:34 am

This is just freaking awful. I damn near packed my bags and made plane reservations to Europe when VA introduced this shit.

::going on a rant:: bitch-slapped

I mean, really....can we own our fucking wombs? When does it becomes the gov'ts business to put their literal hand all up and through my reproductive system?

So you mean to tell me I can only get one free "woman's health" visit under my expensive ass health coverage--a free visit where they barely do half the shit they're supposed to do--but these muthafuckas want to force me to grow and tend to something IN MY BODY that I may not want to? Why don't these fucks just barge into my house and tell me what type of beans I can have in my pantry while they're at it??
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:01 am

Shale wrote:This makes me think that it could be dangerous for women to fuck men in Okie. Maybe it is time for women to pull a Lysistrata movement.

From Wikipedia:
    Lysistrata is a play written by Aristophanes. Originally performed in classical Athens in 411 BC, it is a comic account of one woman's extraordinary mission to end The Peloponnesian War. Lysistrata persuades the women of Greece to withhold sexual privileges from their husbands and lovers as a means of forcing the men to negotiate peace — a strategy, however, that inflames the battle between the sexes. The play is notable for being an early exposé of sexual relations in a male-dominated society.

Shale, that won't work. The legislature will just pass Ephesians 5:22-33

Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:41 pm

Birth control is not a form of abortion, but abortion is a form of birth control, one that I don't agree with using as a means to that end, just for the sake of getting rid of an unwanted fetus because you don't feel like being a parent right now--cases of rape and serious situations where the health and well-being of the mother and/or baby is affected, I do think should be allowable for abortion.

I believe in God, too, and belive that babies and children are gifts in God's eyes, but I also know that God has allowed us the technology and knowledge to make informed choices too--that being birth control.

To go at this subject the way the aforementioned lawmakers did, is nothing short of bringing society right back to the caveman days, and another example of making the Bible say what you want it to say to accomplish your agenda. I'd like to say I'd be willing to bet the law would get overturned when all the rape victims start dropping their newborns on the doorsteps of their rapists, saying "Here's your kid you forced me to birth--have fun raising it." but they'll just make another law saying you can't do that because it somehow encroaches upon the rapists' rights and lives, thus proving once again, that the victims get punished more than the criminals.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:03 pm

Hyacinth Girl wrote:Birth control is not a form of abortion, but abortion is a form of birth control, one that I don't agree with using as a means to that end, just for the sake of getting rid of an unwanted fetus because you don't feel like being a parent right now--cases of rape and serious situations where the health and well-being of the mother and/or baby is affected, I do think should be allowable for abortion.

Who uses abortion as a means to an end? Do you think women sit there and go let's f*** and if I get pregnant I can just go get an abortion? It does not compute.

The fact of the matter is, a lot of people do not think when they are in the heat of the moment and things happen, diseases, pregnancies, etc. If someone winds up pregnant and they know they will not be able to handle a baby or simply doesn't want to have the child, it should be their choice and no one should have a say in it UNLESS they are planning to help raise the child or raise the child himself/herself.

Saying
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Hyacinth Girl Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:50 pm

tmontyb wrote:

Who uses abortion as a means to an end? Do you think women sit there and go let's f*** and if I get pregnant I can just go get an abortion? It does not compute.

The fact of the matter is, a lot of people do not think when they are in the heat of the moment and things happen, diseases, pregnancies, etc. If someone winds up pregnant and they know they will not be able to handle a baby or simply doesn't want to have the child, it should be their choice and no one should have a say in it UNLESS they are planning to help raise the child or raise the child himself/herself.

Saying

You don't think people use abortion as a form of birth control? I do understand that once your emotions get away from you, yeah it's hard to control, but also a little "advance planning", i.e. birth control, does wonders to not get yourself in the position of having to make such a decision. You can have your cake and eat it too, if you make the effort to be educated about it.

A former supervisor of mine did just that--she was a hard-ass who lived for her career, made her husband do everything around the house, and farmed her son off to daycare for long hours so she could focus on herself and everything she wanted. She decided to have another baby, and the prenatal tests indicated that it was a Downs Syndrome child, so she aborted it, stating it would disrupt her life too much, then went on to have yet another pregnancy, and kept that one because it was "perfect" and she could farm that baby off to daycare, too.

Guess what---being a parent means you make sacrifices and you don't always get what YOU want. Sometimes you have to accept what's dealt to you and make the best of it, learn from it, and grow with your "new normal". So my former supervisor missed out on much of her kids' growing up years, in exchange for what--a job that was taken from her anyway during a merger.

I'm not saying don't want and do for yourself, but there has to be a balance, and with all the advances of modern technology, Downs people can live pretty full and very normal lives for the most part. In my opinion, that abortion was just selfish beyond belief. I can understand if the baby is severly deformed, or has no brain or malformed vital organs--then it's almost an act of mercy, but my supervisor's case--nope. She had the means and the money to provide for that child, and having someone like that in her life would also have made her less of a bitch, I think.

Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:57 pm

Having once lived a year in Oklahoma, I can't say this surprises me. During that year I got pregnant and swore if the baby came before we could get back to California I'd drive across the border to Texas to have her and I am not overly impressed with Texas either.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:11 pm

tmontyb wrote:

Saying

There are women who have an abortion fetish.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male

Post by tmontyb Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:14 pm

Hyacinth Girl wrote:

You don't think people use abortion as a form of birth control? I do understand that once your emotions get away from you, yeah it's hard to control, but also a little "advance planning", i.e. birth control, does wonders to not get yourself in the position of having to make such a decision. You can have your cake and eat it too, if you make the effort to be educated about it.

Being an RN, MSN and having interned in a clinic where abortions were performed, I know first hand that the majority of women do not do it as a form of birth control. Most of them do it because they feel they have no other choice.

As far as your supervisor is concerned, I wouldn't pass judgment on her. It was her choice.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male

Post by tmontyb Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:16 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

There are women who have an abortion fetish.

That's mental illness. Totally different than your average woman who decides to have the procedure.

Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Hyacinth Girl Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:51 pm

tmontyb wrote:

Being an RN, MSN and having interned in a clinic where abortions were performed, I know first hand that the majority of women do not do it as a form of birth control. Most of them do it because they feel they have no other choice.

As far as your supervisor is concerned, I wouldn't pass judgment on her. It was her choice.

Well, I know everyone has their reasons for doing what they do, what they feel is best, and what works for them, and I don't have to like it all the time. I do pass a little judgement on the supervisor, because after 15 years of working for a tyrant, and seeing how nasty she treated her co-workers, everyone around her, and poo-poo'd her children, she sort of is "judgement worthy" just a bit. I remember many a time when the school would call saying to come pick up one of the kids because they were sick, and she'd spend an hour on the phone, calling around to find someone to go pick them up for her, usually her elderly, ailing mother in law, so she wouldn't have to leave her precious post.

I don't mean to derail this thread in anyway, but what kind of mother does that? And besides, this woman was nasty enough to pass judgement on me when she left in a huff after her job was eliminated, by erasing an entire hard drive on the computer that held all the important, vital information we needed to keep the lab going, because she knew I'd be stepping in to take her place, temporarily until the job was redefined. So nope--I'm not gonna feel bad about judging her after she was so malicious to me. I was able to rebuild everything, but I also think that the baby she aborted was the lucky one--it didn't have to have her for a mother. . . .
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male

Post by tmontyb Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Hy, when I said I wouldn't pass judgment, I meant me personally. After reading your post, I see you have reason and if I were in the situation as you, I'd feel the same as you do.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:30 pm

About 15 years ago my young cousin and her husband were so thrilled with her first pregnancy. This was in California. They were so happy , her parents were also delighted . Then she had an ultra sound and they discovered that she had a rare condition where the amniotic fluid was actually eating the fetus' flesh away. The doctor and the hospital refused to do the abortion that they wanted her to have. So they sent her to an abortion clinic. She and her husband, heart broken then had to run the gauntlet of screaming morons begging her "don't kill your baby". How dare they make it worse than it had to be. To this day she still weeps over that baby and the next one that ended with a miscarriage. They eventually did get 2 lovely daughters but not before an immense amount of sorrow.

I do not believe the majority of women make that decision lightly, and sometimes there is no choice. It is her business and hers only.
    zthatzmanz28
    zthatzmanz28
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male
    Rep : 13

Post by zthatzmanz28 Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:24 am

Why is it that everything they want, I see NO value or point to it?

[url]Oklahoma Senate Passes Personhood Act, Effectively Banning All Abortions I-like10[/url]
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:22 pm

I would imagine that some kind of a repeal has to be in the works. You can't just roll the clock back 40 years like that without staunch opposition and reaction.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:20 pm

AtownPeep wrote:I would imagine that some kind of a repeal has to be in the works. You can't just roll the clock back 40 years like that without staunch opposition and reaction.

I certainly hope so.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:24 pm

They're trying to roll the clock back a lot further than 40 years.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:03 pm

Glad I don't live in such an anti-female state. Next they will do away with laws prohibiting martial rape.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:08 pm

CatEyes10736 wrote:Glad I don't live in such an anti-female state. Next they will do away with laws prohibiting martial rape.

I'm sure they're working on that one. There was a case MANY years ago but I can't remember the woman's name.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:49 pm

An update & the return to common sense.

Oklahoma Personhood Measure Struck Down By Supreme Court

Posted: 04/30/2012 4:45 pm Updated: 04/30/2012 4:53 pm

The Oklahoma Supreme Court unanimously vetoed a ballot measure that would have given embryos full personhood rights on Monday, ruling it "clearly unconstitutional" because it would block a woman's legal right to have an abortion.

The personhood measure would give embryos the same legal rights as people from the moment of fertilization, which opponents say would ban abortion and complicate the legality of in vitro fertilization and many forms of birth control. Enacting such a law would violate the U.S. Supreme Court's 1992 decision in Planned Parenthood v. Casey, which allows states to pass some abortion restrictions but prevents them from overturning the constitutional right to end a pregnancy.

"The mandate of Casey is as binding on this Court today as it was twenty years ago," the Oklahoma Supreme Court wrote in its decision. "Initiative Petition No. 395 conflicts with Casey and is void on its face and it is hereby ordered stricken."

A personhood bill also failed in the Oklahoma legislature earlier this month, when Republican leadership in the state House of Representatives decided not to bring it to a vote, despite mounting pressure from anti-abortion groups.

“This amendment would have run roughshod over the fundamental, constitutionally protected reproductive rights of all Oklahoma women," said Nancy Northup, president and CEO of the Center for Reproductive Rights, which filed the case against the measure. "In affirming our request to strike it down, the court has struck a powerful blow against the repugnant tactics of those who seek to vote down the rights of others, and to enshrine their hostility to women’s lives, health, and rights in the laws of the land."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/30/oklahoma-personhood-fetal-personhood-bill_n_1465657.html

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:36 am