CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
Alan Smithee
CeCe
Impact
RedBedroom
Shale
Hyacinth Girl
Tony Marino
Supernova
12 posters

Having wisdom teeth removed

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Having wisdom teeth removed Empty Having wisdom teeth removed

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:15 pm

Have you had your wisdom teeth removed? Did you or would you under any circumstances have them all taken out at once or would you opt for separate extractions instead?

I have a small mouth and had to have 4 teeth removed (2 were rotted anyway and 1 was too long to fit) to make room for my wisdom teeth to come in. Now two of them are in and the other 2 are on the way, and I'm starting to consider having them removed as well. These are about impossible to reach when brushing, and all I'm doing is keep biting myself because it's so much easier to reach the insides of my cheeks with these new additions. BUT, the last time I went for one tooth to be extracted, the dentist had to use 3 shots of Novocain and more nitrous oxide than usual, for ONE tooth. I can't imagine how much I'd have to get for 4 removed before I feel anything.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Having wisdom teeth removed Empty Re: Having wisdom teeth removed

Post by Tony Marino Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:12 pm

I never had mine removed but 2 weeks ago a friend of mine had all 4 of his removed. He went under local anesthesia (knocked him out) and he said he only had 2 days of discomfort.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:16 pm

My daughter had all 4 removed back in June, with just Novocaine. She did fine and the recovery time was short. After spending thousands on braces and ortho work over the years, I whole-heartedly agreed that it was wise to just get them all out at once, rather than risk them coming in and pushing her other teeth in all directions after the braces had just done their job.

Myself, I had them done in the office, with just Novocaine, too, years ago, but have never had any other dental work done aside from cleanings.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:34 pm

Oh, just Novocain would NEVER do it for me, that happened the first time and I FELT EVERY SECOND OF IT!
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:59 pm

On the local anesthesia, they shoot in the back of the mouth hoping to block a main nerve. If they hit that you can get all your teeth pulled no worse than just one. Sometimes they don't hit that nerve and you have to be injected again.

I had the remaining three of my wisdom teeth removed at one time using local. It was no worse than other extractions, except I got physically ill the next day with a fever. IDK if it was just the trauma or some bacterial infection or just a reaction to swallowing blood but I was pretty sick for a day, then OK.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:46 pm

Shale wrote:On the local anesthesia, they shoot in the back of the mouth hoping to block a main nerve. If they hit that you can get all your teeth pulled no worse than just one. Sometimes they don't hit that nerve and you have to be injected again.

I had the remaining three of my wisdom teeth removed at one time using local. It was no worse than other extractions, except I got physically ill the next day with a fever. IDK if it was just the trauma or some bacterial infection or just a reaction to swallowing blood but I was pretty sick for a day, then OK.

Do regular dentists use local anesthetics or do you have to go to the hospital for that?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:57 pm

Supernova wrote:Do regular dentists use local anesthetics or do you have to go to the hospital for that?

Local is the novocain shot where you are awake the whole time with just the local area deadened.

I would suggest being in a hospital for a general anaesthesia where you are asleep because that is quite dangerous and needs close monitoring by an anaesthesiologist.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:33 pm

Oral surgeons and some dentists use sedation in the office. It is not quite the same as general anesthesia but you go through it and after you have no recollection. I had that type of sedation to remove scar tissue and I don't recall a thing. General anesthesia seems like over-kill for a tooth extraction.

I would get all four done. You can use pain pills for a day or so and then it will be all over with. I had all four done about two years ago. I hated the awful taste in my mouth for a day and the pain so I am glad it was all happening only one time.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:41 pm

RedBedroom wrote:Oral surgeons and some dentists use sedation in the office. It is not quite the same as general anesthesia but you go through it and after you have no recollection. I had that type of sedation to remove scar tissue and I don't recall a thing. General anesthesia seems like over-kill for a tooth extraction.

I would get all four done. You can use pain pills for a day or so and then it will be all over with. I had all four done about two years ago. I hated the awful taste in my mouth for a day and the pain so I am glad it was all happening only one time.

Try a week knowing my luck, 3 times when I had a tooth removed it took a week of extra strength ibuprofen round the clock before the pain finally stopped. It was only the last one that didn't hurt after the first night.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:46 pm

I had two bicuspids removed due to crowding issues before my braces were put on and that was a breeze. I did it right in the office with just a shot. Then I worked that night watitressing. But there is something about those molars that are so difficult. They leave such a large hole.

When you have it done, I hope it goes very well. If you are thinking of having it done in the hospital under general anesthetic, make sure you check with your dental insurance company because most will not pay for the costs associated with it, including an anesthesiologist.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:47 pm

Thanks but I think I'll take my chances at the office, and take them as they come, right now there are only two that are being a problem. There's a reason why the waiting room at the hospital here always has vacant seats.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:48 pm

Oh, but while we're on the subject I'd like to ask, has anybody here who has had a wisdom tooth removed, ever had to get stitches after the extraction? My mother says this further shows how small my mouth is because I didn't need any stitches for the holes after the teeth were cut out. Personally I'm having a little trouble wrapping my mind around how you get stitches on your gums.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:14 pm

I had one from the bottom removed. Didn't hurt as much as I had heard, a week later I was good.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:30 pm

Supernova wrote:Oh, but while we're on the subject I'd like to ask, has anybody here who has had a wisdom tooth removed, ever had to get stitches after the extraction? My mother says this further shows how small my mouth is because I didn't need any stitches for the holes after the teeth were cut out. Personally I'm having a little trouble wrapping my mind around how you get stitches on your gums.

Had all 4 done & yep there were stitches. Like Red said it's a sedation. Mine was done with IV Valium & gas. General is overkill & as Shale said if it were done that way it should only be in a hospital setting. But I would recommend an oral surgeon for something like this. It's done in the office & in a few days you're good.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:25 pm

4 boney impacted. They had to dig them out.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:26 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:4 boney impacted. They had to dig them out.

With what?

I had one molar removed that the entire center was rotted and a hole remained...couldn't just cut that one out with the pliers, they had to drill it too.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:30 pm

Supernova wrote:

With what?

Having wisdom teeth removed Stock-photo-hammer-and-chisel-on-bright-background-shot-in-studio-46208380

Having wisdom teeth removed Horizontal%20impact

Last edited by Alan Smithee on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:27 pm

Never had a wisdom tooth removed and I'm not going to either, unless they bother me. Hope that never happens. I like all my teeth.
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by FireIce918 Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:07 am

I had to have all 4 taken out when I was in 7th grade...my mouth is way too small for all those teeth. They knocked my ass out and I woke up high as gas. It wasn't that bad, just had to eat mashed potatoes and jello for a day or two.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:54 am

Which brings me to a new question, does anybody know how many teeth they have in their mouth? I know the standard is 32 but I think my number's more like 20.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:25 am

Most of my family never got any wisdom teeth. I unfortunately did get one. It didn't grow out to the length of my other teeth and rotted. So I had to have it pulled. No biggie as it only had one short fat root. My husband on the other hand had to have all 4 of his surgically removed because the roots were so long and twisted.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:31 am

Suzi wrote:Most of my family never got any wisdom teeth. I unfortunately did get one. It didn't grow out to the length of my other teeth and rotted. So I had to have it pulled. No biggie as it only had one short fat root. My husband on the other hand had to have all 4 of his surgically removed because the roots were so long and twisted.

Ewww. That was one thing that always disgusted me as a kid when my teeth would come out, when a root would still be stuck in the hole, it was so gross getting them out.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:38 am

Haven't had any of mine removed.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:48 pm

Supernova wrote:Which brings me to a new question, does anybody know how many teeth they have in their mouth? I know the standard is 32 but I think my number's more like 20.

With the removal of my third maxillary and mandibular molars, no more than 28. I did have teeth extracted when I was younger than 8 so they might not have been part of the second set.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:25 pm

Uh, let me go count ... blank stare @ you

Not counting the removable plastic ones, I have seven on top (two of which are plastic tops and two of which are ceramic) and seven on bottom.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:32 am