Who's Your Favorite Author? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who's Your Favorite Author?

Go down 
+4
Forgiveness Man
RedBedroom
Supernova
femme fatale
8 posters
AuthorMessage
femme fatale
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
femme fatale

Female
Rep : 46

Who's Your Favorite Author? Empty
PostSubject: Who's Your Favorite Author?   Who's Your Favorite Author? EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 8:35 pm

My favorite author is Henry David Thereau. I love Civil Disobedience. My favorite quotes are as follows:

Quote:
I
heartily accept the motto, "That government is best which governs
least"; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and
systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which also I
believe--"That government is best which governs not at all"; and when
men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which the
will have.

Quote:
Under a government which imprisons unjustly, the true place for a just man is also a prison.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?   Who's Your Favorite Author? EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 10:04 pm

Hard to say, I've read a lot of good ones, but I think one of my favorites would be Mary Roberts Rinehart, she wrote great mysteries and in fact started the whole 'the butler did it' thing and in her writing there's what's called the had-I-but-known element. And without her book, The Bat, Bob Kane probably never would've made Batman, so I'd say she deserves a lot of credit for her great writing.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?   Who's Your Favorite Author? EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 5:16 am

Either Jeanette Walls or Anne Lamotte.

"....he said it was interesting. He used the word 'textured'. He said 'smooth' is boring but 'textured' was interesting, and the scar meant that I was stronger than whatever had tried to hurt me."
Jeannette Walls (The Glass Castle)
"For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet or excite you. Books help us understand who we are and how we are to behave. They show us what community and friendship mean; they show us how to live and die."
Anne Lamott (Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life)

Who's Your Favorite Author? Add_quote
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?   Who's Your Favorite Author? EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 8:11 am

I don't have one honestly. Although I hope to BE one to at least a few people one day. Razz
Back to top Go down
fetaby
…is a Newbie.
…is a Newbie.
fetaby

Male
Rep : 2

PostSubject: Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?   Who's Your Favorite Author? EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 1:33 am

Terry Pratchett

And I'm pissed that he has Alzheimer's.
Back to top Go down
pisces33
…is an Up 'N Comer.
…is an Up 'N Comer.
pisces33

Female
Rep : 4

PostSubject: Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?   Who's Your Favorite Author? EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 10:07 am

I am really in to sci-fi fantasy, so the late and missed Robert Jordan, also gone Robert Heinlein, Margaret Weis, Mercedes Lackey and the lamented Marion Zimmer Bradley top my list. Urban fantasy would be Kim Harrison, Kelley Armstrong and Charlaine Harris. Thrillers would be Dan Brown and James Patterson. Stephen King is back from what ever dark place he was, so I am enjoying his books again. I could go on and I know I have missed a lot but those are the ones I have thought of right now.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?   Who's Your Favorite Author? EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 1:53 pm

I'd have to say Kurt Vonnegut. Since his passing I've been lucky enough to come across two volumes of short stories that I didn't know existed. Bagombo Snuff Box and Armageddon in Retrospect. I just to make sure I had the names right and discovered that he has another posthumous collection, Look at the Birdie. Ah...serendipity! big grin
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?   Who's Your Favorite Author? EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 1:57 pm

fetaby wrote:
Terry Pratchett

And I'm pissed that he has Alzheimer's.

That's a shame on many levels. I know my wife and I are keeping our fingers crossed that notheing happens to George R.R. Martin. At least until after he finishes the Fire and Ice series Wink
Back to top Go down
MandyPerfumeGirl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
MandyPerfumeGirl

Female
Rep : 26

PostSubject: Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?   Who's Your Favorite Author? EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 1:07 pm

I would say Vladimir Nabokov. He had this great gift for word play. In one of his novels (I believe it was "Laughter in the Dark") he mentioned how there was a play called "Cunning Stunts" and how you'd better not say those words too fast!
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?   Who's Your Favorite Author? EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 1:11 pm

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:
I would say Vladimir Nabokov. He had this great gift for word play. In one of his novels (I believe it was "Laughter in the Dark") he mentioned how there was a play called "Cunning Stunts" and how you'd better not say those words too fast!
good one
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?   Who's Your Favorite Author? Empty

Back to top Go down

Who's Your Favorite Author?
Page 1 of 1