CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Jason B.
Nystyle709
Chris
7 posters

'11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About'

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Gross '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About'

Post by Chris Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:47 am

http://www.businessinsider.com/11-disgusting-ingredients-that-arent-advertised-in-food-2012-3?op=1#ixzz1qk2fzwpN

Red Dye: Ground Up Beetles

'11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Red-dye-ground-up-beetles

Between yogurt, maraschino cherries, jams, cakes, and tomato products, you've probably consumed at least one pound of red dye in your life. That means that you've also ingested at least 70,000 cochineal beetles, according to a petition on Change.org. The bug is crushed up to make red dye.

Ice Cream: Beaver Anal Glands
    '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Ice-cream-beaver-anal-glands

Vanilla and raspberry flavors might be enhanced by "castoreum," a mixture of the anal secretions and urine of beavers. It's also found in perfume. The FDA-approved product is categorized under "natural flavoring," so you won't know if you're eating it.

After celebrity chef Jamie Oliver went on David Letterman's show and mentioned castoreum's presence in vanilla ice cream—"If you like that stuff, next time you put it in your mouth think of anal gland"—manufacturers adamantly denied the claims.

Beer: Fish Bladders
    '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Beer-fish-bladders

Isinglass, or dried fish bladder, gives beer its golden glow. The BBC did a whole segment on the substance, which is primarily used in British beers.

Wendy's Chili: Sand
    '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Wendys-chili-sand

One key ingredient to Wendy's chili is an anti-caking agent called silicon dioxide. Street name: sand or glass powder.

Jello: Animal Connective Tissue
    '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Jello-animal-connective-tissue

Gelatin is made from collagen, which is boiled down animal connective tissue. Today, gelatin most likely is made from pigskin.

Gum: Sheep Secretions
    '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Gum-sheep-secretions

Lanolin—a goopy, oily secretion found in sheep's wool—is an FDA-approved additive used to soften chewing gum. It can also be found in cosmetics, sunscreen, and baby products.

Cheese: Sawdust
    '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Cheese-sawdust

Cellulose, or virgin wood pulp that is more commonly identified as sawdust, is an ingredient found in shredded cheese. It keeps the shreds from clumping up. Cellulose also appears in Kraft Parmesan Cheese. The Street found 15 other companies that use "wood" in their products.

The USDA, which regulates meat, has decided that meat products that consist of more than 3.5 percent cellulose cannot be recognized as nutritionally sound.

Bread: Duck Feathers and Human Hair
    '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Bread-duck-feathers-and-human-hair
    L-Cysteine is an amino acid often used in dough conditioners, which softens mass-produced breads. It is made from human hair or duck feathers. Although 80 percent of L-cysteine is made of human hair, McDonald's uses the duck feather variety in its Baked Hot Apple Pie and Warm Cinnamon Roll.

Mushrooms: Maggots
    '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Mushrooms-maggots
    Wikimedia

The FDA says its legally OK to have up to 19 maggots and 74 mites in a 3.5-ounce can of mushrooms.

Potato Chips: Cleaning Agents
    '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Potato-chips-cleaning-agents

Sodium bisulfite is used in most toilet boil cleaning agents. It's also used to extend the shelf-life and bleach out the discoloration of potato chips.

Chocolate: Rat Hairs
    '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Chocolate-rat-hairs

We aren't saying that rat hairs are the secret ingredient of your favorite chocolate bars ... but they might make accidental guest appearances. The FDA allows one rat hair per 100 grams in six 100-gram subsamples of chocolate and 60 insect fragments per 100 grams in six 100-gram subsamples.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Gross Re: '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About'

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:22 am

Yeah, I already know about these. I have a friend who is very health conscious and she put me up on game. I have modified my diet drastically once finding out about it. And McDonald's is a restaurant I don't go to anymore.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Gross Re: '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About'

Post by Jason B. Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:04 pm

I would rather live in ignorance.
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by FireIce918 Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:25 pm

Vomit

Thankfully, I've cut a lot of fast food places out of my diet. I haven't been able to eat Wendy's comfortably after going there in high school and seeing one my classmates play with the cheese. And McDonalds is just all types of wrong.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:18 am

This sounds like a Fox News breaking story.

I knew about most of those 'disgusting' items, some of which I don't eat.

But they do advertise those things on the labels, just most ppl don't figure out what cochina or carmine are (the red beetle) or that gelatin is collagen which comes from skins and connective tissue. Lanolin, like our own sebacious secretions sounds disgusting, but it is just oil and can't be any more disgusting than lard or bacon fat.

How about bee barf (honey) or tree bark (cinnamon). Or how about bacteria in your yogurt. And, forget about the fish bladder in beer - the beer itself is nothing more than the piss and farts of yeast.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:42 am

Crazy.

FUCKING NASTY ABOUT THE RAT HAIRS!!! I'm not big on chocolate (as I've stated several times) and this gives me another reason.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:36 am

I am having problems swallowing this whole thing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:40 pm