Joint or separate accounts Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Joint or separate accounts

Go down 
+6
Alan Smithee
Suzi
CeCe
RedBedroom
Shale
Supernova
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

Joint or separate accounts Empty
PostSubject: Joint or separate accounts   Joint or separate accounts EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 11:25 am

If you are/were married, would you have a joint bank account, a separate account, or one joint with a small part of your money in it and a separate account your spouse didn't have access to with most of your money?

Something I've noticed about marriages, people may lay down their lives for their spouse, but not their life savings. If I was married I would have the two accounts.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Joint or separate accounts   Joint or separate accounts EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 11:33 am

My wife and I had joint checking & savings accounts. Unless you've got it in an offshore Caribbean account it really doesn't matter because the money (and either's debt) belongs to both spouses in a marriage (you have to declare all your money in a divorce to be divided equally.)

Even Jim and I, for our five years together as "roommates" had a joint account. Seems strange that no one questioned this arrangement. However, we bought our own Travelers Checks for our many trips together and I usually accumulated more of that.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Joint or separate accounts   Joint or separate accounts EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 11:37 am

Well, we are not married, but we have been together for almost 15 years. And even if we got married tomorrow, I don't know that I could get a joint account. We split all the bills and what's his is his, what's mine is mine.

We do talk about getting a joint savings, and actually have been a lot more lately, but I just don't know if I can do that. I should because it would be way out of my comfort zone and be a sign of solidarity.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Joint or separate accounts   Joint or separate accounts EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 11:46 am

RedBedroom wrote:
Well, we are not married, but we have been together for almost 15 years. And even if we got married tomorrow, I don't know that I could get a joint account. We split all the bills and what's his is his, what's mine is mine....
Have you made arrangements for survivorship? If you die, who has access to close your bank accounts and retrieve any money in it. That is the advantage of a joint account - keeping the bank from sitting on a dead account at pure profit.

Even when my wife and I separated and got our own separate bank accounts I put mine 'In Trust For' her, meaning she would inherit my accounts if I died. When she died I changed the ITF to my stepdaughter.

I sometimes wonder how much banks make on dead accounts that are never closed. I also wonder how much the travelers check companies make when a plane crashes and all those checks likely are not redeemed.
blank stare @ you
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Joint or separate accounts   Joint or separate accounts EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 12:04 pm

Both accounts (such as they are lol) are joint accounts.
Back to top Go down
Suzi
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Suzi

Female
Rep : 85

PostSubject: Re: Joint or separate accounts   Joint or separate accounts EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 12:06 pm

Always has been joint everything. I don't drive but even the car is in both our names.The only thing that isn't joint are the RRSP's and that is because we can't have them joint and it helps for tax purposes as well. In the case of the RRSP's we are each others beneficiaries.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Joint or separate accounts   Joint or separate accounts EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:29 pm

All our accounts have always been joint. I've got a few bucks squirreled away in an "Alan getting into trouble" fund but otherwise it's "our" money.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Joint or separate accounts   Joint or separate accounts EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:50 pm

We would each have our own separate accounts and then a joint account that we would contribute regularly to that would be used solely for paying the bills.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Joint or separate accounts   Joint or separate accounts EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 1:54 pm

If I have trust and faith in my partner then its joint.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: Joint or separate accounts   Joint or separate accounts EmptyTue May 01, 2012 1:42 am

My wife and I keep saying that we're going to create a joint account one of these days, but…
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female
Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: Joint or separate accounts   Joint or separate accounts EmptyWed May 02, 2012 2:27 pm

Separate. I got burned in my first marriage because money spilled through his fingers like water.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Joint or separate accounts   Joint or separate accounts Empty

Back to top Go down

Joint or separate accounts
Page 1 of 1