CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Nystyle709
Supernova
RedBedroom
7 posters

Catering to children's odd meal preferences....good or bad idea?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Catering to children's odd meal preferences....good or bad idea? Empty Catering to children's odd meal preferences....good or bad idea?

Post by RedBedroom Thu May 03, 2012 2:03 am

Normally, I say, "Do what works." If children are young and dicing up their meat in interesting shapes or letting them dine with a favorite spoon or fork works, go for it...

But today I spoke to a client about this topic. She said she had to put her daughter's food in muffin tins with toothpicks so she would eat it. A variety of condiments were made available.

That seems like too much to me.

Though I was criticized when my son was six. He did not like tablespoons, so I made sure he had small spoons. A friend said I was spoiling him. I didn't think so.

Now, if he was 15 and making the same request, maybe....
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Catering to children's odd meal preferences....good or bad idea? Empty Re: Catering to children's odd meal preferences....good or bad idea?

Post by Supernova Thu May 03, 2012 2:09 am

You know, as kids I really don't know that we had any odd preferences with our food. I didn't start mixing everything of mine up until I was about 11, until then everything was separate. Always used the same utensils as my brother, my mother decided when we switched to the big forks from the little ones.

No now that I think of it, when we had chicken patties on hamburger buns, I always had to have mine cut up into 3 or 4 strips and I would dunk them in ketchup and eat off the breading first and then the chicken, that's about the only one I remember having though.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Catering to children's odd meal preferences....good or bad idea? Empty Re: Catering to children's odd meal preferences....good or bad idea?

Post by Nystyle709 Thu May 03, 2012 6:56 am

As long as it was doable and reasonable.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu May 03, 2012 8:23 am

As long as it's within reason I don't see a problem. But I would probably not do the muffin/tin/toothpicks thing. To be honest that almost has an OCD sound to it. What does this kid do when eating at school or out in public? They're not going to cater to that. Everyone has little quirks & as long as it's not ridiculous it usually passes in time.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu May 03, 2012 12:03 pm

As long as its not something way out there and bizarre then I say its o.k. but try to break them out of the strange meal preferences.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu May 03, 2012 1:48 pm

I'd be more willing to put up with reasonably odd behavior on how the kid ate, not what he ate.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Thu May 03, 2012 4:25 pm

my bro used to only eat pizza, mac n cheese, and doritos... no lie... even breakfast was mac n cheese. My mother catered to him... and let me tell you.. as he got older he lived in more and more of a fantasy world. He is now 37 and still expects people to cater to him... If i buy lunch meat and rolls and ask him if he wants a sandwich... he will say yeah thanks... but he wont make it on his own! and i refuse to make it for him... so after the yeah thanks... i say... well the lunchmeat is in the fridge and the rolls in the cabinet... he wont eat! I swear its true!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:33 pm