N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash

Go down 
+3
Shale
Nystyle709
Alan Smithee
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash Empty
PostSubject: N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash   N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash EmptySun May 06, 2012 12:24 pm

They are suing the kid who hit them too but this is stupid. Happened not too far from my mother-in-law. I think the penalties for doing this (texting while driving) are WAY to lenient.

Quote :
A New Jersey judge will likely soon decide whether a woman who sent a text message to a male friend can be held liable for a car crash he caused while reading the message.

The Daily Record reports the legal question stems from a lawsuit filed by two Dover residents who were seriously injured when a 19-year-old driver crashed into their motorcycle in September 2009. One victim had one of his legs torn off above the knee, while the other had her leg amputated because the injury was so severe.

The driver received three motor vehicle citations and pleaded guilty earlier this year. He was ordered to speak to 14 high schools about the dangers of texting and driving and had to pay about $775 in fines, but his driver's license was not suspended.

The victim's lawyer claims the woman aided and abetted the driver's negligence by texting him when she knew or should have known he was driving.

However, her lawyer is seeking to have her dismissed as a defendant, saying she had no control over when the driver would read the message. He also claims the legal arguments made by the victims' attorney are not supported by case law.

For example, he said a passenger could be held liable for a crash if they encourage a young driver to speed or ignore traffic signals. But the woman had no control over the driver's conduct since she wasn't in the car.

In a deposition for the case, the woman said she didn't know whether her friend was driving when she texted him. But she also said she "may have known."

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/05/nj_judge_to_decide_if_text_sen.html
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash   N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash EmptySun May 06, 2012 12:26 pm

It's frivolous lawsuit. There REALLY should be some sort of law in place that decides when and what you can sue for. If you sue for bullshit, you should have to pay a penalty.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash   N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash EmptySun May 06, 2012 1:15 pm

I don't disagree but keep in mind this hasn't gotten to the point of being a lawsuit and I hope the judge has some functioning grey matter between his ears to keep it from getting to that point.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash   N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash EmptySun May 06, 2012 6:47 pm

We don't have a law against texting while driving - even tho it is as dangerous as driving drunk. IDK what illogic the legislature had for not making that law. It was introduced.

So all we have against driving and texting in Florida is a crazy old man on a bicycle yelling at ppl he sees texting and calling them a fucking idiot.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash   N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash EmptyMon May 07, 2012 1:11 pm

I think they should both serve jail time especially him for being a jerk and reading the message while driving.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash   N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash EmptyMon May 07, 2012 1:30 pm

LOL, nephew, enjoy your 5 extra rep points. My finger slipped. I'm going to have to disagree about both of them deserving jail time. My wife gets texts all the time while she's driving and when she doesn't answer right away the senders pester her about it some times and she tells them nicely (usually) that she was driving so they had to wait. She didn't make him read the text. I don't agree that people should be held responsible for providing the temptation.

I heard something on the radio this morning that this suit could be a legal strategy to use against the kid who hit the couple because, and I think I'm saying this right, a guilty plea can't be used in a civil suit. That's what was stated by a lawyer. So they may be trying to get her testimony admitted. Still a fucked up situation.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash   N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash EmptyMon May 07, 2012 2:55 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:
LOL, nephew, enjoy your 5 extra rep points. My finger slipped. I'm going to have to disagree about both of them deserving jail time. My wife gets texts all the time while she's driving and when she doesn't answer right away the senders pester her about it some times and she tells them nicely (usually) that she was driving so they had to wait. She didn't make him read the text. I don't agree that people should be held responsible for providing the temptation.

I heard something on the radio this morning that this suit could be a legal strategy to use against the kid who hit the couple because, and I think I'm saying this right, a guilty plea can't be used in a civil suit. That's what was stated by a lawyer. So they may be trying to get her testimony admitted. Still a fucked up situation.

co-signs
Back to top Go down
AtownPeep
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
AtownPeep

Female
Rep : 39

PostSubject: Re: N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash   N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash EmptyMon May 07, 2012 6:23 pm

Silly judge for even bothering to ponder such a thing. Anyone can send a text at any time. It's the recipients responsibility to have common sense enough to know when it is and isn't appropriate to read it.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash   N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash EmptyMon May 07, 2012 7:23 pm

AtownPeep wrote:
Silly judge for even bothering to ponder such a thing. Anyone can send a text at any time. It's the recipients responsibility to have common sense enough to know when it is and isn't appropriate to read it.
co-signs
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash   N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash EmptyFri May 25, 2012 5:02 pm

Good to hear common sense prevailed.

Quote :
Judge: Texter not liable in accident

Published: May 25, 2012 at 3:54 PM

MORRISTOWN, N.J., May 25 (UPI) -- A New Jersey judge said Friday a young woman was not liable even though she sent multiple texts to a driver involved in a disastrous accident.

Shannon Colonna was 17 at the time of the 2008 accident in Morris County. The driver Kyle Best was 18.

Morris County Superior Court Judge David Rand said Colonna had no way of knowing when Best would read the texts, and therefore had no responsibility for the accident, MSNBC reported.

Rand said drivers suffer from many forms of distraction -- text messages, notifications from smartphones, GPS devices or signs along the road, ABC News said.

Best's vehicle struck a motorcycle with David and Linda Kubert aboard, the report said. The couple, in their late 50s, suffered a number of injuries and each had to have a leg amputated.

Skippy Weinstein, the Kuberts' attorney, tried to include Colonna in a lawsuit. The (Newark) Star-Ledger said Colonna had eaten lunch with Best of Wharton and exchanged 62 text messages with him before the accident.

ABC said Best pleaded guilty to distracted driving, and records show Best responded to a text from Colonna seconds before dialing 911.

The Star-Ledger said Colonna testified she "probably" did not know that Best was driving when she texted, and she texts "probably like 110 [times] or more."

"I mean, I'm a young teenager," she said. "That's what we do."

The ABC report said Best was ordered to speak to 14 high schools about the dangers of driving and texting. He also had to pay $775 in fines, but his license was not suspended.

The Star-Ledger said the Kuberts have since moved to Florida, where David Kubert has been denied disability.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2012/05/25/Judge-Texter-not-liable-in-accident/UPI-35031337974375/#ixzz1vuhQEObd
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

PostSubject: Re: N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash   N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash EmptyFri May 25, 2012 5:53 pm

wonder how many brain cells the judge killed in this decision!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash   N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash Empty

Back to top Go down

N.J. judge to decide if text sender liable for car crash
Page 1 of 1