CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Shale
RedBedroom
6 posters

What happens when someone dies and has cancelled her life insurance and her family won't pay burial/cremation costs?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

What happens when someone dies and has cancelled her life insurance and her family won't pay burial/cremation costs? Empty What happens when someone dies and has cancelled her life insurance and her family won't pay burial/cremation costs?

Post by RedBedroom Wed May 23, 2012 12:22 am

Jay asked me this tonight. I have no idea what happens in such a case. My best guess is the family would be given the remains in a little black box.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

What happens when someone dies and has cancelled her life insurance and her family won't pay burial/cremation costs? Empty Re: What happens when someone dies and has cancelled her life insurance and her family won't pay burial/cremation costs?

Post by Shale Wed May 23, 2012 12:34 am

There are state laws that cover the disposal of indigent bodies. I guess they either cremate or bury in an unmarked gravesite.

My partner Jim died in New Orleans and had no money or plans. He wanted to be cremated and ashes taken to India but the authorities could not locate his daughter to consent so somehow he ended up in an above ground grave in one of the old Catholic cemeteries. I have the cemetery and # written down if I ever get back to New Orleans long enuf to visit.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

What happens when someone dies and has cancelled her life insurance and her family won't pay burial/cremation costs? Empty Re: What happens when someone dies and has cancelled her life insurance and her family won't pay burial/cremation costs?

Post by RedBedroom Wed May 23, 2012 12:40 am

Shale, do you think they cremate then hand the remains over?

The situation making us curious has to do with a person who has a plot, but not the money via life insurance or family payments to cremate her, which is what she wants.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed May 23, 2012 12:53 am

RedBedroom wrote:Shale, do you think they cremate then hand the remains over?...

IDK. probably varies by state.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Wed May 23, 2012 1:20 am

it does in fact vary by state... the counties are responsible for the disposal of "unclaimed" bodies.. there are articles online about the rise of the numbers of families who cannot afford to bury their dead--- especially in oregon, wisconsin, and connecticut. apparently families are being found, but really cant afford the service due to the economy.

once a body is "unclaimed" it becomes a ward of the state-- adn therefore teh family has no rigths to it--- including the ashes. you might have to look up the laws in your area, but from what i have read, it is up to the county whether the body is buried or cremated.. and what happens with the remains. My mother has two brothers who were buried by the state of PA and are located in "potter's field" without markers--- my grandmother was poor and living on welfare at teh time when the kids died of illness.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed May 23, 2012 11:35 am

Here in NY they will bury the body in a place called Potter's Field. Good luck trying to find your loved one then.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed May 23, 2012 11:54 am

I've heard sometimes they cremate & give the family the remains in a basic cardboard box. But it probably just depends on where you live.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed May 23, 2012 12:49 pm

They throw them in Potters Field.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:47 am