CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

2 posters

The Anatomy of Motive by John E. Douglas, FBI Mindhunter

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

The Anatomy of Motive by John E. Douglas, FBI Mindhunter Empty The Anatomy of Motive by John E. Douglas, FBI Mindhunter

Post by Supernova Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:35 am

I got this book in on loan from another library today. Has anybody read this? John E. Douglas worked for the FBI for 25 years and in this book he explains the why for murderers, rapists, arsonists, bombers, etc. I ordered this book in because some reviewers say after you read it you will be able to know the difference in the people as well, I'm sure it's just a sales pitch but it IS very eye opening about what goes on in the minds of these people and what played contributing factors to what they ultimately chose to become.

That's something that Douglas emphasizes heavily, though they all came from similar backgrounds in that all murderers and rapists were abused in some way or another as children, it didn't make them into what they were. Nothing excuses their behavior, regardless of what they are it's a matter of what they chose to DO, and the fact that they know to hide away from witnesses when they do what they do, instead of blindly trying to kill someone in front of a cop says plenty that they DO make the decision, they CHOOSE to do these things, it's not beyond their control, contrary to what some people would have us believe.

Something else he points out early on and I never knew about this one, you look at arson, bombings, burglaries, etc., they're all very sexually driven, even though they're not sexual crimes there seems to be some kind of sexualized angle to these crimes. Now there's something you wouldn't automatically think about upon hearing about somebody who set 2000 fires BEFORE escalating to murder like Son of Sam.

So far I find it a very informative book and I think I shall have to find a copy to own for myself; this is one I think it could come in very handy to keep onhand.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

The Anatomy of Motive by John E. Douglas, FBI Mindhunter Empty Re: The Anatomy of Motive by John E. Douglas, FBI Mindhunter

Post by wants2laugh Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:06 am

I actually have this.. has been on my shelf for years... guess im gonna go take it off the shelf and read it again
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

The Anatomy of Motive by John E. Douglas, FBI Mindhunter Empty Re: The Anatomy of Motive by John E. Douglas, FBI Mindhunter

Post by Supernova Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:48 pm

I'm loving this book, when I'm done reading it I'm going to have to find a copy for myself.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm