Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)?

Go down 
+10
Cheaps
Alan Smithee
Chris
Nhaiyel
Forgiveness Man
RedBedroom
Nystyle709
Shale
Tony Marino
Jason B.
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Jason B.
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Jason B.

Male
Rep : 70

Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)? Empty
PostSubject: Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)?   Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)? EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 2:11 pm

At work right now and earlier some of my coworkers were talking about kids today. One of my coworkers is an older gentleman who said he doesn't like what he's seeing of boys today, that they're not tough enough and are too coddled by everybody. Do you think this is so?
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)?   Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)? EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 2:33 pm

It depends, you have the boys that don't leave the house anymore other than to go to school. They sit inside all day and night playing with their electronic devices. Then you have the little wise guy boys who think they are tough and bad ass and have no respect for themselves or any adults in their miserable lives.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)?   Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)? EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 2:34 pm

How old is this 'older' gentleman. I was the first gen to be coddled - we post war baby boomers for the most part did not go without - unlike our parents who went thru the depression and a major war fought with brute force on the ground.

I lived in the 'burbs during my teens and first gen in my family to graduate HS.

My dad grew up on a farm in Mississippi - he was not coddled and I only got a little of that lifestyle in the summers when I visited my grandparents and did farm chores.

So, unless this 'older' gentleman is in his late 80s or 90s he likely was coddled as well.
Back to top Go down
Jason B.
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Jason B.

Male
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)?   Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)? EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 2:37 pm

Shale wrote:
How old is this 'older' gentleman.

I would say he's in his very late 50's or very early 60's. He talked about having a 11 year old grandson who his daughter spoils and babies and because of that he isn't much of a "fighter".
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)?   Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)? EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 2:46 pm

Jason B. wrote:
I would say he's in his very late 50's or very early 60's. He talked about having a 11 year old grandson who his daughter spoils and babies and because of that he isn't much of a "fighter".

I was never much of a fighter and I've been around since 1944. I guess it depends on the individual and his environment growing up. My grandsons, both in their early to mid 20s are not fighters as well and had the same home life growing up that I did - suburban.

Now my dad was raised as a good-ol-boy in MS and was a fighter, as boys/men of that generation often were. (He got kicked out of the Marines for fighting with another Marine. Go figure). However, my stepfather - same generation - raised in St. Louis and worked in an office was not a fighter - didn't need to be, that's what cops were for.

So, it comes down to environmental more than generational.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)?   Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)? EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 5:38 pm

Tony Marino wrote:
It depends, you have the boys that don't leave the house anymore other than to go to school. They sit inside all day and night playing with their electronic devices. Then you have the little wise guy boys who think they are tough and bad ass and have no respect for themselves or any adults in their miserable lives.

Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)? 35166

I think a lot of kids today in general are soft as marshmallows for the most part....and all this technology and whatnot they have access to have been more of a curse than a blessing. They don't have to right attitude or smarts to use it properly.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)?   Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)? EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 8:37 pm

I agree with Tony and NY.

I think "softer" kids is a product of how they spend their leisure time.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)?   Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)? EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 8:53 pm

Eh, yes and no. In some areas, I think being softer is a good thing. In other areas, I think we're really conditioning boys to avoid being men/embracing an anti-male culture as some sort of karmatic turnaround or something. I suppose it doesn't really matter what all the boys are doing. I can only influence my own sons and if/when I have them, that's what I'll do.
Back to top Go down
Nhaiyel
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Nhaiyel

Female
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)?   Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)? EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 10:47 pm

Yes, actually I do. In general, kids are too spoiled today. Boys in particular are a little too "over-protected" for their own good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.musicfanclubs.org/aaliyah/
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)?   Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)? EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 1:24 pm

Yes. I think this generation of boys/kids are more naive, reclusive, oversensitive and coddled than previous generations.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)?   Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)? EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 1:28 pm

Oh hell yeah! Back in my day, this is what we used our G.I. Joe "action figures" for.
Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)? Rat-hunter-gi-joe
Nowadays? Feh!
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)?   Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)? EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 1:47 pm

Chris wrote:
Yes. I think this generation of boys/kids are more naive, reclusive, oversensitive and coddled than previous generations.

co-signs

And because of this they don't socialize with other kids like they should be doing.

Back to top Go down
Cheaps
Cheaps

Female
Rep : 252

PostSubject: Re: Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)?   Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)? EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 1:50 pm

I dunno, both my nephews are pretty aggressive. Guess it depends.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)?   Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)? EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 3:02 pm

I guess that depends on the definitions of soft and tough because there are still plenty of little bastards who enjoy beating the crap out of anybody they don't like, though that's usually the smaller, weaker variety.
Back to top Go down
Verve
…is a Newbie.
…is a Newbie.
Verve

Male
Rep : 4

PostSubject: Re: Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)?   Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)? EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 9:44 pm

I think so. Some of it has to do with society becoming more liberal than ever before, allowing boys (and men) to not have to live up to certain gender expectations.
Back to top Go down
FireIce918
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
FireIce918

Female
Rep : 8

PostSubject: Re: Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)?   Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)? EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 11:51 pm

I think a good amount of them 30 and below are softer than a muthafucka. Meaning:

They don't know how to do basic shit like tinker around with a car, chop firewood, drive a 5 speed, fire up a grill, cut grass, etc. Don't even ask them to get dirty, they just got their nails buffed.

They don't know how to speak authoritatively. They barely know how to dress for a job interview.

They don't know how to put in hard work to get ahead.

They're too proud to work at TJMaxx or Lowes even if they're on their last dollar because they need to "save time" applying for "real jobs" in an office somewhere. Or worse, they fall into the drug game thinking they're "hustling hard" when really they just listen to too much Ace Hood on their free time and think they're him.

They're perfectly fine having their woman hold down the household. I don't care what nobody says, if you're in a heterosexual relationship and living with your significant other, without the king the house will crumble. If he's not contributing where it counts, what is his purpose?

They don't know how to have a relationship outside of text messaging or social networking. They do girlfriend cattle calls on Facebook, post about the first date from said cattle calls on Facebook, take pictures of the third date on Facebook, announce when they finally got the draws on Facebook, decide they really don't like the chick on Facebook, change their status from "single" to "in a relationship" to "single" to "engaged" to "single" in the same hour on Facebook...meanwhile they're responding to the same chick's phone calls with a text message while simultaneously liking a pic she posted on Facebook....and then wonder why she doesn't even want to be friends while updating his status via text to "where are all the real women at? Tired of going to bed alone."

I'm really concerned about these guys. That's why I thank God everyday for the one that I'm with, because from what I've seen, a lot of young men haven't been properly trained. Not saying they all have to fight and be rambunctious for no reason. But damn, learn how to stand on your own two like they did back in the day so I won't have to keep taking my car to the shop for minor issues that a real man can fix. Some of them seem to still be sipping on breast milk.
Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

PostSubject: Re: Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)?   Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)? EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 12:05 pm

Let's just say that they don't have the same amount of bass in their voice as previous generations did.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)?   Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is this generation of boys too soft (not tough enough)?
Page 1 of 1