CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
aublack40
Chris
Forgiveness Man
pisces33
Jason B.
9 posters

Erika Slezak agrees that there are too many teens on the show.

Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Erika Slezak agrees that there are too many teens on the show. Empty Erika Slezak agrees that there are too many teens on the show.

Post by Jason B. Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 am

tvguide.com latest article:tisk, tisk carlivati slezak the powerhouse is fed up of you: Bye bye your musical teen and gay agenda !!!

In her latest newsletter, six-time Emmy winner Erika Slezak says she’s looking forward to working with Jean Passanante’s new material. She says, “Jean is a wonderful writer. She left and went to other shows and she is a very clever woman and she has joined as a breakdown writer, and I think she is going to assist in story meetings and things like that. And I like her very much. She a very nice woman and has a lot of good ideas — so hopefully it will all work out. She‘s one of those kinds of writers who goes back to the core of the show, so I think that she will come up with stuff, hopefully, for the core characters — which will be nice. I think that’s required at this point.” Slezak goes on to say she agrees that young characters are overrunning One Life. “It’s too much,” she says. Head over to erikaslezak.com to read more from soap legend.
    pisces33
    pisces33
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 4

Erika Slezak agrees that there are too many teens on the show. Empty Re: Erika Slezak agrees that there are too many teens on the show.

Post by pisces33 Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:05 am

I read that, and agree with what she said. I also thought it could be a bit self-serving, but teens are running (ruining) the show right now.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Erika Slezak agrees that there are too many teens on the show. Empty Re: Erika Slezak agrees that there are too many teens on the show.

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:50 am

While I agree that all generations(teens included) need to be used, I've felt that their story was more interesting than the stuff the "core" characters have been given this year.

Besides, I think teens should be heavily used, but they gotta stop isolating them. The problem with these stories is that the teens are always always so isolated from everyone else, and the parents are used to prop them. Aside from the well done story of Matthew wanting to walk again(Which was mainly due to both sides having a relatable POV), this formula is tired and doesn't work.

They gotta use the teens/kids, but how about include them in stories WITH the adults where neither is there to prop the other but they both exist equally. That is sorely what is needed, balance.
    pisces33
    pisces33
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by pisces33 Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:18 am

Balance does not look good when the new head honcho at ABC was last running ABC family.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:36 am

While I agree with ES, I wonder if she ever takes these concerns or opinions up with the admin. She tends to be very vocal in her newsletter, but seems hands-off the rest of the time.
    aublack40
    aublack40
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 7

Post by aublack40 Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:51 pm

these are the same people that came thisclose to letting her &robin go and are writing them in latest ridiculous s/l
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:43 pm

I bet if the show wrote 80-90% of the teen characters (then put most of the few left on the backburner) and focused on nothing but the adult 25+ characters, the ratings would improve. The biggest misconception is that teens wanna see other teens. Not always true. When I was watching as a teen, my favorite characters were the adults. Thinking back on it, the kids were actually my LEAST favorite characters back then.

Teenagers are don't tune in in droves to watch a soap just because it features characters their age. Meanwhile the long time adult viewers tune out because they've got no interest in seeing adolescent stories, while their established favorites get backburnered. It's a no win situation.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:07 pm

^^^^Don't be so sure. I really don't think that most people care about the character's ages if the story is well written. I can't believe that if the show focused on Viki/Dorian, but wrote for them like this, that the ratings would improve. Give me well written teens over cartoonish 50+ any day. Besides, I think if all of the current teens were better utilized with the adults, people wouldn't mind so much.
    gmruss4
    gmruss4
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by gmruss4 Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:04 pm

I have to agree with her but I am glad they have slacked up on their s/l for awhile.
    tandmfan
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 0

Post by tandmfan Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:36 am

I agree that the show is too teen heavy. I'm hoping that the storylines get better with the new writer. This year has been pretty disappointing so far.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:59 am

ABC Daytime has been stalking the teen demographic since the early 90s, and I haven't seen where it's improved productivity at all.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

I agree with her but I also agree with you, Chris - that it's also self-serving. To be honest, the storylines I've seen for the vets the past couple of months ahve been far from appealing. I don't mind the teens but wish it were not so teen-heavy. I think Cole needs to go for sure and Starr needs to move on with James. The Teen musical was a total disaster as far as I was concerned but it did give me a week or two of vacation from OLTL, as I refused to watch. I think they need to break up Stale and move Starr on to James, write Cole off, and then let the focus shift from the teens, though I don't mind James. Would like to see a storyline with him but he's the only teen I'm really interested in. If Stale break up, I'll be more interested in Starr but as logn as she's with Cole, I have no interest in any of their scenes or a storyline with them. Pair Cole with Hannah and write them off.
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:28 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:^^^^Don't be so sure. I really don't think that most people care about the character's ages if the story is well written. I can't believe that if the show focused on Viki/Dorian, but wrote for them like this, that the ratings would improve. Give me well written teens over cartoonish 50+ any day. Besides, I think if all of the current teens were better utilized with the adults, people wouldn't mind so much.

I think the cartoonish 50-somethings are a result of the show being too focused on the younger sect. They just throw silly, uninspired material at the middle aged characters, while wasting a bunch of real time writing for the HS/College sect characters.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 11:37 pm