Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'?

Go down 
+5
CeCe
Shale
Forgiveness Man
Nystyle709
Supernova
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'? Empty
PostSubject: Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'?   Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'? EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 12:41 pm

On September 11th, I saw the front page story of the newspaper was covering the young children in school who are learning about 9/11, and the caption under the picture said 'These children are learning that patriotism means remembering 9/11'. Sorry, I don't agree with that and I don't think it's right to give kids that idea, sounds like a warped view of what patriotism is.

I was a kid when 9/11 happened and I like millions of others grew up in the paranoid Big Brother fear everything state. And since I went through it myself it DOES make me wonder what the children in the next generations are going to learn, being born into the same state of panic but not knowing the reason why until they're older and learn about the attack on the WTC.

Now maybe this is just me, but maybe not, but is anybody else sick and tired of the way that days before September 11th even rolls around the TV is full of channels that spend all day every day rolling the footage of the towers collapsing and have all the people talking about what was going on that day? What, people didn't get their fill of it when it first happened, they WANT to relive it? We get it, it was horrible, lots of people died, lots more are GOING to die from the ground zero dust, but it's not doing anybody any good obsessing about it every minute of every day, and as my mother pointed out, it sure as hell isn't going to bring any of the dead back.

I don't know, of course this is easier for me to say because I'm not a parent so I don't have to deal with this yet, but I think by the time I have kids, HOPEFULLY by that time some of the hysteria will have died out, but when I have kids, I sure as hell am not going to teach them that sabes que 'it's patriotic to remember the day that everything went to hell' and then to talk about it and think about it and focus on it every single day of your life.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'?   Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'? EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 12:50 pm

Well, I've noticed that 9/11 coverage has been happening less and less. This year, there were far less people who showed up at the memorial site in the reading of names than there was 5+ years ago. It wasn't broadcast on every station like it usually. 9/11 is going to eventually become like D-day in terms of history. People will forget eventually (maybe not NY'ers).....especially when the towers open for business.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'?   Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'? EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 1:08 pm

I don't see channels showing much footage at all. :?

I don't think remembering 9/11 equals patriotism. Lots of people can remember, but few can truly learn.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'?   Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'? EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 1:51 pm

In the US, Sept. 11, 2001 replaced the original "Day that will live in infamy," Dec 7, 1941 when 2,402 Americans were killed at Pearl Harbor and another 1200 wounded.

I grew up with that and my uncle enlisted in the Marines shortly after, just as so many joined the military for the reason of 9-11. That was the patriotism.

Anything down the line will just be history, something for kids to learn about but with each generation will lose its impact or even be replaced by a greater day that will live in infamy.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'?   Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'? EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 2:44 pm

I actually didn't see much coverage at all. But it's not surprising. Time passes. People forget. Not saying that's right, just human nature I think. But as for the question, no I don't believe remembering 9/11 equals patriotism. But it should always be remembered because of the horror & inhumanity toward innocent people.
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male
Rep : 127

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'?   Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'? EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 6:16 pm

Shale wrote:
In the US, Sept. 11, 2001 replaced the original "Day that will live in infamy," Dec 7, 1941 when 2,402 Americans were killed at Pearl Harbor and another 1200 wounded.

Anything down the line will just be history, something for kids to learn about but with each generation will lose its impact or even be replaced by a greater day that will live in infamy.
co-signs
Back to top Go down
Suzi
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Suzi

Female
Rep : 85

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'?   Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'? EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 6:20 pm

My father joined the Navy because of Pearl Harbor day, I was just 2 years old. Pearl Harbor day is a part of history the same as 9-11 is now.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'?   Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'? EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 6:03 pm

"Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'?"

Not particularly in and of itself.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'?   Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 12:39 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
Well, I've noticed that 9/11 coverage has been happening less and less. This year, there were far less people who showed up at the memorial site in the reading of names than there was 5+ years ago. It wasn't broadcast on every station like it usually. 9/11 is going to eventually become like D-day in terms of history. People will forget eventually (maybe not NY'ers).....especially when the towers open for business.

co-signs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'?   Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you consider remembering 9/11 to be 'patriotism'?
Page 1 of 1