Chicago Public School Strike Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chicago Public School Strike

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

Chicago Public School Strike Empty
PostSubject: Chicago Public School Strike   Chicago Public School Strike EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 1:49 am

They keep talking about the last strike 25 years ago...I was in elem. then in Chi. We had a very long break!

So, if you have read or heard about it, what are your thoughts?

I feel like, right now, in this economy, it is pretty shitty to strike over wages and when it comes to everything else, they need to do that on the cusp of a break, such as summer or winter break.

These teachers are not getting paid during a strike.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Chicago Public School Strike   Chicago Public School Strike EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 1:19 pm

From what I understand, Red, pay isn't the only thing the teachers have walked out over. Evaluations and re-hiring laid off teachers first (as oppsed to giving the school admin the power to choose who they want to hire) are other issues. I do sympathize with public school teachers...up to a point. As for the teachers not getting paid while they're on strike, don't hold your breath. Don't be surprised if they get that back pay when they finally do go back.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Chicago Public School Strike   Chicago Public School Strike EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 4:10 pm

Do you really think they get back-pay when they return? That would really be something. Because the news reports I have read have been talking about the no-pay thing at length. Perhaps they are just trying to keep teachers in the public's favor.

Yeah, I know there's more on the table other than wages. Wages seem to be what they are continually not able to find common ground with.

This is all a big win for charter schools. I bet they won't have low enrollment.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Chicago Public School Strike   Chicago Public School Strike EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 7:31 pm

I've heard of it, but I'm not familiar with the details. If it's anything like the education system here, I feel for them.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Chicago Public School Strike   Chicago Public School Strike EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 7:45 pm

RedBedroom wrote:
Do you really think they get back-pay when they return? That would really be something. Because the news reports I have read have been talking about the no-pay thing at length. Perhaps they are just trying to keep teachers in the public's favor.

Yeah, I know there's more on the table other than wages. Wages seem to be what they are continually not able to find common ground with.

This is all a big win for charter schools. I bet they won't have low enrollment.

It wouldn't be unheard of. I can recall more than a few teacher strikes here. Judges ordered them back to work with the threat of jail (for the people in charge of the union). Nobody went to jail and they all got full pay.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Chicago Public School Strike   Chicago Public School Strike EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 8:03 pm

Just heard on the news that it's over - back to school tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Chicago Public School Strike   Chicago Public School Strike EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 12:25 pm

I have not heard anything about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chicago Public School Strike   Chicago Public School Strike Empty

Back to top Go down

Chicago Public School Strike
Page 1 of 1