CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Nystyle709
Chris
6 posters

Twenty dirtiest cities in America

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Twenty dirtiest cities in America Empty Twenty dirtiest cities in America

Post by Chris Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:37 pm

Did your city, or surrounding area, make the list? If so, do you agree?

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/americas-dirtiest-cities

No. 20 Chicago
    Even though the Windy City has scored poorly on America’s “Litter Scorecard,” it has upped its standing with Travel Leisure readers by two slots since last year—perhaps in part by beefing up its littering laws to a minimum of $100 for any ticket. Voters were also willing to overlook some littered sidewalks for the sake of the top-ranked architecture and the nation’s best pizza.

No. 19 Phoenix/Scottsdale
    The desert city moved into the dirty top 20 this year, and also landed at No. 7 on the American Lung Association’s list of the most air-polluted cities. It may even be affecting the local self-esteem: the city also ranked in last place for its sense of civic pride. Voters love this city most during the mild-weathered Christmastime and winter.

No. 18 Anchorage
    The surge of tourists during the summer season may add to the litter problem in this park-rich Alaska city, which has otherwise been applauded for having clean air. It’s not raucous partiers who are leaving a trail of trash, either: voters ranked Anchorage next-to-last for its bar scene. Anchorage also scored poorly for its spotty Wi-Fi.

No. 17 Orlando
    Mother always said to pick up after yourself: this family vacation mecca landed at a sippy-cup-strewn No. 17 for the third year in a row. Speaking of drinks, the city also ranked near the bottom for its cocktail scene, as well as its fine dining. Even so, readers gave it props for its warm weather and the buffet of hotel options.

No. 16 San Antonio
    The Texas city has festive flea markets, barbecue, and a legendary old fort—and none of them are known for being pristine. The city didn’t budge from its slot since last year, but visitors can help prevent air pollution by exploring the city with one of the rented bicycles from the downtown B-Cycle program ($10 for a 24-hour pass, or first 30 minutes free then $2 per half-hour).

No. 15 San Juan, P.R.
    Old San Juan may look a bit more unkempt than one of the island’s big beach resorts, but plenty of visitors love the romantic city for that reason. The city got four slots cleaner this year in the eyes of voters, who also found plenty of other appealing things to gaze at, from the top-ranked ethnic cuisine to the nation’s most gorgeous locals.

No. 14 Boston
    One of the finest moments in this historic city was when patriots made a mess of tea in the harbor. More recently, the city acted to contain sidewalk litter by tripling the number of “big belly” solar-powered trash compactors on city streets, which keep cans from overflowing. Voters also applauded the city for its hometown-loving, tech-savvy locals.

No. 13 Las Vegas
    It’s the No. 2 city for wild weekends, cocktails, and people-watching—so it’s no wonder that the place may look a little worse for wear. But Sin City is trying to clean up its image, in one way: a new city ordinance says that the guys handing out adult-oriented flyers on the sidewalks now have to pick up any dropped cards every 15 minutes.

No. 12 Washington, D.C.
    Is there just too much trash-talking in our nation’s capital? Aside from having big-city litter, Washington, D.C., ranked near the bottom for being unfriendly. Voters still liked the museums and mass transit and, bad manners aside, put it in the top 10 for a family vacation.

No. 11 San Francisco
    The foodie capital of the nation ranks near the top of the AFC for its fine dining, ethnic cuisine, and cafés. But all that takeout can pile up. A recent study found that one of the biggest culprits for pollution in the San Francisco Bay is food containers—though ironically, they may be floating in from neighboring cities. Voters also commended the locals for being brainy and diverse.

No. 10 Houston
    Houston also made the American Lung Association’s top 10 for the worst ozones in the nation. If you want a nice excuse to stay indoors in this oil town, use the highly ranked burger joints and antique shops; the city also ranked well for being pleasantly affordable.

No. 9 Memphis
    Memphis has improved five slots since last year, perhaps thanks to concerned citizens who can report litterbugs’ license plates on the 52-Clean hotline. Offenders get only a scolding letter in the mail—perhaps proof of the locals’ easygoing nature. Voters also put Memphis in the top 10 for its purposely sloppy barbecue and unrestrained music scene.

No. 8 Miami
    The Florida city—home to extremely polluted soil, according to one recent study—is holding onto its AFC spot from last year, and voters seemed to sense an overall chaos around town: Miami ranked near the bottom for noise and won the award for the nation’s worst drivers. But the locals still look fabulous: they ranked near the top for their style and good looks.

No. 7 Dallas/Fort Worth
    According to data, the Dallas area may have less of an ozone problem than Houston, but it still leapfrogged over its fellow Texas city and into the Dirtiest 10 this year. Perhaps voters didn’t find enough green space: the cities ranked last for their public parks. Locals here may prefer ballparks instead—these Texans also ranked in the top 10 for being sports-crazed.

No. 6 Philadelphia
    The City of Brotherly Love is moving in the right direction: last year, it ranked a gritty No. 2. Even so, while readers like that they can walk around town so easily, that may have given them an up-close view of the litter. Luckily, voters were also easily distracted by Philly’s fabulous microbrews and plentiful pizza.

No. 5 Atlanta
    The Sun Belt city moved four spots closer to the Most Dirty prize this year, and ranked next-to-last for feeling safe. Atlanta is trying to get rid of one unsightly presence—cigarette butts—by banning smoking in parks, with fines of up to $1,000. Readers otherwise liked the city’s genteel shopping and the unapologetically messy barbecue.

No. 4 Los Angeles
    That bad rap for smog has been hard to shake—especially when the Lung Association has ranked L.A. in the top three for the nation’s worst air pollution. The bright side? Voters still found the sunny skies appealing and applauded the city’s less-than-gleaming features, such as the classic burgers and kitsch-filled flea markets.

No. 3 Baltimore
    Does this Maryland city need an army of cats? County officials have been reportedly getting more complaints about rats this year, which may be one reason the city creeped up from last year’s No. 6. But plenty of voters still see Charm City’s lovable side, ranking it well for its classical music and quirky locals.

No. 2 New Orleans
    Between hurricanes and the tornado of detritus that comes with Mardi Gras every year, Crescent City can be forgiven for having a tough time keeping up with debris. Some would say it even complements the city’s old-style but offbeat atmosphere: it’s also the No. 1 city for wild weekends, bars, and friendly locals.

No. 1 New York City
    After ranking a tidier No. 5 last year, NYC has regained its No. 1 spot for grit and grime. Some have argued that littering fines here—up to 10 days in jail—should be tougher, but pollution isn’t always just what you see or smell: New York also won the survey for being the loudest and rudest city. Plenty of voters embrace that over-the-top personality, however: the city also ranked first for its theater, stylish locals, and luxury stores.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Twenty dirtiest cities in America Empty Re: Twenty dirtiest cities in America

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:18 pm

NYC is #1 and it's fitting for the most part.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:24 pm

I guess it makes sense that Chi makes the top 20, given its size. But I have to say, the downtown area is so clean for such a large city.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:08 pm

Phoenix/Scottsdale? They have got to be kidding. Scottsdale is one of the wealthiest areas probably in the US, and it looked real tidy to me the few times we were there. People do not live outdoors all that much there because of the heat. We were there in fact many years ago when they actually got a snowfall, the children (of all ages) of course went nuts. it was only just a very light snow but for kids who had never seen snow it was a real delight. It even made the evening news.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:18 am

"No. 8 Miami
    The Florida city—home to extremely polluted soil, according to one recent study—is holding onto its AFC spot from last year, and voters seemed to sense an overall chaos around town: Miami ranked near the bottom for noise and won the award for the nation’s worst drivers. ..."

I just got in from Washington DC tonight and on the way to Miami Beach a car just pulled in front of the bus. Luckily the bus driver managed to stop before creaming the car. I just thot, well home again.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:38 am

Made me laugh to realize that I have been to more than half of those cities LOL

The cleanest place I ever saw was Savannah GA... the historical squares area looked like a movie set it was so clean.. i couldnt believe it, it did not look real
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:31 am

RedBedroom wrote:I guess it makes sense that Chi makes the top 20, given its size. But I have to say, the downtown area is so clean for such a large city.

Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised when I visited Chicago and saw how clean it was. I was down by the Sears Tower and Navy Pier and I literally saw no trash or junk on the streets. If the crime factor got better, I'd consider moving there. My brother is moving there the beginning of next year.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:19 am

Nystyle709 wrote:

Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised when I visited Chicago and saw how clean it was. I was down by the Sears Tower and Navy Pier and I literally saw no trash or junk on the streets. If the crime factor got better, I'd consider moving there. My brother is moving there the beginning of next year.

I hope your brother has an excellent move, NY. Chicago is an amazing city.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:36 am