CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Nystyle709
RedBedroom
Supernova
Chris
8 posters

The old 'music video'-centric MTV

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

The old 'music video'-centric MTV Empty The old 'music video'-centric MTV

Post by Chris Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:19 am

Do you miss the music video centric MTV of pre-1992, or do you prefer streaming the videos you want to see online?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

The old 'music video'-centric MTV Empty Re: The old 'music video'-centric MTV

Post by Supernova Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:21 pm

Seeing them online is okay but I wish MTV would've stuck to its roots and remained a 24/7 music video channel. Why do they even bother keeping the name now? Other than its established and people know what to expect from it, which today is very little.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:57 pm

I miss MTV as it was, for nostalgia reasons only. I don't watch many videos and when I do, it is most often online. If I missed sitting on the couch watching videos, I could always record the couple hours MTV does air them in the morning. But I never do that.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:38 pm

Definitely miss watching them on t.v. I only watch videos online if I'm in a nostalgic mood. Or, there are some new videos out there that I need to catch up on cause I have no idea what's out right now.
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:16 pm

Streaming is convenient, but such an unspectacular experience. Music videos on TV used to be such an event and could be really memorable when everybody was gathered around the TV to watch them.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:27 pm

I do, but you gotta keep it perspective. If they were still about the videos, what would be running all day? Gaga....Ke$ha....Katy Perry....Eminem....

I miss MTV's old format....but I miss their old 1989 playlist just as much. So.....
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:24 am

Marc wrote:I do, but you gotta keep it perspective. If they were still about the videos, what would be running all day? Gaga....Ke$ha....Katy Perry....Eminem....

I miss MTV's old format....but I miss their old 1989 playlist just as much. So.....

+1
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:10 am

What I miss about old MTV is how they used to premiere videos all day. The new Michael Jackson video would air at 12pm, then again at 2pm, then again at 6pm, then again at 11pm. Music videos used to be "events", now they're not and the budgets have gotten smaller (which makes the concepts cheaper) because it's not worth being all extravagant for YouTube.

But since I aged out of their 12 to 24 y/o target audience almost 10 years ago, MTV really couldn't care less what I think. But I do feel sorry for this generation of teens who only know MTV for its dating-reality-profile shows and will never know the semblance of what music videos used to mean.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 8:29 pm