Logic you had as a kid that made more sense than what you know now Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Logic you had as a kid that made more sense than what you know now

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

Logic you had as a kid that made more sense than what you know now Empty
PostSubject: Logic you had as a kid that made more sense than what you know now   Logic you had as a kid that made more sense than what you know now EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 2:38 am

Do you ever look back on things you thought of as a kid and compared to how you view the same things now, think some things made more sense the first way you perceived it?

A few days ago I got to thinking about the things I thought or the way I knew things as a kid, and it is a much more simplistic way to look at a lot of things and maybe not very practical especially in today's world, but I'm not sure that was a bad thing.

One thing I think about, when I was a kid I knew people took pills for medicine when they were sick, I knew people got sick once in a while, I didn't know some people needed pills every single day of their lives, especially psychiatric pills, I didn't know anything about mental illness as a kid, all I knew was that some people were normal and some were crazy. To be honest I don't know that that's a bad way for a kid to grow up because I never had that idea 'oh everybody takes pills, sometimes for no reason at all, sometimes to feel good, so maybe I should try it too', pills were only if you were sick and even then I never wanted any because they made me sick and I couldn't swallow them, and if somebody would've told me then that people swallow whole bottles' full for no reason, I would've thought THEY were crazy.

Another thing when I was a kid, I had never heard of things like trauma or post traumatic stress, it never occurred to me that by living through something horrible or tragic, that THAT would be grounds for seeing a shrink. In my child's mind the way I saw it was you went through something horrible: somebody died, you got kidnapped, you were almost killed, etc., you get over it and move on with your life like everything else and that was that. Another thing I'm not sure is a bad mindset for kids to grow up with because I knew bad things happen, you have nightmares about those bad things, but everybody has nightmares and they're all just dreams and dreams don't mean anything once you wake up. I mean that's what we're taught when we're tiny, no matter how scared we are or how real it is, we're told it's not real, it can't hurt us, so don't let it bother us, etc., and it doesn't always work but that's what we're told. We're expected to just get over it no matter how frightening it is, so why wouldn't the same logic apply when you were older? But that's just me.

Anybody else got a then and now view on life that they'd like to share?
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Logic you had as a kid that made more sense than what you know now   Logic you had as a kid that made more sense than what you know now EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 4:40 am

I did not read your post.

It was long.

Honestly, I always wondered about Dad's mistresses....Especially Kathy or Cathy. She was the one he really loved and now that I am older and know a bit about her history, I so want to seek our her parents or her kids. She is dead, that I know. But I want to know her parents.

Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Logic you had as a kid that made more sense than what you know now   Logic you had as a kid that made more sense than what you know now EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 12:56 pm

I did read your post and some of the things you mention weren't just a kids perception. Post Traumatic Stress is a new term probably from the Vietnam era. Before that soldiers who had psych probs after a war were diagnosed with 'shell shock.' Then later PTSD was applied to anyone who had a violent experience - explaining some of the recurring psych probs that were common with that.

So, you have to consider the time you were a child.

As an adolescent (like adolescents have done forever) I masturbated. But in my time there was no surgeon general or other sex educators saying it was a natural and healthy way to release sexual tension - it was called self-abuse and there was a very negative aspect to it. So, we snuck around doing it feeling like pervs. I, and society have since changed our perspective (except cigar soaking politicians like Bill Clinton who fired that surgeon general for her valid statements).

I grew up in a cigarette smoking world, where we kids were admonished that it would stunt our growth. Still, as a teen I started smoking cigs (I was taller than my mother and father by then). Societal, and my perceptions finally changed when the studies were all conclusive that cigarette smoking was a major cause of some fatal diseases. I knew personally it affected my upper respiratory health.

Of course you know that my negative views on sex changed with the culture in the 1960s when I became sexually active. Actually, I had been sneaking around exploring sexuality with my peers from an early age. In the sixties we just did it in the road.
Back to top Go down
Minerva
…is Significant.
…is Significant.
Minerva

Female
Rep : 18

PostSubject: Re: Logic you had as a kid that made more sense than what you know now   Logic you had as a kid that made more sense than what you know now EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 6:46 pm

Yes and I really like your post and the ideas you brought up. It brings to mind somethings I always believed when I was a kid.

I thought that the only reason people stole money was because they were hungry and needed it to pay for food to eat. Or they needed money to pay for shelter.

In other words, they didn't steal for any other reason other than they were poor. I never would have understood people like Bernie Madoff or the guy who ripped off all the people by embezzling the pension funds and 401ks from the members of my union. In many ways I still don't understand why. Both of them were already rich as Midas.

I thought that doctors always were able to cure people because they went to school to learn how to do it and teachers were always smarter than students because they went to school to learn more than the average person.

And grownups knew more because they had lived longer and therefore had a longer time to acquire more knowledge.

And all medicine was good for you otherwise why else take it?

And no one would harm a kid because they were, well a kid.

Gosh I could go on! But you the idea; totally different picture as an adult of course, but that's called growing up.

Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Logic you had as a kid that made more sense than what you know now   Logic you had as a kid that made more sense than what you know now EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 7:42 pm

Minerva wrote:
Yes and I really like your post and the ideas you brought up. It brings to mind somethings I always believed when I was a kid.

I thought that the only reason people stole money was because they were hungry and needed it to pay for food to eat. Or they needed money to pay for shelter.

In other words, they didn't steal for any other reason other than they were poor. I never would have understood people like Bernie Madoff or the guy who ripped off all the people by embezzling the pension funds and 401ks from the members of my union. In many ways I still don't understand why. Both of them were already rich as Midas.

You really had a point with this one, as a kid I don't think ANY of us knew what embezzling was and when we thought about somebody stealing, we thought about bank robberies or home burglaries, people in black clothes and masks busting in with guns and taking what they wanted. And I'm with you, as a kid I never really thought about what kind of people would be thieves or what they would take the money and goods for, like were they rich, were they poor, was it a matter of survival to them, etc.?
Back to top Go down
Minerva
…is Significant.
…is Significant.
Minerva

Female
Rep : 18

PostSubject: Re: Logic you had as a kid that made more sense than what you know now   Logic you had as a kid that made more sense than what you know now EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:06 pm

You really had a point with this one, as a kid I don't think ANY of us knew what embezzling was and when we thought about somebody stealing, we thought about bank robberies or home burglaries, people in black clothes and masks busting in with guns and taking what they wanted. And I'm with you, as a kid I never really thought about what kind of people would be thieves or what they would take the money and goods for, like were they rich, were they poor, was it a matter of survival to them, etc.?[/quote]

I know! I remember thinking if only they had food and shelter they wouldn't need to steal. I didn't understand why they couldn't have jobs like my mom and dad did because I thought that's how everyone was supposed to get money.

We had a box we would put in our extra pennies for the poor people. I thought it was only poor people who didn't have money or who needed it. It was logical to me as a kid that those were the ones who would steal if they were desperate enough.

Of course when you are a kid, you really do believe the good guys always win too because they're good. That's kid logic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Logic you had as a kid that made more sense than what you know now   Logic you had as a kid that made more sense than what you know now Empty

Back to top Go down

Logic you had as a kid that made more sense than what you know now
Page 1 of 1